British citizenship help please

Old Apr 9th 2018, 10:27 am
Just Joined

Jlahaye is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British citizenship help please

Hi, I am a bit confused as to where I stand. I was born in France in jan 1981 to a French mother and British father (by birth). He is not on my birth certificate as he was in uk at the time. My mother and I came to uk in 1981 and my parents married in June 1981 (since divorced). Not sure if I am already a British citizen or if I have to apply using ukf as he is not on my birth certificate. Having to do same for my daughter as she was born in uk 2004 and her father and I were not married and never have been. Her brother born 2007 was automatically given citizenship. If I get my citizenship first will my daughter automatically be British or would she still need separate application? Sorry for so many questions but I can’t find any helpful info specific to my case on gov.uk
Old Apr 9th 2018, 2:05 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British citizenship help please

The subsequent marriage of your parents would ordinarily been sufficient to legitimise your birth for the purposes of British nationality law. That your father is not on your birth certificate however causes an additional hurdle.

I would suggest you will need to add your father to your birth certificate and together with the revised birth certificate and your parents' marriage certificate you should be able to obtain your British passport.

As such your daughter will also automatically be a British citizen and you will be able to obtain her British passport without Home Office registration.
Old Apr 9th 2018, 5:51 pm
Just Joined

Jlahaye is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you so much. Just to clarify if my father is added on to my French birth certificate I automatically have British citizenship and can apply for a passport and the fact that they are divorced now doesn’t matter?
Originally Posted by BritInParis
The subsequent marriage of your parents would ordinarily been sufficient to legitimise your birth for the purposes of British nationality law. That your father is not on your birth certificate however causes an additional hurdle.

I would suggest you will need to add your father to your birth certificate and together with the revised birth certificate and your parents' marriage certificate you should be able to obtain your British passport.

As such your daughter will also automatically be a British citizen and you will be able to obtain her British passport without Home Office registration.
Old Apr 9th 2018, 7:18 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jlahaye
Thank you so much. Just to clarify if my father is added on to my French birth certificate I automatically have British citizenship and can apply for a passport and the fact that they are divorced now doesn’t matter?
You already have British citizenship - it's just a case of having sufficient evidence to confirm to a Passport Officer that you do. So long as your parents were married at some point then that will normally be enough. Your father may be requested to complete a domicile questionnaire depending if your Passport Officer thinks it necessary.