Reload this Page >

UK Sport coverage

UK Sport coverage

Old Nov 28th 2005, 1:35 pm
Just Joined

GlosMaple is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK Sport coverage

Originally Posted by Tiggy
Hi all, as a life long Leicester tigers fan I was woundering if there was any television coverage of Rugby Union Football in Canada. or if I will need to adopt another sport when we move there. I know to the ladies this is a minor point but to us blokes it's a matter of life or death
Hi Tiggy,
Life long Gloucester RFC fan here, Unfortunately rugby union or rugby league coverage is very scant in Canada.......My experiences in the 10 years I have been out here are........
No English Premiership league rugby at all.
Occasional coverage of six nations games (some on the french channels) Super 10 or 12 coverage on a weekly basis can't vouch for its age
Occasional Rugby League coverage from Australia/NZ
There is a Rugby Magazine style program one per week on Fox SW
Occasional coverage of internationals Canada or USA v touring teams
Obviously Rugby World Cup coverage

PS Haven't mentioned anything pay per view because that is expensive!!!!

Thats the rugby lowdown from my perspective.

But having said all that I don't really miss it, like others have said other sports fill the void.........Hockey .......great sport especially my "Leafs" plus basketball and baseball.
Cheers
Old Nov 28th 2005, 9:56 pm
Just Joined

calicardiff is an unknown quantity at this point

Try www.mediazone.com it's about US$100 or so (they have various offers) for a year's subscription to download matches to your Windows PC (live streaming too).

So far this year I've watched the Lions in NZ, Tri Nations and a lot of the autumn internationals (nice to see Wales actually win something). It's not the greatest quality but it's about the only option right now - best bit is being able to watch when u want like on the morning train ride or a quiet moment in the office

Apart from that, if you're heading to Toronto then Scallywags (Yonge & St. Clair) is really the only pub left that still shows rugby (from Setanta) - get there early for the 6 Nations though...
Old Nov 28th 2005, 9:59 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by calicardiff
Try www.mediazone.com it's about US$100 or so (they have various offers) for a year's subscription to download matches to your Windows PC (live streaming too).

So far this year I've watched the Lions in NZ, Tri Nations and a lot of the autumn internationals (nice to see Wales actually win something). It's not the greatest quality but it's about the only option right now - best bit is being able to watch when u want like on the morning train ride or a quiet moment in the office

Apart from that, if you're heading to Toronto then Scallywags (Yonge & St. Clair) is really the only pub left that still shows rugby (from Setanta) - get there early for the 6 Nations though...
O'Farrells on Kingston Rd has the 6 nations, as does Kitty O'Shea's on Queen. I expect there are more but those are ones I can walk to.
Old Nov 29th 2005, 12:33 pm
Just Joined

calicardiff is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
O'Farrells on Kingston Rd has the 6 nations, as does Kitty O'Shea's on Queen. I expect there are more but those are ones I can walk to.
Thanks I'll try and remember that as I ended up watching this year's Wales-Ireland GS decider outside Scallywags peering in through the front window along with 20 odd others (they'd locked the doors 1/2 hour before kick-off!) - had to celebrate with a coffee to ward off the frostbite
Old Nov 29th 2005, 3:32 pm
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute

Guys and Gals if your missing your rugby fix get out and start coaching it.

Schools and community clubs are looking for players and coaches perhaps one day it'll be bigger than the NFL.

start here www.rugbycanada.ca and work down to your local level.

PS. fox sports world had these games on T.V during 2005

Rugby on Fox 2005
Date Competition Home Visitor Kickoff (ET)
Aug. 2 Tri Nations South Africa Australia 2 a.m.
Aug. 9 Tri Nations South Africa New Zealand 2 a.m.
Aug. 16 Tri Nations Australia New Zealand 2 a.m.
Aug. 23 Tri Nations Australia South Africa 2 a.m.
Aug. 30 Tri Nations New Zealand South Africa 2 a.m.
Sep. 6 Tri Nations New Zealand Australia 2 a.m.
Sep. 13 NPC Auckland Waikato 2 a.m.
Sep. 20 NPC/RS Canterbury Waikato 2 a.m.
Sep. 27 NPC/RS Canterbury Wellington 2 a.m.
Oct. 4 NPC North Habour Taranaki 2 a.m.
Oct. 11 NPC/RS Canterbury Auckland 2 a.m.
Oct. 18 NPC Semifinal Canterbury Otago 2 a.m.
Oct. 25 NPC Final Auckland Otago 2 a.m.
Dec. 13 - Bermuda Classic 11 p.m.

And for some CSTV shows College rugby

http://www.cstv.com/sports/c-rugby/cs-c-rugby-body.html
Old Nov 29th 2005, 9:04 pm
Forum Regular

Wookie Wayne is a jewel in the roughWookie Wayne is a jewel in the roughWookie Wayne is a jewel in the roughWookie Wayne is a jewel in the rough

Hi all, as a life long Leicester tigers fan I was woundering if there was any television coverage of Rugby Union Football in Canada. or if I will need to adopt another sport when we move there. I know to the ladies this is a minor point but to us blokes it's a matter of life or death
As I Tigers fan myself I can understand your concerns. Think you'll need to find a rugby pub yourself and drink down there. I used to live with a lad from Amar, who spent his Saturday mornings down at the Irish Pubs watching Gaelic football.

Good luck!

Wayne
Old Nov 30th 2005, 4:16 am
Forum Regular

philcUK is an unknown quantity at this point

You get some Rugby Union on Foxsports World i.e. one hour a week, but it is mainly focused on the Aussie season. There is reasonable coverage when the Rugby World Cup comes around, but that is it. Football (Soccer to the Canadians) though is a different matter, we currently have three live Saturday games, live Sunday games and many european championship games.

Check out www.sportsnet.ca or www.tsn.ca for schedules.