Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean
Reload this Page >

Bermuda - which parish to live in?

Bermuda - which parish to live in?

Old Jun 10th 2014, 6:21 pm
Just Joined

Rach_smith2006 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bermuda - which parish to live in?

Hi

I am new to the site, I am moving to bermuda in August and have started to try to research each of the parishes to decide where to live!

I will be working at a school in Hamilton and will be cycling to work. I already know I will live on the east end of the island as I have read that commuter traffic from the west is terrible!

What are the +\- of each parish? I have been doing my best to find out about each one but have not found any REALLY useful info.

I am 28, female, keen runner/cyclist/swimmer. I like to go out occasionally but it's not super important that it is really close by. I want to feel safe, and have a small amount of outside space, a pool would be nice but not necessary!

I'm open to the idea of a house share but also happy to live alone.

Any help would be super!

Thank you

Rachael
Old Jun 10th 2014, 6:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bermuda - which parish to live in?

Originally Posted by Rach_smith2006
Hi

I am new to the site, I am moving to bermuda in August and have started to try to research each of the parishes to decide where to live!

I will be working at a school in Hamilton and will be cycling to work. I already know I will live on the east end of the island as I have read that commuter traffic from the west is terrible!

What are the +\- of each parish? I have been doing my best to find out about each one but have not found any REALLY useful info.

I am 28, female, keen runner/cyclist/swimmer. I like to go out occasionally but it's not super important that it is really close by. I want to feel safe, and have a small amount of outside space, a pool would be nice but not necessary!

I'm open to the idea of a house share but also happy to live alone.

Any help would be super!

Thank you

Rachael
Commuting from the West End is tough going because of the bottleneck at the Paget traffic lights and slow traffic on Harbour Road.

Far better to indeed head in from the eastern parishes such as Devonshire, Smiths and Hamilton (Parish), all of which have good residential areas.

Harrington Sound is good for cycling around and there are lovely swimming beaches such as John Smiths and Shelly Bay.

IMHO, St George is too much of a hike to cycle to work in Hamilton and though it is lovely, it is more a place to hang out. Tobacco Bay is good for swimming though, as is Achilles Bay.

There are beautiful open spaces in Smiths, such as St Mark's Hill/McGalls Bay and Spittal Pond, the latter good for running/walking. Daytime bus service from Smiths to Hamilton is good if the weather is inclement and Harrington Hundreds Grocery is excellent. Smiths also gives access to cycling into the Mid Ocean Club area. Flatts has a good restaurant at hand when/if needed, backed-up by the Collector's Hill bunch. To my way of thinking Smiths has more of a rural feel than most other parishes. Some of it, particularly Knapton Hill, is expensive, as is much of Harrington Hundreds Road and Harrington Sound Road, but if you are lucky, you could gain access to a property with a pool there.

https://www.google.com/maps/@32.3157.../data=!3m1!1e3
Old Jun 15th 2014, 7:11 am
Just Joined

Rach_smith2006 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you so much PistolPete2. Super helpful!

I'm very excited about exploring the places you've suggested they sound like the places for me!

I will check out the link now and keep my eyes peeled for a bargain!
Old Jun 15th 2014, 11:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rach_smith2006
Thank you so much PistolPete2. Super helpful!

I'm very excited about exploring the places you've suggested they sound like the places for me!

I will check out the link now and keep my eyes peeled for a bargain!
Good Luck! I'm not sure that the name Bermuda and word Bargain are typically found in the same sentence.

This is a good link:

eMoo - Buy Sell Live

I found an ideal long-term rental from emoo.bm
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 2:53 pm
Just Joined

aratan is an unknown quantity at this point

Emoo is a good wesbite to start at, you can get a feel for prices and what is available. In August there should be quite a few places for rent that are on the market - the big accounting firms tend to bring a lot of folk onto the island in September, and one- and two-bedroom places can become somewhat scarce for the next couple of months.

All the parishes have good areas and bad areas in them. As has been pointed out by other posters, St George's (the parish, which includes the town of St George's) is "all the way" at one end of the island, and there is a long commute. Same goes for Sandy's, which is the parish at the other end of the island.

Although traffic is much worse from the west (Sandy's, Southampton, Warwick parishes), there are commuter ferries that run from those parishes which can allow the traffic on the roads to be avoided in the morning and evening.

Paget and Pembroke are the central parishes, and places to rent there can be scarce and/or overpriced.

East of town are Devonshire, Smiths and Hamilton parishes are the ones east of town. Confusingly (unlike St Geroge's), the city of Hamilton is NOT in Hamilton Parish. Hamilton Parish is shading in to the "too far to commute" zone (at least at the end nearest the airport).

It's really about the areas within each parish to avoid, rather than which parish to live in. If you need mroe information, let us know.
Old Jun 27th 2014, 5:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

The eastern parishes certainly do provide the easier commute, but that is for cars. I wouldn't have thought it necessary to restrict yourself on a bike or moped. It is pretty humid in Bermuda, if I were cycling to work, I wouldn't be venturing too far from Hamilton, whether it is east or west.

We were in Southampton, 8 years since we left now.