St. Lucia Vs Barbados

Old Feb 19th 2008, 11:56 am
Forum Regular

3aces is an unknown quantity at this point
Default St. Lucia Vs Barbados

I've got a dilemma. My wife and I wish to emigrate in a couple of years to to the Caribbean but before doing so wish a visit a few times. We kind of narrowed it down to Barbados and St. Lucia.

Since it would be expensive and time consuming visiting both places extensively I was wondering what the pros and cons are of each island.

By the way, we have one child of school age, both run Internet businesses which means we can work remotely and don't really need a local income.

Worth pointing out that I have walking difficulties so general accessibility is an issue.
Old Feb 19th 2008, 4:50 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: St. Lucia Vs Barbados

Update......we're decided to visit St Lucia as well. Can anyone recommend a good part to visit?
Old Feb 20th 2008, 11:41 am

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point

how old is your child?

The only international school (if thats what you want to send them to) at secondary level is in Rodney Bay. So far the school has grown tremendously from its beginning just a couple of years ago and at least 3 pupils from here are moving there next year. I've heard and seen very good things about it.

If your child is primary level you have a couple more choices again if you are limiting to private education. BonneTerre Primary is in Bonne Terre in Gros Islet, Tapion school is by Tapion hospital just on the south side of Castries. We have our kids listed for Tapion once we get there.

Traffic is a pain on the Gros Islet / Castries road. Terrible rush hour traffic that extends over the rush hour times easily. its no fun. so see where your child will be schooled and maybe relocate according to that. e.g. If he's going to Tapion I wouldnt live in Rodney Bay and want that school run every day!

I've sent you a PM anyway.

Islandgirl, PGtips etc etc can help you more too.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 1:09 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Islandmon - my daughter is 5..........will probably be around 6 by the time we relocate (assuming we can find someone we both like........lol). Yes, she will be going private.

Old Feb 21st 2008, 4:57 pm
Forum Regular

Islander Girl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 3aces
Thanks Islandmon - my daughter is 5..........will probably be around 6 by the time we relocate (assuming we can find someone we both like........lol). Yes, she will be going private.

Hello 3aces,
I haven't got kids so can only comment on what people have told me about the schools, which is all positive, especially the international school.
The traffic to Castries can be a bore sometimes but nothing like the traffic issues in the UK. I have been here just 8 months now and love it. The island is beautiful and the lifestyle is to fantastic. I prefer it to Barbados but everyone is different so I would suggest that you have a taste of both to decide.
If and when you visit, let me know and I can give you some tips.
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 7:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Islander Girl
Hello 3aces,
I haven't got kids so can only comment on what people have told me about the schools, which is all positive, especially the international school.
The traffic to Castries can be a bore sometimes but nothing like the traffic issues in the UK. I have been here just 8 months now and love it. The island is beautiful and the lifestyle is to fantastic. I prefer it to Barbados but everyone is different so I would suggest that you have a taste of both to decide.
If and when you visit, let me know and I can give you some tips.

Thanks Islander Girl. I might take you up on that. We're off to Barbados in a few weeks and hope to visit St.Lucia in May.......then depending on where we like most, we plan to visit again over the summer.

If the people out there are half as nice as some of the people on this forum I reckon we will have a great time