Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Cayman Islands
Reload this Page >

Looking to move - Advice needed!

Looking to move - Advice needed!

Old Nov 24th 2013, 3:42 pm
Just Joined

TMills is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Looking to move - Advice needed!

Hi there,

I'm a recently qualified chartered accountant (ACA) and am looking to make the move to Cayman. What is slightly worrying me is two things though:

Firstly, my girlfriend currently works as an administrator in a small local insurance firm. I worry that she may not be able to get a job as she doesn't hold a degree/have a specialized job that a Caymanian couldn't apply for. Is this a real issue or is there scope for her to get a job?

Secondly, I read an article in The Independent I think a few months ago which mentioned that the mood in Cayman had swung against those who weren't local - is this true?

Thanks
Old Nov 24th 2013, 4:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking to move - Advice needed!

If your girlfriend wants to work in hospitality then she could probably get a job - apply to the Ritz. Perhaps after working in F&B she may get the opportunity to make a move into the more admin type work there but yes without a degree she probably wont get entry level office work as Caymanians do apply for those types of jobs.
I left Cayman 3 years ago so not on the ground anymore although still visit a couple of times a year. There has been a movement, both politically and socially towards protection of the Caymanians and their jobs. Read the Cayman Compass online - immigration reform etc. A lot of Caymanians are out of work and this is blamed on expats taking their jobs. This type of feeling I believe always prevails in times of hardship.
Remember Gordon Brown in 2009 - the British jobs for British Workers speech!
Good luck - I lived there for about 14 years and loved it.
Old Nov 24th 2013, 6:29 pm
Just Joined

TMills is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Orangepants, that's really helpful and confirms what I thought would be the case.

We are looking to move next October, so have plenty of time to start prospective enquiries!

Thanks again.
Old Dec 5th 2013, 11:55 am
Just Joined

goingbacktotheislands is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

There are quite a few recruitment agencies on island, and whilst they do not pay as well as getting a job with a firm directly they are a good way in.

As for the attitude against locals, there has always been that kind of attitude, at least going back to 1999 when I first went to Cayman, but you can't really blame them for wanting to protect their jobs can you.

I think your gf would get a job - if not in admin then in hospitality, a lot of Caymanians do not want to do "service" type jobs such as working in a bar or restaurant, there is also the fact that lots of expats have left recently due to changes in the immigration law so there are probably more jobs than usual on offer.

Hope that helps.
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 2:14 pm
Banned

mograhaff123 is an unknown quantity at this point

We have English bulldog puppies to ship to the Island,Please contact us via email for details
Old May 5th 2014, 11:46 am
Just Joined

RupertandSara is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello there, myself and my girlfriend are looking to do a season in the Cayman, October onwards for around 6 months. i wonder if anyone can help answer a few questions.

I am English and she is Spanish so i presume we can both work there?
Can we travel there and find jobs(in hospitality for the high season) and apply for a work permit there? Or do we need a job offer before arriving?

If we have to find jobs, does any one have any contacts we could possibly be forwarded onto!

Many thanks