First time UK passport for Canadian Born

Old Mar 8th 2017, 3:01 am
Just Joined

aorourke is an unknown quantity at this point
Default First time UK passport for Canadian Born

My son is 7yrs old, Born in Canada in 2009 and I am applying for his british passport as Myself born in 1979 and his father were born 1978 in UK both with Uk passports and we were when he was born and are still married.

I filled out the form online and have printed it off so we are at the point of getting the supporting documents together.

We are having a discussion on what documents we need to send off as the way the document checklist is written is not easy to understand (I will be making a phone call in the morning). I am assuing we need to send a full colour copy of my sons Canadian passport, his birth certificate and my birth certificate as I am applying.
We are unsure is I need to send my UK passport along with the application.

Has anyone recently sent off for a first time UK passport and born in Canada?

Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 8th 2017, 9:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First time UK passport for Canadian Born

Im assuming you are using this link
https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passport...g/child/canada

The supporting documents are found in this link
https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...e_G1_10.16.pdf

Does the child have a Canadian passport? If not you would need one for the child to fly back to Canada if you went to the UK on vacation as they couldn't fly back on a UK one.
Also no ESTA/I94 required if carrying a Canadian passport.
Only advantage I see is being able to join the UK passport holders line when arriving in the UK and being exempt from getting a visa if travelling to Brazil.

IMHO just get a Canadian passport.
Old Mar 8th 2017, 11:25 am
Just Joined

aorourke is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Im assuming you are using this link
https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passport...g/child/canada

The supporting documents are found in this link
https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...e_G1_10.16.pdf

Does the child have a Canadian passport? If not you would need one for the child to fly back to Canada if you went to the UK on vacation as they couldn't fly back on a UK one.
Also no ESTA/I94 required if carrying a Canadian passport.
Only advantage I see is being able to join the UK passport holders line when arriving in the UK and being exempt from getting a visa if travelling to Brazil.

IMHO just get a Canadian passport.
He does have a Canadian passport.
Thank you for the table, we didn't come across it on our hunt for more info.
Yes we used that form and it's all printed out. Just making sure we have all the documents needed.
The rest of the family, (we have 2 other kids) have UK passports and it will make it easier for him to travel back and forth to the UK as he gets older.
The rules change all the time so we thought we might as well do it now as we are also renewing our other kids passports.
Old Mar 8th 2017, 12:39 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

You don't need to send your passport, only your full birth certificate.