Spouse Visa from NZ - time to enter UK once approved

Old Jun 24th 2023, 9:56 pm
Just Joined

kylie_anne is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spouse Visa from NZ - time to enter UK once approved

Hi all,

I've completed the online spousal visa application (from New Zealand) with my biometric appointment in 2 days. I'm just hoping to clarify what timeframe I have to enter the UK once approved, as this threw me off when completing the application:

"Date you plan to arrive in the UK
(Required)
If you are unsure of the date, enter the month and year. After your application has been approved, you will have 30 days to arrange travel to the UK. Do not buy a non-refundable ticket or confirm travel arrangements to come to the UK until your application has been approved. Enter date in the format DD MM YYYY.

If your application is successful, you will be granted a visa to enter the UK. The visa will only be valid for entry to the UK for 90 days. If your visa expires before you travel to the UK, you will have to apply for a replacement visa.
After you arrive in the UK, you will collect a biometric residence permit, which will show that you have permission to remain in the UK."

So do I have 30 days or 90 days to enter the UK? I understand the 90 day visa period is also to cover time for me to collect my BRP after arriving in the UK. It's just that we have a family wedding on Dec 2 (I did put December as my planned arrival date mentioned above) and was hoping to still be in NZ (rather than having to fly back) for it - but if the average spouse visa approval takes 3 months (my application is super simple, husband is british and we have a 10mo old son with all the financial /accom requirements met), my approval might be approx mid/end September - so 30 days to enter the UK would mean I miss the wedding but 90 days might juuuuust allow me to attend. Also, 30 days notice just isn't much time to wrap up your entire life and relocate!

Thanks guys
Old Jun 24th 2023, 11:22 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spouse Visa from NZ - time to enter UK once approved

It was 30 days but it was increased to 90 days due to Covid and has yet to change back.
Old Jun 24th 2023, 11:36 pm
Just Joined

Makes total sense, thank you!
Old Jun 25th 2023, 7:01 am
Just Joined

ShelleyR75 is an unknown quantity at this point

We applied from NZ for my husband's spouse visa in early March and his Biometric appt was on 22 Mar in Manukau. We put Oct as our travel date plans on his application. At that time the processing time on the website was 24 weeks. However his visa was approved on 15th May (way sooner than we ever expected) and gave us until 16th August to enter the UK. Just a wee bit earlier than we anticipated 😀
Good luck with yours
Old Jun 25th 2023, 7:41 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ShelleyR75
We applied from NZ for my husband's spouse visa in early March and his Biometric appt was on 22 Mar in Manukau. We put Oct as our travel date plans on his application. At that time the processing time on the website was 24 weeks. However his visa was approved on 15th May (way sooner than we ever expected) and gave us until 16th August to enter the UK. Just a wee bit earlier than we anticipated 😀
Good luck with yours
Wow, what an incredibly quick approval for you guys! That's amazing! If they're potentially approving applications earlier than their anticipated processing times then I'll really need to pull my finger out and get my ducks in a row - we've got an entire 3 bedroom.house to clear out! (aren't going to bother shipping furniture, just a few sentimental pieces or art and personal belongings). If you have any other tips or guidance on relocating from NZ, that would be amazing =D
Old Jun 25th 2023, 7:51 am
Just Joined

We are heading to the UK for just a couple of years...so have taken a storage unit for some personal stuff - like you, we are getting rid of most of the big stuff. We are renting the house out. 6 weeks before we leave 🙅‍♀️

Best wishes for your plans
Old Jun 26th 2023, 11:22 pm
Just Joined

Thank you! Sorry just one other question, do you recall whether you were able to track the progress of your application once it was submitted? Or is it just radio silence unless there's an issue or a decision?
Old Jun 27th 2023, 12:08 am
Just Joined

We got a notification from them after the Biometrics appt, then nothing until early May when they requested an extra financial document (and gave us 10 days to send it).
Within a week of us sending it we got the approval letter. No progress emails inbetween though 😀
Old Jun 27th 2023, 1:27 pm
Just Joined

RoqVodster is an unknown quantity at this point

I applied from NZ in 2019, got the confirmation email when the application was received, and then nothing until the decision had been made after 50 business days (pre-covid).
Planning ahead, the renewal last year was much easier although it was made so by keeping a file of paper bills and bank statements from the intervening years, including in joint names if possible. This meant I could easily find, scan and send a representative sample for my renewal application (took about 20 business days from biometrics).
You can exchange your NZ driver license for a UK one after a year (there is a charge) although I have always found DVLA processing times to be very quick. Also as a Commonwealth citizen you can register to vote as soon as you arrive!
Good luck with it all!
Old Jun 30th 2023, 9:31 pm
Just Joined

Thank you!! Super helpful info, very much appreciated =D especially about being able to vote, never would have thought about that!

Completed biometrics on Tuesday then had to courier passports (as the biometric appointment was in Manukau) which were delivered Thursday afternoon (craxy - 2 days to travel 30min away!) and the VFS Global site now shows Application submitted to UKVI - so now we wait! I'm obsurdly impatient so will need to restrain from checking the VFS site every other day

Appreciate all the help everyone!

Old Jun 30th 2023, 11:17 pm
Just Joined

I have also heard that if you are going to exchange your NZ drivers licence for a UK one, it will be for an automatic only as NZ licenses don't specify note both types. If you contact Waka Kotahi and request a "Letter of Entitlement" they will email it to you and it will show you are licensed to drive both.