Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Moving back to the UK / Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old Sep 12th 2017, 11:30 pm   #31
BE Enthusiast
 
ukmancoll's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2003
Location: Schaumburg, IL
Posts: 341
ukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: UK spouse visa - pretty urgent question

Quote:
Originally Posted by michali View Post
Pulaski is right! You. Just answer all the questions even if you feel they are not appropriate. My husband and I had been married for nearly fifty years when we applied and we were both living abroad at the time. For questions like 'how often do you meet?' you just put 'we live together'

They can't make a form for each person's circumstances as there are too many different situations to cover.

But don't worry about asking questions here! We have all been through it and it is stressful! We are here to help!
Thank you so much. Believe me, all the help from everyone is massively appreciated.
__________________
See Profile for my K1 Timeline.
He was from Brighton, UK.
She was from Schaumburg, IL.
Now livin' in Schaumburg, IL (Chicago for the uninitiated!)
ukmancoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th 2017, 11:36 pm   #32
BE Enthusiast
 
ukmancoll's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2003
Location: Schaumburg, IL
Posts: 341
ukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: UK spouse visa - pretty urgent question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulaski View Post
But you do need to answer the question about living arrangements. If you can't explain where you plan to live, even if it is only temporarily in Auntie Flo's spare bedroom (you will need to provide info about Auntie Flo's home, who else lives there, and a letter from Auntie Flo that she is OK with you and your wife living there, and probably a property assessment of the home to determine it's suitability for the number of people who will be living there), then your wife's visa application will be rejected. .... So be very careful about unilaterally deciding that questions "don't apply" to you and your wife.
OK this is interesting, thanks. I had put that we were going to rent a house as soon as the visa arrives. Obviously we can't make ANY arrangements until that is done. But, seems like that is a bad idea.

I can put my sisters address as the place we'll move to, and get an email from her? Then I can make note we'd be working on renting a house - how can we be expected to secure housing without knowing when we'll even get the visa..? But do you really think we need a property assessment...? No way are we going to be able to get that.

I definitely answered all the questions, including putting things like "we live together."
__________________
See Profile for my K1 Timeline.
He was from Brighton, UK.
She was from Schaumburg, IL.
Now livin' in Schaumburg, IL (Chicago for the uninitiated!)
ukmancoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th 2017, 1:04 am   #33
Lt Col (Retd)
Premium Member
 
Pulaski's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2001
Location: Dixie, ex UK
Posts: 42,595
Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK spouse visa - pretty urgent question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukmancoll View Post
OK this is interesting, thanks. I had put that we were going to rent a house as soon as the visa arrives. Obviously we can't make ANY arrangements until that is done. But, seems like that is a bad idea.

I can put my sisters address as the place we'll move to, and get an email from her? Then I can make note we'd be working on renting a house - how can we be expected to secure housing without knowing when we'll even get the visa..? But do you really think we need a property assessment...? No way are we going to be able to get that. ....
If your sister's house is big enough you can, and I think you'll need a letter from your sister, meaning something she has signed, and you will need details of who is living in her house - how many people, adults and children, and the size - rooms (living and bedroom) and total sqm of the home. Conventional advice here is that for shared/family housing a property assessment is "necessary". Maybe someone will be along to confirm.
__________________
As quoted in the Grauniad.
Pulaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th 2017, 4:47 am   #34
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Inselaffen's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Dubai
Posts: 13,546
Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK spouse visa - pretty urgent question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukmancoll View Post
OK - I'm going to ask just one more time, promise.

Almost none of the questions in Appendix Two are relevant if both spouse and sponsor live in the US. All of the questions are related to the sponsor already being in the UK - asks about property, living arrangements, etc.

It just feels weird - why isn't there a form that is relevant to both parties coming over together at the same time?
It is relevant if both parties come together from overseas. Read it carefully and you will see where frequently it tells you to skip to a different section when sections are not relevant to you.
Inselaffen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th 2017, 9:36 pm   #35
BE Enthusiast
 
ukmancoll's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2003
Location: Schaumburg, IL
Posts: 341
ukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: UK spouse visa - pretty urgent question

OK, can you guys take a look at this for me? Here is what I'm planning on shipping off to Sheffield tomorrow/Friday (in regards to supporting documents):

+ 8 months of bank statements
+ Pay stubs for 6 months
+ Letter from current US employer
+ Offer and cover letter from new UK employer to start in January
+ Signed letter from my mother who's rental house we'll be moving into
+ Wife's passport
+ Copy of mine and kids British passports
+ Our marriage certificate
+ Our kids birth certificates naming us as their parents
+ Appendix 2
+ Utility bills such as gas, electric, etc.
+ Biometrics receipt

I am hopeful we have a fairly simple case as I see it. I earn around ten times what is needed, and the job I have lined up in the UK is about three times what is needed. No previous marriages. British citizen children. We've been married for 12 years and always lived together.

