Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Where to buy a house in Moncton, NB

Where to buy a house in Moncton, NB

Old Apr 8th 2008, 12:48 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to buy a house in Moncton, NB

Originally Posted by steve of 5-0
Hi, I have been absent from this forum for a while.
Hi to pennyhp, we have yet to meet.
When are you firing up the bbq.

For those thinking of buying in Moncton.
A very nice area is off Mountain Road opposite Barnabys Furniture.
Various parts Riverview are excellent aswell.
Somewhere decent will cost over $100,000 now.

Jobs galore exist in Moncton & Riverview.
This area is the Call-Centre capital of the Maritimes.
Any person from the UK can get a job in a any centre.
Some are good, some are not so good.
People from the UK are made very welcome here by the English population, the French too, except the elderly French, who refuse to talk to you in English, they are able to, they just do not want to, their priviledge of course, just let them get on with it.

The irony is that people who are bi-lingual in call-centres, would rather deal with English customers that call in!!!???

The only down-side to Moncton is, that if you only speak English you can get a job, but if you want a career, you will need to be bi-lingual generally.
Nice to see you back Steve.
Old Apr 8th 2008, 9:47 pm
Just Joined

Laowai79 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Except for the house age aspect, that's pretty much all of Moncton.

I can't speak for Riverview or Dieppe but near Mountain Rd fits your wants.

Specifically, look at Mapquest for University Ave/Mountain Rd. The area to look at is between Mountain Rd and Wheeler Blvd from University and Westwards past Connaught as far as Noel Street. Beyond Noel, the housing stock can become a bit tatty, although there is still plenty of good stuff there.

Within the area I described are two hospitals and a couple of small schools for small kids (so no teens hanging around). Consequently the streets here are plowed very efficiently and quickly after snowfalls.

Plenty of doctors and dentists around, two excellent (large) drug stores and the wonderful Rinzlers for meat, fruit and veg and more.

Champlain Mall and Atlantic Superstore are effectively just beyond one end of Mountain Rd while 10-15 minutes drive from there you'll be at the strip Malls and big stores at the other end where Wheeler Blvd crosses.

If you're car is off the road, there are a half dozen buses every hour travelling between the Strip Mall Stores and Champlain Mall.

Going out of town a bit further, but still close to Mountain Rd is still good, but the further you go the less likely you'll be on main services.

I can recommend Phil Albert of Exit as a realtor. He gave recommendations of where to avoid, drew things to our attention that we missed or didn't know about. We had no transport so he took us to all the houses on our list when we visited Moncton to look at somewhere to buy. He definitely went the extra mile for us.
Hi,

I grew up in Hillsborough (20 minutes from Moncton) and Riverview (just across the River). I'd have to say I disagree with the Mountain Rd. recommendation. My friends and I all think Mountain Rd. and its inhabitants are 'sketchy'. I think most areas of Riverview are still pretty decent, quiet and safe. A friend of mine just bought a house in Evergreen Park, in Moncton, which is a nice area. However, the school is completely overcrowded (if you have kids). Also, the school seems to have the reputation as being an 'amazing school'. I'm not sure why. My friend teaches there and I've taught there as a substitute teacher. It's a fine school, but no better than the rest. Perhaps it's because it's the newest building in the district. So, it looks 'pretty'. However, the overcrowding would make me think twice about sending my child there. Anyway, sorry to go off on a tangent....

I also like the Bessborough, Mount Royal area for some reason. It just seems very 'peaceful' there. The lots also seem bigger even though the houses are older. My pet peeve about developers here is that, even though we have so many trees around, they clear cut everything when they put up a new subdivision. The cookie cutter neighbourhoods look so bare and 'blah'.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 12:51 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Laowai79
Hi,

I grew up in Hillsborough (20 minutes from Moncton) and Riverview (just across the River). I'd have to say I disagree with the Mountain Rd. recommendation. My friends and I all think Mountain Rd. and its inhabitants are 'sketchy'. I think most areas of Riverview are still pretty decent, quiet and safe. A friend of mine just bought a house in Evergreen Park, in Moncton, which is a nice area. However, the school is completely overcrowded (if you have kids). Also, the school seems to have the reputation as being an 'amazing school'. I'm not sure why. My friend teaches there and I've taught there as a substitute teacher. It's a fine school, but no better than the rest. Perhaps it's because it's the newest building in the district. So, it looks 'pretty'. However, the overcrowding would make me think twice about sending my child there. Anyway, sorry to go off on a tangent....

I also like the Bessborough, Mount Royal area for some reason. It just seems very 'peaceful' there. The lots also seem bigger even though the houses are older. My pet peeve about developers here is that, even though we have so many trees around, they clear cut everything when they put up a new subdivision. The cookie cutter neighbourhoods look so bare and 'blah'.
Agree with most of that actually.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 2:34 am
BE Forum Addict

pennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve of 5-0
Hi, I have been absent from this forum for a while.
Hi to pennyhp, we have yet to meet.
When are you firing up the bbq.

