Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > China/Hong Kong
Reload this Page >

Register British citizenship in china?

Register British citizenship in china?

Old May 11th 2013, 4:57 pm
Just Joined

britinchina is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Register British citizenship in china?

Hi Vexcore,

Can you give us an update about what happened please? I'm in a very similar position to you now. I'm British and my wife is Chinese, we are currently living in China.

From my understanding the child cannot have both a Chinese and British Passport. If born in China you will need to renounce their Chinese citizenship if you want them to hold a British Passport. I'm not 110% sure this is correct, it's just what I was told by a few people and read online. We heard from a friend in a similar position that renouncing Chinese citizenship for the child is a real pain.

How did things work out in the end? feel free to send me a PM if you don't wish to write all the details on this forum.

Thanks very much for your time.
Old May 11th 2013, 6:20 pm
Looking Around~

Vexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond repute

Simple:

Make sure your wife doesn't register your baby with the police and get Chinese citizenship... wait for a few months go to British embassy with your baby and show them your birth cert and the babies birth cert and all should go well all legal steps to apply for British citizenship.

BUT KEEP IN MIND - your baby will be living on visa's all the time till you return back to UK.
Old May 11th 2013, 6:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

And bear in mind the current difficulties that wives of British citizens have with visas etc for UK !!!
Old May 12th 2013, 6:53 am
Just Joined

britinchina is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks a lot both of you for the advice. To be honest we have another possible option, which is my wife giving birth in HK. We lived in HK up until last year so still have a valid residence permit I believe. It will cost a lot more due to accommodation and living expenses but should save a lot of hassle in the future, especially as we may stay in China for a few more years.

I just need to double check everything with HK immigration and the hospitals there.

Thanks again!
Old May 19th 2013, 5:54 am
Looking Around~

Vexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britinchina
Thanks a lot both of you for the advice. To be honest we have another possible option, which is my wife giving birth in HK. We lived in HK up until last year so still have a valid residence permit I believe. It will cost a lot more due to accommodation and living expenses but should save a lot of hassle in the future, especially as we may stay in China for a few more years.

I just need to double check everything with HK immigration and the hospitals there.

Thanks again!
Still doesn't change the fact that baby will need a visa after 180 days even if he's British citizen

Also keep in mind it will say 'place of birth' HONG KONG on his British passport unless you have the baby in China it will list the city not the country of place of birth.

Regardless what you'll do, - you will still be paying for visa's all the time till you go back to UK... unless youll stay in HK for 5+ years

---

As for me, i plan to go to Beijing British embassy with my birth certificate (born in 1987 in UK) along with my British passport and i will register a consular birth certificate then apply for a passport for my son/daughter.

But after 1 year the baby is born im heading back to UK - no way in hell i'll let my son/daughter grow in in the PRC lol

Good Luck dude !

VX