Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

One Year in Edmonton Alberta

One Year in Edmonton Alberta

Old Mar 24th 2011, 1:21 pm
Forum Regular

edmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: One Year in Edmonton Alberta

Reading this thread I think has finally cured me for wanting to try and live in Canada (Edmonton) I had a job offer there 4 years ago which I didn't take. Now the only thing I'm stuck with forever is my silly BE username ...
Old Mar 25th 2011, 4:48 am
Forum Regular

JBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by edmontron
Reading this thread I think has finally cured me for wanting to try and live in Canada (Edmonton) I had a job offer there 4 years ago which I didn't take. Now the only thing I'm stuck with forever is my silly BE username ...
Must admit, this thread has not inspired me to move. Still will though
Old Mar 25th 2011, 8:26 pm
Just Joined

from_london is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JBJ14
All the best of luck!
Old Mar 26th 2011, 4:26 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ali R
WOW! I am gobsmacked!

So I'm guessing, (as a complete newbie to this forum), Edmonton is a no-no when considering where to live in Canada?!!!!!!
Originally Posted by edmontron
This is what makes this forum so depressing at times. I don't know Edmonton, but I have lived around Vancouver for 12 years and the complete and utter crap that gets posted about the city on here is astonishing.

Edmonton may, or may not, be the city for you. Canada may, or may not, be the country for you. However, the only way you will know is to try it. The last thing you should do is to take any notice of a bunch of self-appointed, self-important, malcontent, misfit, whinging Brits.
Old Mar 27th 2011, 2:55 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JonboyE
This is what makes this forum so depressing at times. I don't know Edmonton, but I have lived around Vancouver for 12 years and the complete and utter crap that gets posted about the city on here is astonishing.

Edmonton may, or may not, be the city for you. Canada may, or may not, be the country for you. However, the only way you will know is to try it. The last thing you should do is to take any notice of a bunch of self-appointed, self-important, malcontent, misfit, whinging Brits.
Hey, maybe you are right. So, why don't you come and experience living in Edmonton and then you could provide better insights to people?

Or, is Vancouver comfy enough that you would not try to live in Edmonton?
Old Mar 28th 2011, 9:35 am
Forum Regular

JBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to all

Canada may, or may not, be the country for you. However, the only way you will know is to try it.
Good point ..... this is what I am hanging on to after getting put off a bit. If it doesn't work out, then we'll move .... but if we don't try, we will always wonder!
Old Mar 28th 2011, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

edmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of light

Yes this forum is full of subjective observations ... that's what makes it personal and interesting. I certainly don't expect people to change their plans because of what I'm writing on BE nor should they. I would have moved to Edmonton or Saskatoon myself under different circumstances. In fact since my initial interest/ visit to Canada, despite living in Australia, I have had a soft spot for the prairie provinces and it is only now that I realize that for me the opportunity to move to Canada has passed.
Old Mar 28th 2011, 1:57 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by from_london
However, as I said before, when you have a basket full of rotten apples, you will end up becoming one, even though you are a good one...

Good luck to people who stay though . The future will tell.
only if you are feeble minded.

i have lived in places like Lewisham so Edmonton?..piece of cake...yes its got its share of rednecks and numpties..but living out west its par for the course its easy to rise above it.

There are things i dont like about Edmonton but things i do..its just like any big city. I can think of worse places to live believe me.
Old May 16th 2011, 2:05 pm
Just Joined

L1ttle Britain is an unknown quantity at this point

We've been living here for just over 7 years now and we have really tried to call this place home. Sadly it just doesnt feel right for us so we are on the move in the next year or so.
We were aware the winter was long, until we experienced it we thought we could adjust. We were very much outdoor people but for us it puts a whole know dimension on getting out there - even for a 30 minute walk.
The one thing I didnt research and that was the mosquito situation - literally once the snow has thawed and we've start enjoying the outside we get bitten. We have a propane machine that takes care of an acre, we wear the sprays yet we get bitten at least once a day - my husband had 14 bites last saturday while cutting the lawn. My toddler appears to be having a reaction to these bites so now its time to go and test the water in warmer climes.

Originally Posted by Cassie 10000
I know what your saying as I wouldn't call Edmonton quiet either.

On another point living here forever isn't for me either, for the next five years it suits us.
Old May 16th 2011, 2:54 pm
Meh

GavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by L1ttle Britain
We've been living here for just over 7 years now and we have really tried to call this place home. Sadly it just doesnt feel right for us so we are on the move in the next year or so.
We were aware the winter was long, until we experienced it we thought we could adjust. We were very much outdoor people but for us it puts a whole know dimension on getting out there - even for a 30 minute walk.
The one thing I didnt research and that was the mosquito situation - literally once the snow has thawed and we've start enjoying the outside we get bitten. We have a propane machine that takes care of an acre, we wear the sprays yet we get bitten at least once a day - my husband had 14 bites last saturday while cutting the lawn. My toddler appears to be having a reaction to these bites so now its time to go and test the water in warmer climes.
You think they're bad here, try going out East
Old May 21st 2011, 2:22 am
Just Joined

We are already back in England! Home sweet home!

All the best to you guys! I will check postings once in a while to check how things are going there!
Old May 24th 2011, 11:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

Blame the treehuggers for the fact that Canada does not seem to spray to get rid of them!
Old May 25th 2011, 5:40 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Good point ..... this is what I am hanging on to after getting put off a bit. If it doesn't work out, then we'll move .... but if we don't try, we will always wonder!
I wholly agree with JonboyE. One thing to think about however is the following quote works both ways.

"but if we don't try, we will always wonder!"

You never know unless you try. Whether that's try to make a better life where you are currently, or where you believe you want to be........