For those thinking of buying in Moncton.
A very nice area is off Mountain Road opposite Barnabys Furniture.
Various parts Riverview are excellent aswell.
Somewhere decent will cost over $100,000 now.

Jobs galore exist in Moncton & Riverview.
This area is the Call-Centre capital of the Maritimes.
Any person from the UK can get a job in a any centre.
Some are good, some are not so good.
People from the UK are made very welcome here by the English population, the French too, except the elderly French, who refuse to talk to you in English, they are able to, they just do not want to, their priviledge of course, just let them get on with it.

The irony is that people who are bi-lingual in call-centres, would rather deal with English customers that call in!!!???

The only down-side to Moncton is, that if you only speak English you can get a job, but if you want a career, you will need to be bi-lingual generally.
Hi Steve

Good to have you back.

Havn't yet invested in a BBQ there are just too many things to buy for the farm first - like a tractor ............. I wish

you are more than welcome to pop in for a cuppa when you are down our way though.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 2:40 am
BE Forum Addict

pennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

An albert County boy

We are only honourary Albert county folk, having moved here from "away" almost a year ago.

We love the area and feel very at home here already.

We also love the Albert County pace of life.

Hong Kong is worlds away and not just in distance eh!
Old Apr 9th 2008, 3:37 am
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

If any of you get on the trans-canada to Fredericton look me up
Old Apr 10th 2008, 12:24 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

My friends and I all think Mountain Rd. and its inhabitants are 'sketchy'.
I live in the area I described. I'm very happy here, so's the family. It's crime free, respectable, peaceful and has access to everything one could want.

I might take offence at the all embracing term of 'sketchy'....if I knew what it meant.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 1:54 am
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

I live in the area I described. I'm very happy here, so's the family. It's crime free, respectable, peaceful and has access to everything one could want.

I might take offence at the all embracing term of 'sketchy'....if I knew what it meant.
Definition of Sketchy:
giving only major points; lacking completeness; "a sketchy account"; "details of the plan remain sketchy"
Old Apr 10th 2008, 2:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Dave+Jules
Definition of Sketchy:
giving only major points; lacking completeness; "a sketchy account"; "details of the plan remain sketchy"
Or decidedly dodgy.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 2:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Ontheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud of

What are the taxes etc like compared to NS across the border? I bought a trailer in Moncton and they wouldn't let me pull it to NS so I took it back.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 2:20 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dave+Jules
Definition of Sketchy:
Ah, well I'm familiar with that usage. I just couldn't see how it applied to an entire neighbourhood....although incomplete could have meant "not a full shilling" but not to a whole neighbourhood.
Originally Posted by pennyhp
Or decidedly dodgy.
Well there are a couple of premises on Mountain Road that could be described that way, but there wouldn't be residents there - although maybe one or two might be accused of spending too much time there.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 2:22 am
Just Joined

Laowai79 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by pennyhp
An albert County boy

We are only honourary Albert county folk, having moved here from "away" almost a year ago.

We love the area and feel very at home here already.

We also love the Albert County pace of life.

Hong Kong is worlds away and not just in distance eh!
Hi,

I also enjoy the pace of life...'sometimes'. I should change my location, as I no longer live in Hong Kong. I've been back in NB for 8 months now. It's taking a while for me to get re-adjusted. I miss all of the coffee houses in HK, the availability of shops like H&M, Zara, Club Monaco, etc. The international crowd I hung around with....

I will always love Hong Kong but I just couldn't see myself living there permanently. So, here I am.

Penny...I checked out your pics and saw your house. I've driven by it so many times over the years! Always liked the sun porch...
Old Apr 10th 2008, 2:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Ah, well I'm familiar with that usage. I just couldn't see how it applied to an entire neighbourhood....although incomplete could have meant "not a full shilling" but not to a whole neighbourhood.

Well there are a couple of premises on Mountain Road that could be described that way, but there wouldn't be residents there - although maybe one or two might be accused of spending too much time there.
We have just renovated a duplex round the corner from "Miss be haven" a very "sketchy" night spot for the err not so discerning.
It has now closed down, but there are few more along Mountain road.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 2:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi,

I also enjoy the pace of life...'sometimes'. I should change my location, as I no longer live in Hong Kong. I've been back in NB for 8 months now. It's taking a while for me to get re-adjusted. I miss all of the coffee houses in HK, the availability of shops like H&M, Zara, Club Monaco, etc. The international crowd I hung around with....

I will always love Hong Kong but I just couldn't see myself living there permanently. So, here I am.

Penny...I checked out your pics and saw your house. I've driven by it so many times over the years! Always liked the sun porch...

That sun porch is quite famous in these parts.

And of course the Niagara road or should that be the Nigarry road.
Old May 18th 2008, 8:58 am
Forum Regular

garvard will become famous soon enough

Can anyone advise me the best appartment/house (furnished) for stay for first 2-4 weeks after landing. I think this period is enough to find long term rental appartment or to buy house.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.