Salary and Living in HK

Old Oct 23rd 2014, 2:22 pm
Just Joined

Youngworker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Salary and Living in HK

Hello -

I am currently working in the Middle East and I am currently being offered a position in HK. Please can anyone advise on whether or not the salary is firstly a good salary and secondly would allow me to live a good expat lifestyle.

About me: I am Cost Consultant (Construction) in my early 20's I tend to eat out 3 time a week and go out drinking 2 times a week, in regards to accomodation I am looking to share an apartment with other young expats (more for social reasons) and whilst in HK I would like to save a a little bit of money.

The salary: 62,000 HKD per month

Let me know what sort of lifestyle I could afford to live with the salary on offer.

Thanks in advance!
Old Oct 24th 2014, 4:39 am
Just Joined

Windytsoi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Salary and Living in HK

I am from Hong Kong and happened to see your post and below are my advises:-

Firstly, you need to know what area you are working in, Hong Kong is divided into Kowloon, Hong Kong Island and New Territories. Most of the foreigners in HK concentrate in HK Island. The very important thing you need to consider is the price housing which is always kind of unreasonable but you can find a good one if you are lucky enough... (From what I know the rent always cost you around $1,0000)

You can find more information in the link below for more information.
hongkong.geoexpat.com

Secondly, you certainly don't have to worry about anything about dining outside in HK an d the night life.
The variety of food is more than imagine and the pricing is very cheap (HKD 30-40 for a luch) and can be expensive it depends!
There are popular spot of drinking in HK and there are lots of expats concentrate there haha.

Lastly, your salary in HK is higher than average. I believe you will do more than fine here and saving is not a problem!!

I hope my reply can solve some of your problems.
Wish you the best in HK. Cheers!
Old Oct 24th 2014, 9:12 am
BE Enthusiast

hong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Salary and Living in HK

You will be absolutely fine on that salary. Eating out is a way of life in HK which has a great night life. You are really going to enjoy yourself. So your main problem will be being able to save.
Flat share is definitely the cheapest option, but you have to find the right flat mates to make it work. HK$5k-10k for flat share. If you decide to rent your own place a small 1 or 2 bed apartment will cost anything from HK$15k upwards depending on where you live.

Not all expats live on the island. Many live in Kowloon and the New Territories. But as a young single guy I would definitely advise you live on the Island as close the action as you can afford.

Good luck