Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > China/Hong Kong
Reload this Page >

police registration- ningbo china (HELP!!!)

police registration- ningbo china (HELP!!!)

Old Nov 3rd 2014, 1:25 am
Just Joined

Bryan mckean is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation police registration- ningbo china (HELP!!!)

first time poster Expats! any and all help would be more than appreciated!

Im 20 years old and recently made the big jump and left the UK to move with my wife to china. She has a Z visa and I have just arrived with an S1 visa. I was made aware before leaving that I would have to register with the chinese police within 30(?) days of arriving, this is where the problem arrives.

Ive been told by my wifes work that due to my visa being based around me accompanying my wife that I would have to get my marriage certificate notarised in shanghai. I contacted the UK consulate this morning to get more information and they told me that they CANT notorise it for me because it was issued in the UK. The clock is ticking before my temporary visa runs out and I cannot for the life of me find any info on what to do or even who to speak to!

my question is this, Do I need to get my marriage certificate notorised or not? and if so then where do I go to do this? also are there any other documents I should have prepared for police registry?

Thanks in advance!
Old Nov 5th 2014, 2:43 pm
Just Joined

Kawasaki_Mike is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: police registration- ningbo china (HELP!!!)

Originally Posted by Bryan mckean
first time poster Expats! any and all help would be more than appreciated!

Im 20 years old and recently made the big jump and left the UK to move with my wife to china. She has a Z visa and I have just arrived with an S1 visa. I was made aware before leaving that I would have to register with the chinese police within 30(?) days of arriving, this is where the problem arrives.

Ive been told by my wifes work that due to my visa being based around me accompanying my wife that I would have to get my marriage certificate notarised in shanghai. I contacted the UK consulate this morning to get more information and they told me that they CANT notorise it for me because it was issued in the UK. The clock is ticking before my temporary visa runs out and I cannot for the life of me find any info on what to do or even who to speak to!

my question is this, Do I need to get my marriage certificate notorised or not? and if so then where do I go to do this? also are there any other documents I should have prepared for police registry?

Thanks in advance!
Hi, here is a website that explains it all. It appears that a Marriage certificate does not need to be notarized. Chinese S Visa: S1/S2 for Private Visits
Old Nov 6th 2014, 1:58 am
Forum Regular

petrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: police registration- ningbo china (HELP!!!)

Bryan, I'm in Taiwan, not China, so I can't offer specific advice, but in your situation I would go to the police and feign ignorance. You might get lucky and get someone who also doesn't know this rule, or you might get someone lazy enough to let it slide. The worst thing that can happen is they refuse your application, but at least you will have shown you tried to do the right thing. Don't go in there telling them you know you're missing essential documents, though.