You think I have everything covered guys?
__________________
See Profile for my K1 Timeline.
He was from Brighton, UK.
She was from Schaumburg, IL.
Now livin' in Schaumburg, IL (Chicago for the uninitiated!)
ukmancoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th 2017, 12:19 am   #36
BE Enthusiast
 
ukmancoll's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2003
Location: Schaumburg, IL
Posts: 341
ukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: UK spouse visa - pretty urgent question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukmancoll View Post
OK, can you guys take a look at this for me? Here is what I'm planning on shipping off to Sheffield tomorrow/Friday (in regards to supporting documents):

+ 8 months of bank statements
+ Pay stubs for 6 months
+ Letter from current US employer
+ Offer and cover letter from new UK employer to start in January
+ Signed letter from my mother who's rental house we'll be moving into
+ Wife's passport
+ Copy of mine and kids British passports
+ Our marriage certificate
+ Our kids birth certificates naming us as their parents
+ Appendix 2
+ Utility bills such as gas, electric, etc.
+ Biometrics receipt

I am hopeful we have a fairly simple case as I see it. I earn around ten times what is needed, and the job I have lined up in the UK is about three times what is needed. No previous marriages. British citizen children. We've been married for 12 years and always lived together.

You think I have everything covered guys?
Also in addition to the above, a copy of our current house rental lease contract for the last two years.

I think I can also include at least our last years tax returns, maybe two or three years.
__________________
See Profile for my K1 Timeline.
He was from Brighton, UK.
She was from Schaumburg, IL.
Now livin' in Schaumburg, IL (Chicago for the uninitiated!)

Last edited by ukmancoll; Sep 14th 2017 at 12:22 am.
ukmancoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th 2017, 1:18 am   #37
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Mar 2017
Posts: 59
PaManjang is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK spouse visa - pretty urgent question

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritInParis View Post
Take a look at the timeline thread for an overview. Effectively it's a mess at the moment. The official processing times for May from the USA are here. Bear in mind that this is working days and includes those who paid for priority processing. I suspect the more recent processing times will be even more sluggish as they were just about keeping to the three month limit but that no longer seems to be the case. Parliamentary complaints may also be skewering the stats. I honestly can't tell you whether it's worth paying for priority at this stage as the difference it will make may only be slight. Your wife should given the option when she goes to give her biometrics unless it's been suspended as it appears to have been elsewhere.
Dear @BritInParis,
I have seen suggestions that the 6months wait could be a deliberate policy to test the genuineness of relationships, especially for applications from certain countries and it's beginning to make sense to me, having re read my MP's reply to our email. What's your opinion on this?
Thanks.
PaManjang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th 2017, 1:21 am   #38
Premium Member
 
BritInParis's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Not in Paris
Posts: 8,417
BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK spouse visa - pretty urgent question

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaManjang View Post
Dear @BritInParis,
I have seen suggestions that the 6months wait could be a deliberate policy to test the genuineness of relationships, especially for applications from certain countries and it's beginning to make sense to me, having re read my MP's reply to our email. What's your opinion on this?
Thanks.
I would opine that is BS. There's no conspiracy, just the usual Home Office farce.
BritInParis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th 2017, 1:48 am   #39
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Mar 2017
Posts: 59
PaManjang is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK spouse visa - pretty urgent question

[QUOTE=BritInParis;12337695]I would opine that is BS. There's no conspiracy, just the usual Home Office farce.[/QUOTE
Lol Ok thanks.
PaManjang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th 2017, 5:12 am   #40
BE Enthusiast
 
ukmancoll's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2003
Location: Schaumburg, IL
Posts: 341
ukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: UK spouse visa - pretty urgent question

OK guys, final update. Here is final list of everything I am planning to send. Please could you let me know thoughts and if you think I'm missing anything (or overdoing anything?) Thank you!

• Signed and dated copy of online application

• 8 months of bank statements from joint current account – printed at the branch by Personal Banker

• 9 months of sponsors paystubs from sponsors current US employer

• Letter from sponsors US employer confirming employment

• Color copies of Sponors British passport, as well as childrens British passports.

