Applying for Spouse visa

Old May 3rd 2024, 7:10 pm
Just Joined

throwaway123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Applying for Spouse visa

Hi all!

I'll be applying for the Spouse visa in June this year and just wanted to double check what we need for the application.

We got married in April, I'm an EU citizen, my wife is British.
She is currently unemployed and on Universal Credit and PIP, living with her mother in a fully paid off 4bed, 2 bath with 2 big living rooms on the bottom floor (~145sqm2), so there would be plenty of space for the three of us.
I am currently still employed in my EU company and can continue working remotly from the UK if and after the visa application is approved. We also have savings of over 50k€ (not sure if a specific or higher number is advised in Extra Information bit in the Financial part of the application online).
I'll also be taking my UKVI B1 english test in June.

For the documents part, we will provide:
Both Passports
Bank statements for Wife for PIP and UC
Official document from DWP for PIP
Proof of relationship: marriage certificate, photos and joint trips for holidays and travelling back and forth between EU and UK

For proof of relationship, we unfortunately do not have any joint utility bills or the like, as we have not been officially living together.

Before we pay the IHS and submit the application, just wanted to know if we covered everything and also what the process is after submitting the application.
From my understanding, after applying all I have to do is book an appointment for biometrics information and thats it?

Thanks for any input you guys can give!

Old May 3rd 2024, 7:28 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for Spouse visa

Originally Posted by throwaway123
Hi all!

I'll be applying for the Spouse visa in June this year and just wanted to double check what we need for the application.

We got married in April, I'm an EU citizen, my wife is British.
She is currently unemployed and on Universal Credit and PIP, living with her mother in a fully paid off 4bed, 2 bath with 2 big living rooms on the bottom floor (~145sqm2), so there would be plenty of space for the three of us.
I am currently still employed in my EU company and can continue working remotly from the UK if and after the visa application is approved. We also have savings of over 50k€ (not sure if a specific or higher number is advised in Extra Information bit in the Financial part of the application online).
I'll also be taking my UKVI B1 english test in June.

For the documents part, we will provide:
Both Passports
Bank statements for Wife for PIP and UC
Official document from DWP for PIP
Proof of relationship: marriage certificate, photos and joint trips for holidays and travelling back and forth between EU and UK

For proof of relationship, we unfortunately do not have any joint utility bills or the like, as we have not been officially living together.

Before we pay the IHS and submit the application, just wanted to know if we covered everything and also what the process is after submitting the application.
From my understanding, after applying all I have to do is book an appointment for biometrics information and thats it?

Thanks for any input you guys can give!
Hi, welcome to BE.

How do you plan to meet the financial requirements?

Don't forget the proof of accommodation, you don't seem to have that in your list although you've mentioned it above.
Old May 3rd 2024, 7:54 pm
Just Joined

Hi! Thank you and thanks for the reply.

According to the online application website, since my wife is on Universal Credit & PIP, they didn't ask for any employment (salary) or savings information. From what we've seen online, we only need to meet the adequate maintenance and accommodation (let me know if this is true or not please).
We would also provide bank statements for savings, but the application does not actually state them in the Documents section of the application.
My wife currently recieves around 1300pcm and we would not be paying any rent, only help with utility bills and such.
Mother in law also wrote a declaration that we're are free to stay at the house for as long as we want/need to. The house and land is fully paid off and owned, we have the documents for this as well.

Old May 3rd 2024, 7:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

The OP is applying under adequate maintenance an dis providing bank statements to show payments.
OP should also include documentation from MIL giving her OK for him to live there and proof that she owns the house.

Joint bills are not required for newly married.
Old May 3rd 2024, 8:11 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi! Thank you and thanks for the reply.

According to the online application website, since my wife is on Universal Credit & PIP, they didn't ask for any employment (salary) or savings information. From what we've seen online, we only need to meet the adequate maintenance and accommodation (let me know if this is true or not please).
We would also provide bank statements for savings, but the application does not actually state them in the Documents section of the application.
My wife currently recieves around 1300pcm and we would not be paying any rent, only help with utility bills and such.
Mother in law also wrote a declaration that we're are free to stay at the house for as long as we want/need to. The house and land is fully paid off and owned, we have the documents for this as well.
But your wife isn't eligible for UC with savings of €50k, so that income won't be continuing.
Old May 3rd 2024, 9:39 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
But your wife isn't eligible for UC with savings of €50k, so that income won't be continuing.
Sorry, in technical terms I have the savings, as they are from my current employment and other long term savings. I said we since we are married.
But from what it says in regards to the process, my savings also count towards the financial requirement if they are needed.
Old May 3rd 2024, 10:53 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Sorry, in technical terms I have the savings, as they are from my current employment and other long term savings. I said we since we are married.
But from what it says in regards to the process, my savings also count towards the financial requirement if they are needed.
She needs to report a change of circumstances, and your savings are counted for her UC eligibility. https://www.gov.uk/universal-credit/eligibility

But yes, your savings will count for the spousal visa app.

Good luck.

Last edited by christmasoompa; May 3rd 2024 at 11:01 pm.
Old May 4th 2024, 4:56 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
She needs to report a change of circumstances, and your savings are counted for her UC eligibility.

But yes, your savings will count for the spousal visa app.

Good luck.
She already reported the change last Friday, so we're still waiting for a response from their end in regards to UC.

Was just wondering if there is anything else we might have missed or still need to do.
Old May 4th 2024, 5:26 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

She already reported the change last Friday, so we're still waiting for a response from their end in regards to UC.

Was just wondering if there is anything else we might have missed or still need to do.
No, as long as you meet the financial requirements without her UC - I'm not sure how much PIP would be so no idea on that, but sounds like you're all set if so.

Best of luck.