My experience of going the Surinder Singh route so far

Old Dec 4th 2013, 11:05 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My experience of going the Surinder Singh route so far

Originally Posted by AngelaAntonio
Hello, would you be able to send me a link to this petition? I agree with you, it's ridiculous how they make it nearly impossible to be with your loved ones in the UK. Its as if only the elite could be happily married to a foreigner.
It's here.

Sign and share please!
Old Dec 4th 2013, 4:42 pm
Just Joined

moabedom is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=AngelaV;11011033]
Originally Posted by newpin
Hello Angela
I have followed your thread with interest and have learned a lot , so thanks a lot again. I hope you are settling back into life in Scotland now
I just wanted to ask.. I have heard of several cases of foreigners being pelted by eggs or pebbles in Dublin . How was your experience?[/Q]

Our experience in Ireland was extremely positive. We had one incident when my car broke down and every Irish person I asked to help said "no" which I found very surprising but other than that, everyone was great.
Hello Angela...your thread has given us great hope..we are both a bit sad as today we got refused for my wifes visa..our story is a little different..my wife and i both live in denmark..i have been here apprx 2 years and she has been here for 5 years..we wanted to visit my mum in northern ireland for christmas.so we applied for a visa but got refused..the reason they gave was that we didnt provide enough proof of amount of money we have..i am brish holding a uk passport and my wife is from sri lanka..so if i read all this correct about freedom of movement for eu citizens does it mean that we can just book flights ..have all the eu directive notes and make the journey..i wish to fly to dublin as its much easier to get to my mums than going via the mainland uk..my mum is too ill to travel to here and she has never met my wife..only on skype we dont want to live there we have just bought our home in denmark and we both have jobs here..we feel denmark is our home and we both fully intend to come back here..infact it would be awful to be stuck in the uk..anyway it would be so helpful if you could give us any advice you can so we can make it in time for christmas..thanks in advance
Old Dec 4th 2013, 6:21 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=moabedom;11020807]
Originally Posted by AngelaV
Hello Angela...your thread has given us great hope..we are both a bit sad as today we got refused for my wifes visa..our story is a little different..my wife and i both live in denmark..i have been here apprx 2 years and she has been here for 5 years..we wanted to visit my mum in northern ireland for christmas.so we applied for a visa but got refused..the reason they gave was that we didnt provide enough proof of amount of money we have..i am brish holding a uk passport and my wife is from sri lanka..so if i read all this correct about freedom of movement for eu citizens does it mean that we can just book flights ..have all the eu directive notes and make the journey..i wish to fly to dublin as its much easier to get to my mums than going via the mainland uk..my mum is too ill to travel to here and she has never met my wife..only on skype we dont want to live there we have just bought our home in denmark and we both have jobs here..we feel denmark is our home and we both fully intend to come back here..infact it would be awful to be stuck in the uk..anyway it would be so helpful if you could give us any advice you can so we can make it in time for christmas..thanks in advance
Has your wife applied for a Danish residence card?

If she has, then she may be covered by the Directive for what you propose for a visit to NI via Dublin.

Angela's having issues getting online at the moment.
Old Dec 4th 2013, 7:41 pm
Just Joined

[QUOTE=DaveLovesDee;11020916]
Originally Posted by moabedom

Has your wife applied for a Danish residence card?

If she has, then she may be covered by the Directive for what you propose for a visit to NI via Dublin.

Angela's having issues getting online at the moment.
thanks dave..she has a residents permit for denmark but its not a permanent residence card..it is still valid till 2015 though and its type "C" do i need to apply for anything else or just travel..do you have any idea..i have read so much legal jargaon my head spins..i dont understand it all..how do i know if she is covered in this directive?
Old Dec 4th 2013, 11:52 pm
Account Closed

[QUOTE=moabedom;11021013]
Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee
thanks dave..she has a residents permit for denmark but its not a permanent residence card..it is still valid till 2015 though and its type "C" do i need to apply for anything else or just travel..do you have any idea..i have read so much legal jargaon my head spins..i dont understand it all..how do i know if she is covered in this directive?
Try contacting the Your Europe advice service.

Let me know what they say please.
Old Dec 5th 2013, 9:01 am
BE Enthusiast

englishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond repute

When you say you applied for a visa and were rejected - do you mean a visa or a EEA family permit? (Easiest answer to that is: how much did you pay for it? EEA family permit cost about 5-10EUR for postage only, visas a lot more)

Are you working in Denmark? If so then you should be able to apply for an EEA permit to the Irish Embassy or the UKBA which should be free(ish), fast(ish) and only need you to send a marriage certificate, proof of residence (temp cards are OK) and proof you are working in Denmark
Old Dec 5th 2013, 12:18 pm
Just Joined

firstly i want to thank all that have responded to our post and given advice,it has been most helpful.i called the help line that you directed me to Dave and they told me to go to the british consulate but i didnt do that...instead we have applied for a eea family permit from the danish office and we shall be going to finish the process tomorrow..it takes up to 6 months for the permit to come through but they will stamp my wifes passport tomorrow which will enable her to travel with me for christmas to my homeland...to english guy it was a visa we had applied for cause we had not gotten married and i am angry at the price for them just to say no.think it was nearly 300 euro..but no matter..i am just happy now that we can travel to visit my family..again thanks to all
Old Dec 5th 2013, 4:06 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by moabedom
firstly i want to thank all that have responded to our post and given advice,it has been most helpful.i called the help line that you directed me to Dave and they told me to go to the british consulate but i didnt do that...instead we have applied for a eea family permit from the danish office and we shall be going to finish the process tomorrow..it takes up to 6 months for the permit to come through but they will stamp my wifes passport tomorrow which will enable her to travel with me for christmas to my homeland...to english guy it was a visa we had applied for cause we had not gotten married and i am angry at the price for them just to say no.think it was nearly 300 euro..but no matter..i am just happy now that we can travel to visit my family..again thanks to all
Your welcome. You can also email them with questions if you don't fancy calling. I prefer email as there's a paper trail I can print off.
Old Dec 10th 2013, 9:26 am
Just Joined

steve_2013 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AngelaV
Thanks guys!