• Marriage certificate

• Birth certificates for all three of our children naming sponsor and myself, the applicant, as the parents

• 6 months of gas utility bills naming sponsor at same address as myself, the applicant

• 6 months of mobile phone bills naming myself, the applicant, at same address as sponsor

• Apartment Lease Agreement for current residence of both sponsor and applicant

• Signed letter from landlord of the property in England my family will be moving to

• Offer letter and contract from sponsors new employer in England

• Appendix 2, Financial Requirement Form

• Selection of Federal and State tax returns between 2005 and 2016 naming both sponsor and applicant as filing jointly at the same residential address:
o 2005 Federal Tax Return
o 2006 Illinois Tax Return
o 2008 Federal Tax Return
o 2009 Illinois Individual Income Tax Electronic Filing Declaration
o 2011 Federal Tax return
o 2012 Federal Tax return
o 2013 Federal Tax return
o 2014 Illinois Income Tax Return
o 2015 Illinois Income Tax Return
o 2016 Federal Tax Return

• One color photograph of applicant

• Receipt from Biometrics appointment taken on 14/9/17

• US passport of applicant
__________________
See Profile for my K1 Timeline.
He was from Brighton, UK.
She was from Schaumburg, IL.
Now livin' in Schaumburg, IL (Chicago for the uninitiated!)
ukmancoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th 2017, 6:46 am   #41
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Inselaffen's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Dubai
Posts: 13,546
Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK spouse visa - pretty urgent question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukmancoll View Post
OK guys, final update. Here is final list of everything I am planning to send. Please could you let me know thoughts and if you think I'm missing anything (or overdoing anything?) Thank you!

• Signed and dated copy of online application

• 8 months of bank statements from joint current account – printed at the branch by Personal Banker

• 9 months of sponsors paystubs from sponsors current US employer

• Letter from sponsors US employer confirming employment

• Color copies of Sponors British passport, as well as childrens British passports.

• Marriage certificate

• Birth certificates for all three of our children naming sponsor and myself, the applicant, as the parents

• 6 months of gas utility bills naming sponsor at same address as myself, the applicant

• 6 months of mobile phone bills naming myself, the applicant, at same address as sponsor

• Apartment Lease Agreement for current residence of both sponsor and applicant

• Signed letter from landlord of the property in England my family will be moving to

• Offer letter and contract from sponsors new employer in England

• Appendix 2, Financial Requirement Form

• Selection of Federal and State tax returns between 2005 and 2016 naming both sponsor and applicant as filing jointly at the same residential address:
o 2005 Federal Tax Return
o 2006 Illinois Tax Return
o 2008 Federal Tax Return
o 2009 Illinois Individual Income Tax Electronic Filing Declaration
o 2011 Federal Tax return
o 2012 Federal Tax return
o 2013 Federal Tax return
o 2014 Illinois Income Tax Return
o 2015 Illinois Income Tax Return
o 2016 Federal Tax Return

• One color photograph of applicant

• Receipt from Biometrics appointment taken on 14/9/17

• US passport of applicant

I would paste some copies of photos of you together over the years into a Word document and annotate them. Probably overkill but takes little time and is a nice visual reference for whoever handles your application.

I assume Americans are exempt from doing an English language test. Probably a good thing as most would clearly fail
__________________
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense
Inselaffen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th 2017, 1:32 pm   #42
BE Enthusiast
 
ukmancoll's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2003
Location: Schaumburg, IL
Posts: 341
ukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: UK spouse visa - pretty urgent question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inselaffen View Post
I would paste some copies of photos of you together over the years into a Word document and annotate them. Probably overkill but takes little time and is a nice visual reference for whoever handles your application.

I assume Americans are exempt from doing an English language test. Probably a good thing as most would clearly fail
Haha good idea. I'll do that.
ukmancoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22nd 2017, 8:31 pm   #43
Just Joined
 
Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 12
Cecilia5778 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK spouse visa - pretty urgent question

Sorry to say but I dont understand how a decision so important for both applicant and the country should be rushed. Immigration Laws are fluid as the countries needs and dont follow personal demands. I got my visa TODAY after three months, but I knew that this could happen as was stated in the website. Thankfully I have a house in my country so i didnt have problem waiting for as long as necessary. But my problem with all this proces is that we pay a lot and have little assistance when delays happen, or to get assistance you have to pay almost 2 pounds a minute in a call.
Cecilia5778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23rd 2017, 4:17 am   #44
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Feb 2017
Posts: 66
ryongsong is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK spouse visa - pretty urgent question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia5778 View Post
Sorry to say but I dont understand how a decision so important for both applicant and the country should be rushed. Immigration Laws are fluid as the countries needs and dont follow personal demands. I got my visa TODAY after three months, but I knew that this could happen as was stated in the website. Thankfully I have a house in my country so i didnt have problem waiting for as long as necessary. But my problem with all this proces is that we pay a lot and have little assistance when delays happen, or to get assistance you have to pay almost 2 pounds a minute in a call.
I agree that there should be no need to rush this process, but it's UKVI who say you can't apply until three months before your intended departure. The problem is the lack of honest information from them, as well as, as you mention, the very poor service that accompanies the high cost.
ryongsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Moving back to the UK / Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 6:16 am.


Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 1999-2010 BritishExpats.com