Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > China/Hong Kong
Reload this Page >

Moving to Hong Kong with a family - where to live?

Moving to Hong Kong with a family - where to live?

Old May 4th 2011, 8:29 pm
Just Joined

bluemoon73 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Hong Kong with a family - where to live?

Hi,

I am contemplating a job offer in Hong Kong and need some advice on good areas to live in. I would be moving over with a young family with 2 children (4yrs & 7 months) and would be looking for an area with good schools.

The job would be based on the Kowloon side.

Rental budget would be maximum HK$130k per month - is this enough to get a decent house, in a good area with some outside space?

All thoughts welcome.
Old May 4th 2011, 9:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Hong Kong with a family - where to live?

If it were me I'd be looking around the Sai Kung area or Silver Strand.
Great sea views and away from the poor air quality.

This was 12 years ago so dunno about the poor air quality now.

Make sure you visit before you sign up and check air quality yourself because that might be a deal breaker with a young family.

Or maybe try somewhere around Stanley or Shek O but they are a longish way to travel to Kowloon.
Old May 5th 2011, 12:57 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

$130k will get you something decent basically anywhere, but the bigger problem will be schools. Applications for international schools and for ESF (the government funded English language schools) were absolutely crazy this year. Long wait lists at most places. Your approach to schools in the first year may very well be "any port in a storm".

I would get in touch with the schools and with your company's HR department to see if they have a debenture to get you a place at a school. Once you have narrowed down where the kids will be you can focus more on where to live.

Stanley and Repulse Bay (ie the South Side) are popular with expats but a bit of a hike for someone in Kowloon. Clearwater Bay is popular for expats who want more of a house rather than a flat in a big building. If you are looking for convenience than Midlevels are an option for many expats.

But schools should really be your first priority. I'd be on the phone with a few admissions offices today to get an idea what options are available.

http://geoschools.com is an expat school site. Geoexpats.com also has some school discussions.

UPDATE: Sorry, just reread your post after posting mine and saw your kids were 4 and 7 months. That makes things quite a bit easier.

Reception at most schools here, like in the UK, generally starts at age 4. But there are dozens of private kindergartens around that will take 4 year olds until they turn 5. Woodlands and Tutor Time are probably the two largest chains, and they have campuses all over the island and in Kowloon.

The good bit is you will have some school for them this year, the bad bit is that you'll miss out on the formal entrance to many international schools when there are the most openings. Say there are 30 openings for Reception 1. Next year, when they are five, they'll be only 4 openings to replace kids who have moved along. Can be kind of rough. I should probably also warn you that to get into any international school your child will have to be interviewed / assessed for their 'readiness to enter school'. It can be quite daunting for shy children and the whole process makes most parents groan, but it's the way it is so you have to take part.

However, a few schools will not start their systems until age 5. ESF Primary Schools start at 5, so you have basically the same chance to get in there as anyone else (provided you meet the application deadline in September and that your kid speak English). Some other schools follow this pattern as well.

So for right now, you can concentrate on living basically where you want to live. There will likely be a private kindergarten nearby so you can get them into some schooling asap and focus on next year. Next year, once you have a better feel for the city and the schools available, you might end up moving closer to the international school you are considering (ESF schools, btw, are based on where you live).

http://www.geobaby.com is another messageboard for expat parents with young children. You might find some good advice there on different pre-schools and whatnot.

fwiw I have a 4 and a 2.5 year old. We live in 30 story building in Midlevels on May Road just down from the Peak. Very convenient. We went to Woodlands Peak for pre-school and will likely start at Hong Kong International School next year or ESF Peak (still deciding). Our building has a 'playroom' on one floor with padded walls and slides and toys. Has been great for the kids as they have others to play with daily and it has improved their sociability incredibly.

And what ex reg said about pollution is right. If you live closer to Central you'll have more of a battle. There is a website that compares the HK air quality to the UK air quality standards. Can be pretty scary at times:

http://theairyoubreathe.com/

Last edited by penguinsix; May 5th 2011 at 1:14 am.
Old May 5th 2011, 10:06 am
BE Forum Addict

discobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bluemoon73
Rental budget would be maximum HK$130k per month - is this enough to get a decent house, in a good area with some outside space?
Can you confirm that your budget is HK$130,000 per month?
Old May 5th 2011, 7:40 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by discobay
Can you confirm that your budget is HK$130,000 per month?
Hi, yes budget is HK$130,000 per month.
Old May 5th 2011, 7:41 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by penguinsix
$130k will get you something decent basically anywhere, but the bigger problem will be schools. Applications for international schools and for ESF (the government funded English language schools) were absolutely crazy this year. Long wait lists at most places. Your approach to schools in the first year may very well be "any port in a storm".

I would get in touch with the schools and with your company's HR department to see if they have a debenture to get you a place at a school. Once you have narrowed down where the kids will be you can focus more on where to live.

Stanley and Repulse Bay (ie the South Side) are popular with expats but a bit of a hike for someone in Kowloon. Clearwater Bay is popular for expats who want more of a house rather than a flat in a big building. If you are looking for convenience than Midlevels are an option for many expats.

But schools should really be your first priority. I'd be on the phone with a few admissions offices today to get an idea what options are available.

http://geoschools.com is an expat school site. Geoexpats.com also has some school discussions.

UPDATE: Sorry, just reread your post after posting mine and saw your kids were 4 and 7 months. That makes things quite a bit easier.

Reception at most schools here, like in the UK, generally starts at age 4. But there are dozens of private kindergartens around that will take 4 year olds until they turn 5. Woodlands and Tutor Time are probably the two largest chains, and they have campuses all over the island and in Kowloon.

The good bit is you will have some school for them this year, the bad bit is that you'll miss out on the formal entrance to many international schools when there are the most openings. Say there are 30 openings for Reception 1. Next year, when they are five, they'll be only 4 openings to replace kids who have moved along. Can be kind of rough. I should probably also warn you that to get into any international school your child will have to be interviewed / assessed for their 'readiness to enter school'. It can be quite daunting for shy children and the whole process makes most parents groan, but it's the way it is so you have to take part.

However, a few schools will not start their systems until age 5. ESF Primary Schools start at 5, so you have basically the same chance to get in there as anyone else (provided you meet the application deadline in September and that your kid speak English). Some other schools follow this pattern as well.

So for right now, you can concentrate on living basically where you want to live. There will likely be a private kindergarten nearby so you can get them into some schooling asap and focus on next year. Next year, once you have a better feel for the city and the schools available, you might end up moving closer to the international school you are considering (ESF schools, btw, are based on where you live).

http://www.geobaby.com is another messageboard for expat parents with young children. You might find some good advice there on different pre-schools and whatnot.

fwiw I have a 4 and a 2.5 year old. We live in 30 story building in Midlevels on May Road just down from the Peak. Very convenient. We went to Woodlands Peak for pre-school and will likely start at Hong Kong International School next year or ESF Peak (still deciding). Our building has a 'playroom' on one floor with padded walls and slides and toys. Has been great for the kids as they have others to play with daily and it has improved their sociability incredibly.

And what ex reg said about pollution is right. If you live closer to Central you'll have more of a battle. There is a website that compares the HK air quality to the UK air quality standards. Can be pretty scary at times:

http://theairyoubreathe.com/

Thanks for all your help, gives me plenty to think about.