Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Want to move but cannot afford to move back any suggestions?

Want to move but cannot afford to move back any suggestions?

Old Feb 11th 2013, 9:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Want to move but cannot afford to move back any suggestions?

Originally Posted by BlueMorpho
I might have been intended to prevent arranged marriages and the influx of those husbands and brides from India and Pakistan, but what it does is exactly what the original poster has found out- effectively exclude British Citizens who happened to have met and fallen in love with a foreigner from returning home without months of separation and or financial distress...sickening.
What's great about this forum is that at least we know we are not alone!
I am in almost exactly the same predicament as the OP. We decided as a couple, married for 17 years with an 11 year old daughter, that now is the right time to return to my country of birth. We started to look into how to do it at the beginning of this year, thinking that would give us time to sell our house (and net far more than £64k), arrange for everything we own to be shipped, to settle down in our family house (which we would start to pay the mortgage on so as to keep in the property game), and importantly for us, find a school where my daughter can get a good education (because that is not going to happen where I am now!).
Before I looked at the current laws-we'd looked a few years ago when we'd started considering a move back then- I assumed that being a Citizen, with an American wife and a child who is also a Citizen, that 8 months (ie. to arrive in the UK a few weks before school starts to get settled) would be far more than adequate to deal with matters!!!
Boy, how I was mistaken.

It is distressing, depressing, aggravating, misguided law making that catches innocent citizens in a wide net that is poorly designed to begin with. We truly are collateral damage. Dolphins in a tuna net if you will.

However, keep your chin up. Laws are made by people and can be changed, so even if right now it seems impossible, it isn't.
Good luck.

I want to go home to the UK so badly I can taste it; however, I am also getting a bit concerned about matters in the UK. What is going on with the immigration over there? I have been reading about complaints from the UK citizens because some of the animals killed for meat are not stunned before their are killed (halal meat!) - and so they should be! I never thought I would see the day when animal-loving Britain would do such a thing. Are there really so many immigrants over there that "our" British laws are being changed to accommodate them to the extent that it is destroying the British way of life? In my opinion, this is just not right! What other laws have changed because of all these immigrants? I have also read about immigrants sapping the welfare benefits dry over and above UK-born citizens.

I went to university in Scotland with students from many other countries. They were my friends and I accepted them gladly. But if they want to stay in "my" country, then they adhere to UK laws. UK laws should not change to accommodate immigrants.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 10:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I believe that kosher and halal slaughter of animals has been permitted for a long time in the UK.

'immigrants sapping the welfare benefits dry over and above UK-born citizens' - entitlement to some benefits is based on residency rather than citizenship.

I think we should beware of lashing out at other immigrants in this fight.
Old Feb 12th 2013, 2:43 am
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I think we should beware of lashing out at other immigrants in this fight.
Old Feb 12th 2013, 2:53 am
Forum Regular

mandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nice

Originally Posted by windsong
What law change? Why do you need this sum of money to go back? Are you talking about paying 3-6 months rent up front for living accomodation?

No I need it to support my husband if I dont earn that amount or have 60 grand in savings he cannot apply for his visa because he is American and not an EU citizen.
Old Feb 12th 2013, 6:48 am
Looking Around~

Vexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandianna
No I need it to support my husband if I dont earn that amount or have 60 grand in savings he cannot apply for his visa because he is American and not an EU citizen.
shite ain't it ? how old are you by the way ? im 25 and the UK govt expects me to have 64K in savings..... they must be having a right laugh...

But a polish guy can bring his non EU wife to live with him in UK with 'ease' ? 0.o

But a uk citizen needs to have 64K to bring none eu husband/wife ?

The biggest load of horseshit ever - makes me so angry i am on the verge to snap and go n attack Cameron or whoever made this rule up.

Hopefully this 'rule' will change ASAP
Old Feb 12th 2013, 11:38 am
Forum Regular

mandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nice

Originally Posted by Vexcore
shite ain't it ? how old are you by the way ? im 25 and the UK govt expects me to have 64K in savings..... they must be having a right laugh...

But a polish guy can bring his non EU wife to live with him in UK with 'ease' ? 0.o

The biggest load of horseshit ever - makes me so angry i am on the verge to snap and go n attack Cameron or whoever made this rule up.

Lol im 37 but still its such a stupid law it makes no sense......I never thought in a million years I would need to 'pay' for my husband to come to the Scotland with me. While the Polish guy that works with my brother can also have his family there for FREE and they get to claim benefits!!!! NUTS!!!
Old Feb 12th 2013, 12:02 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Can a "Polish guy" (or gal) bring a non-EU spouse in without these restrictions?

(Maybe that's the whole Surrinder Singh route thing people have talked about ...?)

