Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > China/Hong Kong
Reload this Page >

Advice on teaching/working in Hong Kong?

Advice on teaching/working in Hong Kong?

Old Sep 20th 2008, 12:22 am
Just Joined

Paul Keefe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice on teaching/working in Hong Kong?

My partner and I are moving to Hong Kong where she has been offered a job beginning early October. We met whilst working on board a cruise ship and have since been living together in London for the past 2 years. During this time I have been working as a Club Host at a private members club in the city.

I am 32 years of age, native English and have a British passport (but no degree!). I have spent most of my twenties working around Europe with tour operators doing various jobs ie chalet host, resort rep etc.

When we arrive in Hong Kong I am very keen to pursue some kind of English teaching job.

Could you advise me please on what the different levels of teaching are, what might be suitable for me in Hong Kong and the courses available out there.

Concerned about my Working Visa?
Old Oct 10th 2008, 8:53 am
Just Joined

jaykayhk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Advice on teaching/working in Hong Kong?

Originally Posted by Paul Keefe
My partner and I are moving to Hong Kong where she has been offered a job beginning early October. We met whilst working on board a cruise ship and have since been living together in London for the past 2 years. During this time I have been working as a Club Host at a private members club in the city.

I am 32 years of age, native English and have a British passport (but no degree!). I have spent most of my twenties working around Europe with tour operators doing various jobs ie chalet host, resort rep etc.

When we arrive in Hong Kong I am very keen to pursue some kind of English teaching job.

Could you advise me please on what the different levels of teaching are, what might be suitable for me in Hong Kong and the courses available out there.

Concerned about my Working Visa?
Well there are different levels as far as the supply for schools and for learning centres, etc. For local schools in HK there is a NET teacher scheme but this is mainly for degree holding teachers with PGDE. What you may find is a private company that provides their own teachers to schools and learning centres and are able to sponser a working visa. However these are few and far between. Taking a course such as TEFL would help.

Your other option is to get married whereby you would be then eligible for a dependant visa which allows you to work where you like without restriction whereas your wife would be restricted to working for the employer who sponsers her visa only.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 2:20 pm
Just Joined

Paul Keefe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Advice on teaching/working in Hong Kong?

Thankyou,

Think I may go to the Mainland and do an intense four week TEFL course. I have been in touch with one such scheme and they say they have a lot of contacts here in Hong Kong to help me find a job on completion of course.

Couldn`t possibly get married for visa reasons!! What would her Mum say