Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Windsong's UK passport application thread - Timeline,docs,photos

Windsong's UK passport application thread - Timeline,docs,photos

Old Jul 5th 2013, 7:45 pm
Banned

sile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nice
Default Re: Passports

Originally Posted by windsong
I went to gov.uk to the passports section and it says at least six weeks. I called the British Embassy in Wash DC - useless! They gave me a 900 number to call with questions but I can't call it from my cell phone and I don't have a landline.

I also asked about payment. They said it must be by Visa or MasterCard. I said what if I don't want to pay with a credit card and would rather pay cash. They didn't know what to do with that one. I asked if payments are processed here or in the UK - they didn't know the answer.

Talk about frustrated!
Sorry, I misread. I thought you said the U.S. one would take six weeks.

How about calling directly to the UK on Monday about this? It's cheap to call from a cell phone.
Old Jul 5th 2013, 7:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sile
Sorry, I misread. I thought you said the U.S. one would take six weeks.

How about calling directly to the UK on Monday about this? It's cheap to call from a cell phone.
Yes, that's what I will have to do - a delay of another couple of days due to inefficiency.

It seems the US passport takes 2-3 weeks but the UK passport takes at least six weeks. The applications are checked in Washington DC but the passport itself comes from the UK.
Old Jul 5th 2013, 7:50 pm
Banned

sile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nice

http://traveltips.usatoday.com/renew...sa-105860.html
Old Jul 5th 2013, 7:52 pm
Banned

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports
Old Jul 5th 2013, 7:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Sile, I think this might be old data. It quotes a higher price for the passport, too. It also says they accept money orders while the embassy told me they did not. They really should make it easy to call the passport help center from a mobile phone. I think they forget they are providing a service to their citizens so they should make it easier for them.
Old Jul 5th 2013, 7:55 pm
Banned

I do think that if you don't have to show a round trip ticket when entering the UK, your best, easiest way would be to go in on your US passport. then deal with renewing your UK one once there. Just my thought...I'm certainly no expert
Old Jul 5th 2013, 7:56 pm
Banned

Sile, I think this might be old data. It quotes a higher price for the passport, too. It also says they accept money orders while the embassy told me they did not. They really should make it easy to call the passport help center from a mobile phone. I think they forget they are providing a service to their citizens so they should make it easier for them.
Take a look at the next link. Maybe that's more up to date.
Old Jul 5th 2013, 8:08 pm
Banned

Windsong! Read this. I found it on another thread.

Re: UK Passport timeline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
Somebody has just started another thread TODAY ("weeding out...) to which one commenter said that the Washington Consulate was closing this autumn! Anybody on this present thread know if that's true?
I should clarify; the Consulate will remain, the Regional Passport Processing Centre will close. All passport applications from British residents of the Americas will be made directly to the UK from then on.
Old Jul 5th 2013, 8:11 pm
Banned

READ THIS!
Re: Uk passport renewal times in the USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoFan63
That's where it gets stupid. Even though I had one of the old black passports and it wasn't attached, they said there were going to treat it as a renewal, because I'd stated on my application that I'd held a UK passport before. So because the old passport wasn't attached they were sending off to the UK for some confirmation that I'd had a passport before. The examiner told me that would take two weeks, so at the moment I've been waiting 3 weeks since they took the money and 1 week since I spoke to the examiner. At this rate it will be another week before they approve it and possibly another week before I get the passport.

I'm hoping to fly out on April 2nd, but that of course depends on if I get the passport in time..lol. I'm heading to the UK permanently...so I'm impatient to get the passport and get going

>>>>>>AFAIK if your old PP expired over 10 years ago it is not treated as a renewal...but as a first time application.
Old Jul 5th 2013, 9:06 pm
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sile
I do think that if you don't have to show a round trip ticket when entering the UK, your best, easiest way would be to go in on your US passport. then deal with renewing your UK one once there. Just my thought...I'm certainly no expert
Not if she wants to stay indefinitely.
Old Jul 5th 2013, 9:11 pm
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

I went to gov.uk to the passports section and it says at least six weeks. I called the British Embassy in Wash DC - useless! They gave me a 900 number to call with questions but I can't call it from my cell phone and I don't have a landline.

I also asked about payment. They said it must be by Visa or MasterCard. I said what if I don't want to pay with a credit card and would rather pay cash. They didn't know what to do with that one. I asked if payments are processed here or in the UK - they didn't know the answer.

Also, most of the time a human being doesn't answer the phone. I was lucky - sort of!

Talk about frustrated!
Easiest thing to do is to just pay with a credit card. Then just pay the bill when it comes. No sense in making things harder, you know?
Old Jul 5th 2013, 9:19 pm
WhiteRabbit

Here's a big, recent discussion about this very issue:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...on+US+passport
Old Jul 6th 2013, 1:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

I have an appointment at the post office today to renew my US passport. (It's expired.) I asked the man at the post office who made the appointment exactly what they do - if they send in the application, etc. He couldn't tell me. He said he only makes the appointment. I have NO idea how this is supposed to work. I imagine they simply verify the documents and I send in the application. Is that correct?
Old Jul 6th 2013, 1:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by rebeccajo
Here's a big, recent discussion about this very issue:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...on+US+passport
Thank you! It's very helpful.
Old Jul 6th 2013, 1:41 pm
WhiteRabbit

I have an appointment at the post office today to renew my US passport. (It's expired.) I asked the man at the post office who made the appointment exactly what they do - if they send in the application, etc. He couldn't tell me. He said he only makes the appointment. I have NO idea how this is supposed to work. I imagine they simply verify the documents and I send in the application. Is that correct?
They will go over the details of your application with you.

They will take a passport photo for you (if you don't bring one in). I will add here that if you have a knowledgeable clerk, they might reject a photo you bring to them if it doesn't meet their specifications.

They will make sure you provide the proper identity documents.

They will collect the fee and send the application off for you.

It's all pretty simple.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.