I know you are only kidding, but I'd be careful about posting threats to attack politicians on a public Web site. You never know where it will end up these days.
Old Feb 12th 2013, 2:56 pm
Just Joined

leedsrhinos1971 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have to say that I am shocked after reading these posts about this ridiculous law. I am a long way from even getting to a stage to be able to start any process of moving back to the UK but reading this is not the start to my research I was looking for. I will say one thing though, my experience over here in the US is that people don't take advantage of the resources available especially when it comes to getting their elected representatives to fight their case and I guess that is the same back in the UK. Everyone and that includes me needs to write, email and call their MPs to get something done about this. In fact, I would say that, if this law isn't scrapped, I probably will never be able to come home. My American wife has a rare bleeding disorder that forced her to quit her job and go on disability. I am lucky that I work 5 mins away from home and I have an understanding employer that allows me to attend to her when she needs me but moving to the UK ahead of my wife and kids in order to get around this law is a non-starter for me.

Question for you............It has been 14 years since I left Headingley, Leeds........I suppose it wouldn't make much sense to contact the local MP now there and instead I should just concentrate on the MP representing the area where my parents now live.....right?
Old Feb 12th 2013, 3:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leedsrhinos1971
I have to say that I am shocked after reading these posts about this ridiculous law. I am a long way from even getting to a stage to be able to start any process of moving back to the UK but reading this is not the start to my research I was looking for. I will say one thing though, my experience over here in the US is that people don't take advantage of the resources available especially when it comes to getting their elected representatives to fight their case and I guess that is the same back in the UK. Everyone and that includes me needs to write, email and call their MPs to get something done about this. In fact, I would say that, if this law isn't scrapped, I probably will never be able to come home. My American wife has a rare bleeding disorder that forced her to quit her job and go on disability. I am lucky that I work 5 mins away from home and I have an understanding employer that allows me to attend to her when she needs me but moving to the UK ahead of my wife and kids in order to get around this law is a non-starter for me.

Question for you............It has been 14 years since I left Headingley, Leeds........I suppose it wouldn't make much sense to contact the local MP now there and instead I should just concentrate on the MP representing the area where my parents now live.....right?
Unless you own property there you are no longer being represented in that district. I would have your parents write the letter. I am sorry about your wife. Hopefully there will be a solution for you in the not too distant future.
Old Feb 12th 2013, 3:55 pm
Forum Regular

gailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nice

Originally Posted by mandianna
Lol im 37 but still its such a stupid law it makes no sense......I never thought in a million years I would need to 'pay' for my husband to come to the Scotland with me. While the Polish guy that works with my brother can also have his family there for FREE and they get to claim benefits!!!! NUTS!!!
Not only that - if they have children still living in Poland, the British government pays for them as well.
Who knows whether these children even exist. Sometimes makes me wonder!
Old Feb 12th 2013, 4:08 pm
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool
Unless you own property there you are no longer being represented in that district. I would have your parents write the letter. I am sorry about your wife. Hopefully there will be a solution for you in the not too distant future.
My husband wrote to his former MP, who responded to our concerns and wrote to the Home Office on my husband's behalf.

I think it might depend on your MP as to whether they pay any attention to the concerns of an expat.
Old Feb 12th 2013, 4:11 pm
WhiteRabbit

Originally Posted by dunroving
Can a "Polish guy" (or gal) bring a non-EU spouse in without these restrictions?

(Maybe that's the whole Surrinder Singh route thing people have talked about ...?)
Yes, they certainly can.

It's not Singh. It's EU free movement and worker's rights. It's the same concept that allows a Brit to move to another EU country with their non-EU spouse.
Old Feb 12th 2013, 4:11 pm
Forum Regular

gailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nice

We actually thought of moving back to England many years ago, but didn't because of the 6 months quarantine our dog would have to go through - stupid as that may sound to many people.

Now, they have made taking your pets easier and easier - no quarantine, blood tests. Basically a microchip and rabies test and the correct documents.
For the humans who were born and worked there and their non-EU spouses - they have made it almost impossible to go back.
My husband whom I met in the Air Force loves England as much as myself. We have longtime friends and family there. The things we enjoy doing are there and they don't cost and arm and a leg to do them - also don't have drive hours and hours to get there. (It takes about 8 hrs just to drive out of our state and see anything even remotely different as far as scenery is concerned.
We live in Florida that may seem idylic to some, but it is a tourist place. For people like us who just live here, there is not much at all to do. We do not need to be entertained. The summers are so hot and humid we stay inside as much as possible in the summer. Winters arent much better -seems we either have the heat or AC on for the most part.
Old Feb 12th 2013, 5:38 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebeccajo
Yes, they certainly can.

It's not Singh. It's EU free movement and worker's rights. It's the same concept that allows a Brit to move to another EU country with their non-EU spouse.
Crikey, I thought the rules were crazy, now I think they seem almost deliberately spiteful. It's like they are taking the p*ss out of UK citizens ...

So, an EU citizen (resident?) has more rights to abode in the UK than a UK citizen? What is wrong with this government?
Old Feb 12th 2013, 5:57 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Crikey, I thought the rules were crazy, now I think they seem almost deliberately spiteful. It's like they are taking the p*ss out of UK citizens ...

So, an EU citizen (resident?) has more rights to abode in the UK than a UK citizen? What is wrong with this government?
That's not quite right...but I know what you mean. A UK citizen can move back to the UK at anytime. The problem is the non EU citizen spouse (and children if they are not UKCs) of the UK citizen.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.