Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Want to move but cannot afford to move back any suggestions?

Want to move but cannot afford to move back any suggestions?

Old Jan 29th 2013, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

mandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nice
Default Want to move but cannot afford to move back any suggestions?

Hello fellow expats here is the deal my husband (American) and I were all set to move back to Scotland where I am from. Only after ready the new change in the law of me now needing 18,600 pounds in savings or a job we cannot afford it. I am deeply homesick and have never really settled in here and we finally had made the decision to go back only to run into this. I have read that some other people have gotten loans for the visa application im not sure how viable that is or if you are even allowed to do it?? I only work part time my husband is the full time earner in our house. I just wondered if there are other people in the same boat and if there are any other ways of doing this apart from me having to go home first and getting a job before he can apply for his visa. Tanks for any info you can give me
Old Jan 29th 2013, 7:51 pm
Recruiter Extraordinaire

Tigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Want to move but cannot afford to move back any suggestions?

I believe that you must either have a job with an annual salary of 18,600 GBP or savings of 64,000 GBP. I can't offer any advice I'm afraid, but thought I'd clarify the money required.

Good luck!
Old Jan 29th 2013, 8:18 pm
Forum Regular

mandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nice

Originally Posted by Tigger1
I believe that you must either have a job with an annual salary of 18,600 GBP or savings of 64,000 GBP. I can't offer any advice I'm afraid, but thought I'd clarify the money required.

Good luck!
Thanks for the clarification and depressing me further
Old Jan 29th 2013, 8:29 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

No house to sell for the move? That might get you the savings, and then rent for 6 months while it sits in the bank.
Other than that you could go ahead of him and find a job paying the right amount and then sponsor him after 6 months.
Dh and I did something similar (but not needing a visa) I went back and worked while he sold up the house, and followed me 8 months later.
Old Jan 29th 2013, 8:51 pm
Recruiter Extraordinaire

Tigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry didn't mean to depress you! Just wanted to give you all the info so you could start to make some plans.

I don't know the full in's and out's of visa's for non UK citizens. But Mummy in the Foothill's suggestion seems like an option?

If you could go back and work and your hubby could work and save in the US then, it could be quicker? Not ideal I know, but an option to look at maybe?
Old Jan 29th 2013, 9:05 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
No house to sell for the move? That might get you the savings, and then rent for 6 months while it sits in the bank.
Other than that you could go ahead of him and find a job paying the right amount and then sponsor him after 6 months.
Dh and I did something similar (but not needing a visa) I went back and worked while he sold up the house, and followed me 8 months later.
We sold our house and took a loss on it just to get it out from under our feet. They are not selling for their worth where we are. I guess me going back is the only option.
Old Jan 29th 2013, 9:14 pm
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandianna
Hello fellow expats here is the deal my husband (American) and I were all set to move back to Scotland where I am from. Only after ready the new change in the law of me now needing 18,600 pounds in savings or a job we cannot afford it. I am deeply homesick and have never really settled in here and we finally had made the decision to go back only to run into this. I have read that some other people have gotten loans for the visa application im not sure how viable that is or if you are even allowed to do it?? I only work part time my husband is the full time earner in our house. I just wondered if there are other people in the same boat and if there are any other ways of doing this apart from me having to go home first and getting a job before he can apply for his visa. Tanks for any info you can give me
Reading posts like this remind me of just how vile and disgraceful that law is. Good old Tories.
Old Jan 29th 2013, 10:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Zen10
Reading posts like this remind me of just how vile and disgraceful that law is. Good old Tories.
Yup I can't take my husband home to my own country without financial restraint yet many from other countries can walk right in. Makes me so mad!
Old Jan 30th 2013, 12:15 am
Banned

Spectator Of Suicide is an unknown quantity at this point

Do what I'm doing and move elsewhere in the EU. Already looking at potential gigs lined up in Denmark

Trust me, when you've lived in such an alien culture for so long, anywhere in northern Europe could be home.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 12:23 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spectator Of Suicide
Do what I'm doing and move elsewhere in the EU. Already looking at potential gigs lined up in Denmark

Trust me, when you've lived in such an alien culture for so long, anywhere in northern Europe could be home.
That is a very good idea - and also there are other benefits like much cheaper university education. You would only be a short flight from Britain and your new home would be an exciting getaway destination for British family and friends.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 12:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Just wanted to say good luck and I'm sorry you're not allowed on here.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 12:53 am
Firetrak

ldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zen10
Once again we are in harmony Zen10.... The law is clearly designed to do just one thing and that's (in the words of the government) to take immigration from 100,000's down to 10,000's.

They cannot give a **** how they do it or who it affects. I can only hope labour comes back to power in 2015 and abolish this foul law.

Oh and the reason no one has challenged it, is because those who would are still in system for immigration and probably don't want UKBA messing up their chances, probably why they lengthened the Permanent leave to remain to 5 years.

It all becomes really obvious once you think about it.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 12:54 am
Firetrak

ldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Just wanted to say good luck and I'm sorry you're not allowed on here.
I dont understand this post?
Old Jan 30th 2013, 1:01 am
Firetrak

You cannot get a loan for this, when you apply you have to show where the money came from via your bank statements, i'm sure there are ways around this like having the money go into a friends account then into yours, but then you need to hold onto it for 6 maybe 12 months, cant remember the time and you need to have the same amount of money in 2.5 years as well, unless you in that time have a job equal or above 18600.

To be honest, considering (assuming here) you have no kids, if i was you, i'd just go back get a job (i think 18600 is pretty attainable, hope i'm not wrong), stay for 6 months. Then apply for your husband to come over.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 2:37 am
Forum Regular

Really can you tell me more about the European option what is it like to get into Denmark? I am open to all options

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.