Phasing out BRPs

Old Nov 30th 2023, 9:38 am
Forum Regular

DernierVirage has a reputation beyond reputeDernierVirage has a reputation beyond reputeDernierVirage has a reputation beyond reputeDernierVirage has a reputation beyond reputeDernierVirage has a reputation beyond reputeDernierVirage has a reputation beyond reputeDernierVirage has a reputation beyond reputeDernierVirage has a reputation beyond reputeDernierVirage has a reputation beyond reputeDernierVirage has a reputation beyond reputeDernierVirage has a reputation beyond repute
Default Phasing out BRPs

Originally Posted by BritInParis
It’s unlikely that the BRP’s expiry date matches the expiry date of the visa as all BRPs will expire no later than 31 December 2024 ahead of the Home Office’s scheduled replacement of BRPs with eVisas.

The OP should check the expiry date of their visa in the decision letter or email they received when the visa was issued or use the link below to view their immigration status for the correct expiry date which is likely to be in late 2025 or early 2026.

https://www.gov.uk/view-prove-immigration-status
This is a bit off-topic so maybe it should be a new thread, but here goes.....On the subject of the phasing out of BRPs, is there any news about what exactly will happen in terms of travel? All I can find on the government website are details about proving your status online to landlords or employers, but how will you prove your status when you are going through immigration, checking in for a flight back to the UK etc?
Old Nov 30th 2023, 6:10 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Phasing out BRPs

Originally Posted by DernierVirage
This is a bit off-topic so maybe it should be a new thread, but here goes.....On the subject of the phasing out of BRPs, is there any news about what exactly will happen in terms of travel? All I can find on the government website are details about proving your status online to landlords or employers, but how will you prove your status when you are going through immigration, checking in for a flight back to the UK etc?
In theory it’ll be moving to an entirely electronic system, similar to Australia, with eVisas associated with passport numbers. More details are due by the summer.
Old Nov 30th 2023, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

DernierVirage has a reputation beyond reputeDernierVirage has a reputation beyond reputeDernierVirage has a reputation beyond reputeDernierVirage has a reputation beyond reputeDernierVirage has a reputation beyond reputeDernierVirage has a reputation beyond reputeDernierVirage has a reputation beyond reputeDernierVirage has a reputation beyond reputeDernierVirage has a reputation beyond reputeDernierVirage has a reputation beyond reputeDernierVirage has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks - I just hope that the arrangements are implemented efficiently well in advance of the 31/12/2024 cut off, since it could make travel really sticky otherwise ! My wife has ILR and is a Chinese passport holder, so you can imagine my concern.
Old Nov 30th 2023, 11:57 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Completely understandable. Even those of us with the ‘inside scoop’ are trepidatious given this has been years in the planning, we are almost 12 months away from full implementation and yet we have not seen the details.
Old Dec 1st 2023, 12:45 pm
Forum Regular

That scares me, but nothing we can do. This is useless speculation now, but it could have maybe been wiser to issue ILR BRPs with no expiry date, just to cover any delays or teething problems, rather than an artificial 31/12/2024 cut-off. One thing is sure, there is no way we would travel outside the UK without being 100% sure that this new system is actually working and being recognised by other countries.

Last edited by DernierVirage; Dec 1st 2023 at 1:11 pm. Reason: typo and improve meaning
Old Dec 1st 2023, 1:21 pm

I think this might be a good thread to post any further information or questions as they arise.
Old Jan 20th 2024, 8:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BritInParis
I think this might be a good thread to post any further information or questions as they arise.
I noticed in another thread that you mentioned that BRPs "...will be phased out by the end of the year so keep an eye out for any publicity around the process to switch to an eVisa this summer...." (my highlighting in bold).

I just wondered if you had found out any concrete details about the changeover arrangements, or is this your own best estimate? Thanks !

Old Jan 21st 2024, 12:18 am

Originally Posted by DernierVirage
I noticed in another thread that you mentioned that BRPs "...will be phased out by the end of the year so keep an eye out for any publicity around the process to switch to an eVisa this summer...." (my highlighting in bold).

I just wondered if you had found out any concrete details about the changeover arrangements, or is this your own best estimate? Thanks !
No new details only that the full implementation will be announced/start this summer and BRPs will be gone by the end of the year. No information yet on how this will be communicated nor how people who have never had their biometrics taken will be accommodated. I’ll pass on the latest information as and when I find out.
Old Jan 21st 2024, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

Thanks !!