What to bring!

Old Jun 14th 2017, 6:56 pm
Just Joined

Jmardav is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What to bring!

I am moving out to Cayman in August and just about to sort out shipping. So wanted to ask everyone, what are the things I should bring with me? That you regretted not bringing?

Thanks

Jo
Old Jun 15th 2017, 9:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What to bring!

Originally Posted by Jmardav
I am moving out to Cayman in August and just about to sort out shipping. So wanted to ask everyone, what are the things I should bring with me? That you regretted not bringing?

Thanks

Jo
Your shoes will fall apart so bring shoes! Flip flops, sneakers and proper shoes.

Everything is available at a price - depends if you want to pay that price!

Teabags, beach clothes and a corkscrew were what I was advised when I moved there several years ago - think the same holds true today! I was down for a visit last week - lots of building going on!
Old Jun 16th 2017, 8:26 am
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Look carefully at your shirts. If they arent 100% cotton you will know the difference when in the caribbean. Birkenstock sandals are the best, usable most places but only get the ones with real leather uppers or they wont wear in so well or look nice when weathered.

Corkscrew? The screw top was a game changer!
Old Jun 18th 2017, 4:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Orangepants
Teabags, beach clothes and a corkscrew were what I was advised when I moved there several years ago - think the same holds true today! I was down for a visit last week - lots of building going on!
Orange - so it was you who flooded the Island with all the damn teabags! The supermarkets are stacked to the rafters with teabags - at least a thousand different varieties of herbal ones in every shop, besides the normal types. Jo - you really don't need to bring teabags, I assure you. Unless - I just thought of this - maybe all that building going on is to warehouse Orange's imported teabags!

Beach clothes... well, I'm not sure what beach clothes are, besides shorts and T-shirts. Oh, and a hat: yes, you will need a hat, Jo, but it doesn't need to be a special beach-y kind of hat. My son wears the same hat he used to wear in Norway - in the Norwegian summer at least. Is that any help?

Seriously - Cayman has plenty of everything. We've lived here for forty years and when we take holidays in England or Europe, we never feel the need to stock up with anything.
Old Jun 19th 2017, 8:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
Orange - so it was you who flooded the Island with all the damn teabags! The supermarkets are stacked to the rafters with teabags - at least a thousand different varieties of herbal ones in every shop, besides the normal types. Jo - you really don't need to bring teabags, I assure you. Unless - I just thought of this - maybe all that building going on is to warehouse Orange's imported teabags!

Beach clothes... well, I'm not sure what beach clothes are, besides shorts and T-shirts. Oh, and a hat: yes, you will need a hat, Jo, but it doesn't need to be a special beach-y kind of hat. My son wears the same hat he used to wear in Norway - in the Norwegian summer at least. Is that any help?

Seriously - Cayman has plenty of everything. We've lived here for forty years and when we take holidays in England or Europe, we never feel the need to stock up with anything.
Love me some teabags!

When I moved to Cayman, I came from the Italian Alps so didn't have any light clothing so had to buy all sorts of summer "rags". Conversely when I had to leave Cayman after Ivan to go to Toronto, I didn't have any winter clothes, well actually I didn't have any clothes - full stop.

Yes I agree there's not a lot you cant buy there now.
Old Jun 19th 2017, 10:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Orangepants
When I moved to Cayman, I came from the Italian Alps so didn't have any light clothing so had to buy all sorts of summer "rags". Conversely when I had to leave Cayman after Ivan to go to Toronto, I didn't have any winter clothes, well actually I didn't have any clothes - full stop.
Gosh, sorry to hear that you got wiped out by Ivan. That was a pretty rough experience. We survived comfortably enough; we were lucky in where we lived (South Church Street). Hope you've recouped all your losses since.

"So long, and thanks for all the teabags", eh?
Old Jun 20th 2017, 7:44 am

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Was that a caymanese eh ? They dont really translate to a screen easily and too much risk of error without intonation aye aye.

Anyway goodnight goodnight, its a bit damp here...
Old Jun 20th 2017, 3:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by uk_grenada
Was that a caymanese eh ? They dont really translate to a screen easily and too much risk of error without intonation aye aye.
Aahh, sorry. It's an obscure reference to a famous "Hitchhikers Guide" quote!
Old Jun 22nd 2017, 6:57 am
Just Joined

JMBC88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks

Jo
Hi Jo

I was wondering how you are organising your shipping? I looked at Cayman New Resident and contacted DHL for a qoute but never heard back from them. I have since heard that shipping is expensive so people try bring what they need by way of extra luggage on their flight. That's our plan at the moment for our move in August once flights are booked.
Old Jun 23rd 2017, 9:03 am
Just Joined

Hi JmBC88

I have two quotes going at the moment. One with Crown relocation and one with 1st move international. Although I'm not taking very much probs about 20 medium boxes maximum. Yes it is expensive but I am lucky in the fact that my new job will reimburse some of the costs. However I am also taking an extra suitcase as it takes 5-6 weeks! Don't fancy living out one suitcase for that long.
Jo

Originally Posted by JMBC88
Hi Jo

I was wondering how you are organising your shipping? I looked at Cayman New Resident and contacted DHL for a qoute but never heard back from them. I have since heard that shipping is expensive so people try bring what they need by way of extra luggage on their flight. That's our plan at the moment for our move in August once flights are booked.
Old Jun 23rd 2017, 9:11 am

What is the duty/tax position on your island, worth checking? It might be more expensive to import some stuff than buy locally - or you may need to only import whats really needed...
Old Jun 23rd 2017, 2:45 pm
Just Joined

I have and it's fine for the 1st 6 months.

Thanks though.
Originally Posted by uk_grenada
What is the duty/tax position on your island, worth checking? It might be more expensive to import some stuff than buy locally - or you may need to only import whats really needed...
Old Aug 8th 2017, 4:08 am
BE Forum Addict

So. You must be here by now, Jo. What did you bring, in the end?
Old Sep 16th 2017, 1:09 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
So. You must be here by now, Jo. What did you bring, in the end?
It's arriving today so we will find out!! Really can't remember what I packed! Probable a load of rubbish!!