Citizenship by double descent

Old May 1st 2018, 4:54 pm
Just Joined

GarryUK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Citizenship by double descent

Hi all...

I'm a south africa citizen ...currently about to apply for a ancestral visa...which I know I will luckily get as my sister left a year ago on one.

My question is am I eligible for Citizenship by double descent?

Requirements and my info marked*...
- a grandfather was born in the UK (or Northern Ireland);
*grandfather born 1923 England
- the applicant was born after 01.01.1983;
*me born 1984
- the relevant parent (whose father was born in the UK or Northern Ireland) was born in a former British territory;
*mother born 1946 South Africa
AND
the grandfather was in Crown Service at the time of the relevant parent's birth
*uncertain

I have been asking all my family if my grandfather was in the service of the crown at the time of my mom's birth or not but they are uncertain.

Both my grandfather and mother are deceased so I would really appreciate any help here I can get...

I have tried to search for his royal air force record but I am unable to find anything online.
<snip>

P.s I don't even know if my mother was a British citizen.

Kind regards
Garry

Last edited by christmasoompa; Oct 17th 2019 at 9:00 am. Reason: Name removed as per OP's request
Old May 1st 2018, 5:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship by double descent

Originally Posted by GarryUK
Hi all...

I'm citizen of south africa...I am currently about to apply for a ancestral visa...which I know I will luckily get as my sister left a year ago on one.

My question is am I eligible for Citizenship by double descent?

My info...
- Grandfather born 1923 England.
- My mother born 1946 South Africa
- My birth 1984

I have been asking all my family if my grandfather was in the service of the crown at the time of my mom's birth or not but they are uncertain.

Both my grandfather and mother are deceased so I would really appreciate any help here I can get...

I have tried to search for his royal air force record but I am unable to find anything online.
<snip>

P.s I don't even know if my mother was a British citizen.

Kind regards
Garry
Rule of thumb for 'Crown service' is that such posts are recruited in the UK by the UK government, for example British staff at the British High Commission in South Africa.

What was your grandfather's profession when your mother was born - as recorded in her birth certificate. If he was in the RAF at the time, have a look at the link below -

https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records

Last edited by christmasoompa; Oct 17th 2019 at 9:01 am. Reason: Name removed from quoted post
Old May 1st 2018, 5:06 pm
Just Joined

Hi thanks for the fast reply. I made a few edits in my post
Old May 1st 2018, 5:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi thanks for the fast reply. I made a few edits in my post
If one of your grandfather was born in Northern Ireland, you may be entitled to Irish Citizenship, which will allow you to live and work in the UK.

Citizenship if a grandparent was born in ireland

You can get a certified copy of your Northern Ireland born grandfather from the Northern Ireland GRO -

https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/contacts...rthern-ireland
Old May 1st 2018, 5:16 pm
Just Joined

Hi he was born in England. Sorry I copied and pasted the requirements above. My info is with the *. Thanks for the link...So it's only possible to order his RAF records? Was hoping for a quick search online

Last edited by GarryUK; May 1st 2018 at 5:19 pm.
Old May 1st 2018, 6:36 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

According to your relative Michelle your grandfather joined the SAAF as an air gunner after being rejected from the RAF due to poor eyesight and served in 31 Sqn SAAF. As such it seems unlikely that he was recruited in the UK so you wouldn’t be eligible for British citizenship. If you want to be sure then you’ll need his service records.
Old May 1st 2018, 7:37 pm
Just Joined

Hi thanks

Yes I saw it online...she must have found it here...
www.warsawuprising.com/witness/winchester.htm

From what I understand from reading it he was a member of the british army, then tried out for RAF and was subjetced to a gunner but as a member of the RAF and took direction under the SAAF during this operation...

If I am wrong please correct me

P.s yeah that's my sister who is in uk now

Last edited by GarryUK; May 1st 2018 at 7:53 pm.
Old May 2nd 2018, 2:29 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Hi thanks

Yes I saw it online...she must have found it here...
Warsaw Uprising Witnesses: Senator Eric Winchester

From what I understand from reading it he was a member of the british army, then tried out for RAF and was subjetced to a gunner but as a member of the RAF and took direction under the SAAF during this operation...

If I am wrong please correct me

P.s yeah that's my sister who is in uk now
My understanding is that your grandfather emigrated to South Africa at the age of three so the Army he was joining in 1940 was the South African Army. As such he would have been recruited in South Africa, not the UK.
Old May 3rd 2018, 1:01 am
Forum Regular

Benson55 is an unknown quantity at this point

Very hard to prove if ther eis no documentation going back.
Old May 3rd 2018, 10:05 am
Just Joined

Hi guys

Thanks. Gosh I didn't know he emigrating before the war...that's awesome to know.

I asked all family so send me military photos...
I have posted to other forums to help me i.d badges.

Will post back with an update as I am very sure he ended up in the RAF.
Old May 3rd 2018, 4:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Will post back with an update as I am very sure he ended up in the RAF.
It doesn't matter whether or not your grandfather ended his service with the RAF. The important point is whether he was in UK 'Crown Service' at the time of your mother's birth. Even if your grandfather ended up in UK 'Crown Service' after your mother's birth, this fact will not help you in getting British Citizenship via descent.