Can earning requirements be from outside the UK?

Old Apr 9th 2018, 6:19 am
Just Joined

melianger is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can earning requirements be from outside the UK?

Hello everyone,

To start, I'm planning on going to the UK to get my masters degree, but THIS IS NOT A STUDENT/WORK ADVICE POST. Please don't remove it from this forum

Normally I would need to get a student visa (I'm a U.S. citizen), but I've been married to my British husband for 3.5 years. We hope to stay in England after I finish my degree, so that's why I'd rather go on a spouse visa. Also being there on a spouse visa will allow me some other benefits like being able to apply for jobs easily and being able to arrive earlier than only one month before my program.

However, my husband needs to stay abroad where we live now and keep working to help me pay for my degree. He meets the 18,600 yearly salary requirement.

So, the question is: Can we apply for the spouse visa from here (KSA), using his salary here as proof? And then can I go to the UK without him on the spouse visa while he continues to work abroad and earn, and I study in the UK?

Sorry if this has been asked before but I haven't been able to find a clear answer about the salary requirements being met from abroad.

Thanks!
Old Apr 9th 2018, 6:37 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can earning requirements be from outside the UK?

Originally Posted by melianger
Hello everyone,

To start, I'm planning on going to the UK to get my masters degree, but THIS IS NOT A STUDENT/WORK ADVICE POST. Please don't remove it from this forum

Normally I would need to get a student visa (I'm a U.S. citizen), but I've been married to my British husband for 3.5 years. We hope to stay in England after I finish my degree, so that's why I'd rather go on a spouse visa. Also being there on a spouse visa will allow me some other benefits like being able to apply for jobs easily and being able to arrive earlier than only one month before my program.

However, my husband needs to stay abroad where we live now and keep working to help me pay for my degree. He meets the 18,600 yearly salary requirement.

So, the question is: Can we apply for the spouse visa from here (KSA), using his salary here as proof? And then can I go to the UK without him on the spouse visa while he continues to work abroad and earn, and I study in the UK?

Sorry if this has been asked before but I haven't been able to find a clear answer about the salary requirements being met from abroad.

Thanks!
Hi. I'm sorry but this would not work. You need live with your Brit spouse in the UK.
Old Apr 9th 2018, 6:48 am
Just Joined

Wouldn't work in which way? Because he won't be there? I thought it's possible to apply for spouse visas from another country?
Old Apr 9th 2018, 6:53 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Wouldn't work in which way? Because he won't be there? I thought it's possible to apply for spouse visas from another country?
It wouldn't work because a spouse visa is a family settlement visa, it's for you to live in the UK with your British spouse

You apply from another country, and if your visa is granted you move to the UK with your spouse, or if they're already there you join them. You can't move to UK without your spouse, and you can't live there without him, on a spouse visa.
Old Apr 9th 2018, 6:58 am
Just Joined

Aha, got ya.

So couples going back into the UK together must have to secure work before leaving.
Thanks for the answer
Old Apr 9th 2018, 7:04 am
Concierge

Aha, got ya.

So couples going back into the UK together must have to secure work before leaving.
Thanks for the answer
If the sponsor (UK citizen) can't meet the income requirements, the cash savings route is another avenue. If you have the equivalent of £62,500 in cash savings, held in either or both of your names, this can be used to meet the financial requirements. The savings must have been held for at least 6 months, unless they're from the sale of a property owned by the sponsor/applicant, in which case they can be used immediately.

The financial requirements for a spouse visa are far more onerous since the regulations changed in 2012.
Old Apr 9th 2018, 8:04 am
Just Joined

62, 500? That's insane! Is anyone really ever able to go that route?
Old Apr 9th 2018, 8:38 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, a quick search of the forum and read of the spousal threads will give you more info on those who are applying that way. Most do so from selling their property I believe.

Good luck.
Old Apr 9th 2018, 4:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, thousands of couples have gone this route.
Old Apr 9th 2018, 5:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute

It is not insane. The £62,500 savings requirement is to stop UK spouse visa holders from getting social security benefit payments.