US Citizen applying for UK Passport

Old Sep 3rd 2017, 4:08 pm
Forum Regular

ellie_gbr has a reputation beyond reputeellie_gbr has a reputation beyond reputeellie_gbr has a reputation beyond reputeellie_gbr has a reputation beyond reputeellie_gbr has a reputation beyond reputeellie_gbr has a reputation beyond reputeellie_gbr has a reputation beyond reputeellie_gbr has a reputation beyond reputeellie_gbr has a reputation beyond reputeellie_gbr has a reputation beyond reputeellie_gbr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Citizen applying for UK Passport

I'm getting ready to do this too for my newborn (I'm British, husband is American and living in US). Did you include the babies grandparents birth certificates in the passport app and photos of the baby and parents - the instructions make it seem like they are necessary but for some reason I'm getting confused about what is needed (blame baby brain I guess)!
Old Sep 3rd 2017, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

DottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ellie_gbr
I'm getting ready to do this too for my newborn (I'm British, husband is American and living in US). Did you include the babies grandparents birth certificates in the passport app and photos of the baby and parents - the instructions make it seem like they are necessary but for some reason I'm getting confused about what is needed (blame baby brain I guess)!
Congratulations! I remember when we were both filing for our GC's and now it looks like we have the same journey now.

I included a photocopy of the British grandparents birth certificate and marriage certificate. The way I interpreted the instructions was if the parents were born before 1982 (I honk that was he year but don't have the instructions in front of me) then it was required. As me and my wife were late 80's we included them.

The biggest issue is getting photos that meet the strict requirements. They do appear to be more relaxed about babies but I was still trying my best to get the baby looking straight on into the camera etc. it was a challenge to say the least!

I ended up using UPS express saver which cost $85 for a 3 day service with the envelope weighing 0.185lb. So pretty expensive! I had it sent to a U.K. Friend who completed the countersignatory part and sent it special delivery to the application center in the U.K. I couldn't think of any US person who would willingly give a color copy of their passport away.
Old Sep 26th 2017, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

ellie_gbr has a reputation beyond reputeellie_gbr has a reputation beyond reputeellie_gbr has a reputation beyond reputeellie_gbr has a reputation beyond reputeellie_gbr has a reputation beyond reputeellie_gbr has a reputation beyond reputeellie_gbr has a reputation beyond reputeellie_gbr has a reputation beyond reputeellie_gbr has a reputation beyond reputeellie_gbr has a reputation beyond reputeellie_gbr has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations to you to... how funny that we are on such a similar schedule! I received the babies US passport and consular birth registration yesterday but have yet to do the UK passport. Were the photocopies of the grand parents info accepted? It would be much easier to send copies, but it does say all documents must be original.

Getting the passport picture was hilarious, we could make a great flip book with all her crazy expressions we photographed!
Old Sep 26th 2017, 4:21 pm
Forum Regular

DottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ellie_gbr
Congratulations to you to... how funny that we are on such a similar schedule! I received the babies US passport and consular birth registration yesterday but have yet to do the UK passport. Were the photocopies of the grand parents info accepted? It would be much easier to send copies, but it does say all documents must be original.

Getting the passport picture was hilarious, we could make a great flip book with all her crazy expressions we photographed!
Sadly they did not accept photocopies, I got a request for originals so rather than sending them I just ordered replacements for the national registry of Scotland which taught me a valid lesson..... When searching the year is actually the year of registration not the year of birth. My mum was born late December so I ordered what appeared to be a match for the year of her birth only to get some strangers birth certificate in the mail (kind of scary really!). To keep costs down I actually just had them purchased online and delivered to my parents house in the UK who then sent them recorded delivery to the passport office. As luck has it I just got a text from DHL saying her Brittish Passport is due to be delivered today!

I also just got my 1 year extension on my Green card and my biometrics appt for next week. Between new passports, UK birth registrations and US Greencard extensions I have spent a small fortune in the last month. I can't wait for the day all this is over.