I am a member of a Facebook group with all members in the process of going through the SS route or have gone through it and are now successfully in the UK. It is very informative as the experiences are straight from the horses mouth. Don't think I can post the link here as it's a closed group but PM me if you are starting the process or seriously thinking of it and I'll try to invite you to the group.

The SS route can be done and it's not that painless. In my opinion, it's better than having immigration hanging over you for 5 years.

It's a little unsettling but the kids are having a ball and in a few months, we will be legally in the UK and my DH will have a temporary resident visa guaranteed and to be able to work (after we get a residency card here). We will also have full access to all facilities. We are treating this leg of the journey as an extended holiday.

FYI - The general rule for work is 10+ hours/10 weeks before moving over but most prefer to wait for the residency card before making the move. There are some people who have been given the stamp on application if all the paperwork is correct (hoping we will be one of those!).
Originally Posted by jemima55
You are definitely brave, launching into the unknown. I really hope it all pays off and you have a settled home life in the UK before too long. I read of the route, but it is interesting to hear of someone who's doing it! Keep us updated, good youve met some friendly people, and I wish you every success, you wonderful,brave person!
Hi ,just saw your comments re the sirinder Singh, please can you contact me so I can discuss my options, I am British and currently in Ireland, my kids are also British, my wife is on a South African passport, they arrive in mid January, how do we start this application.
Thanks steve
Old Dec 10th 2013, 2:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

chaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nice

Originally Posted by steve_2013
Hi ,just saw your comments re the sirinder Singh, please can you contact me so I can discuss my options, I am British and currently in Ireland, my kids are also British, my wife is on a South African passport, they arrive in mid January, how do we start this application.
Thanks steve
if you scroll up to the first post in this thread you will see loads of useful info (http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=804420).

a quick search on google will pull out the general background to doing surrender singh via Ireland.

you might want to ask specific questions here.
Old Dec 10th 2013, 3:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chaoclive
if you scroll up to the first post in this thread you will see loads of useful info (http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=804420).

a quick search on google will pull out the general background to doing surrender singh via Ireland.

you might want to ask specific questions here.
It might be better if they wait and see just how the amendment to the EEA Immigration regulations that the UK changed last week, will alter the requirements of the Surinder Singh route to the UK.

Last edited by formula; Dec 10th 2013 at 3:23 pm.
Old Dec 10th 2013, 4:59 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by formula
It might be better if they wait and see just how the amendment to the EEA Immigration regulations that the UK changed last week, will alter the requirements of the Surinder Singh route to the UK.
I'm not sure "alter the requirements" is the appropriate word to use here. The new regulations are an attempt to tighten the restrictions, not change them, IMO. There is an increased burden of proof that must be evidenced by those wanting to follow the Singh Route in order to show that they are "permanently" (not temporarily) moving to the EEA nation and setting up a life there, prior to moving to the UK.

Here's an article about the changes:
http://britcits.blogspot.co.uk/
Old Dec 10th 2013, 6:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WEBlue
I'm not sure "alter the requirements" is the appropriate word to use here. The new regulations are an attempt to tighten the restrictions, not change them, IMO. There is an increased burden of proof that must be evidenced by those wanting to follow the Singh Route in order to show that they are "permanently" (not temporarily) moving to the EEA nation and setting up a life there, prior to moving to the UK.

The information out there so far about these new Dec. 2012 changes is all still a little vague. In my opinion I think the change of the wording about 'transferring the centre of your life' etc. is just to give UK Immigration Officials more latitude in terms of deciding how they can deny people EEA family permits.
Old Dec 10th 2013, 9:52 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by steve_2013
Thanks steve
Try the EEA Visa .. EU Free Movement, and the EU Free Movement Directive 2004/38/C Facebook groups, and Your Advice. In the FB groups, go to the files sections and read the Surinder Singh for Newbies , the EU Free Movement Directive 2004/38/EC document, and anything else they have there.

Originally Posted by WEBlue

I agree with most of it. The problem will be, how will the Home Office interpret them from Jan 1st? I guarantee that it won't be to our benefit.

I see a problem with 'showing permanantly' moving to another EEA country. How would that be demonstrated?

Originally Posted by MrMuffin
The information out there so far about these new Dec. 2012 changes is all still a little vague. In my opinion I think the change of the wording about 'transferring the centre of your life' etc. is just to give UK Immigration Officials more latitude in terms of deciding how they can deny people EEA family permits.
Nail. Head. Hammer. Construct a sentence with these words.
Old Dec 11th 2013, 3:44 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee
I agree with most of it. The problem will be, how will the Home Office interpret them from Jan 1st? I guarantee that it won't be to our benefit.

I see a problem with 'showing permanantly' moving to another EEA country. How would that be demonstrated?
Yeah, that could be a problem for some. For instance I wonder about those who own a house or business in the UK and want to do the Singh Route for a few months to allow their non-EEA spouse to come live in the UK. If the UKC retains the UK house and/or business, is the Singh Route still possible, or will there be a possible problem showing intent to "permanently" live in the EU/EEA country?

Here's a good article on the tightened restrictions for Singh (coutrtesy of another thread here).
http://blogs.kent.ac.uk/eu-rights-clinic/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.