Journey Times

Old May 7th 2017, 7:45 am
Forum Regular

TandD2017 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Journey Times

Hi. I am moving over soon and trying to get a feel for the best areas to live. I prefer a quieter area so ruling out SMB for now. What kind of journey time in the morning is Bodden Town to George Town? I have been advised I may be a bit far out if I lived In Bodden?

Also are there any 'You definitely don't want to live there matey' areas?

cheers
Old May 7th 2017, 10:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Journey Times

Originally Posted by TandD2017
What kind of journey time in the morning is Bodden Town to George Town? I have been advised I may be a bit far out if I lived In Bodden?
It depends on what time you want to get to your place of work. The "rush hour" is from about 7.30 till 9.00: during that period a car journey might take somewhere around 90 minutes, I'm told, unless there's been an accident on the road; outside that time, 30 minutes would be normal. Also of course it depends where in GT you'd be working.

Have you checked out all the other posts in this Cayman section? And have you read the online "Cayman Resident" magazine?
Old May 8th 2017, 5:14 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the info Gordon. Useful advice as I imagined it was a short distance and therefore relatively easy to get about. Yes we have done a lot of research online, read Cayman resident & even trying to follow the election there (as well as ours & the French). Just unsure where is best to be based until we get there but finding your posts useful so thanks again & please keep it up.
Old May 8th 2017, 6:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

What part of GT will you be working in, and what will your hours be? And I should also ask, are you up for riding a scooter or bike to work? My son lives in West Bay, and his travelling time on a scooter is half as long as in a car, in the rush hours.
Old May 8th 2017, 6:44 pm
Forum Regular

I will be teaching up Walkers Rd. I ride a motorbike here so happy to scoot so long as the weather is (usually) OK i.e. no regular deluges at rush hour? Work times are 7.30 to 17.00 most days I think. However the Mrs will need to drive when we find her a job. We have looked at West bay, is that a similar journey time? I take it the traffic is heavy due to infrastructure and population expansion not marrying up?
Old May 8th 2017, 7:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I will be teaching up Walkers Rd. I ride a motorbike here so happy to scoot so long as the weather is (usually) OK i.e. no regular deluges at rush hour? Work times are 7.30 to 17.00 most days I think. However the Mrs will need to drive when we find her a job. We have looked at West bay, is that a similar journey time?
Starting work at 7.30, you'll be able to miss all the traffic, and get down to school through town in 20 minutes or so; but finishing at 5.00 it will be heavier traffic, and slower travelling. There are good parts of WB and bad parts. I don't know it well. My son and his girlfriend live in one of the good parts, but both their bikes were stolen from outside their house after midnight a couple of weeks ago. So even the good parts aren't all that marvellous! We live in the triangle South Church Street - Walkers Road - town, mainly because it's convenient to everywhere we need to go, pretty much.

There's usually plenty to rent, but not always. Your school will probably have a list of places for you to check out when you arrive.
Old May 8th 2017, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

Cheers for the advice. Let's hope there is somewhere suitable when I get there
Old May 8th 2017, 8:00 pm
Forum Regular

ABCR is an unknown quantity at this point

Like Gordon said you will miss the traffic if you leave early. I have friends who also work on Walkers and live in Prospect (a little closer than Bodden Town), and they have to leave before 7 to avoid the traffic going into George Town. Schools get busy around 7:15 to the point where the traffic barely moves down there!
Old May 8th 2017, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

Yeah - Seems early starts are the order of the day then like I have to here - thanks
Old May 8th 2017, 8:14 pm
Forum Regular

ABCR is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah - Seems early starts are the order of the day then like I have to here - thanks
What are you teaching over here? I'm a teacher too, so feel free to drop me a PM if you a fancy a quick pint in the sunshine when you arrive!
Old May 8th 2017, 8:46 pm
Forum Regular

Will do, cheers