British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   UK Sport coverage (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/uk-sport-coverage-339648/)

Tiggy Nov 26th 2005 7:05 pm

UK Sport coverage

Hi all, as a life long Leicester tigers fan I was woundering if there was any television coverage of Rugby Union Football in Canada. :confused: or if I will need to adopt another sport when we move there. I know to the ladies this is a minor point but to us blokes it's a matter of life or death :D

Steve_P Nov 26th 2005 7:31 pm

Re: UK Sport coverage

Originally Posted by Tiggy
Hi all, as a life long Leicester tigers fan I was woundering if there was any television coverage of Rugby Union Football in Canada. :confused: or if I will need to adopt another sport when we move there. I know to the ladies this is a minor point but to us blokes it's a matter of life or death :D

Very little if any Rugby coverage in Canada.

You would be surprised to know there is life after Rugby or even Football.

Other sports fill the void. Canadian Football is better than NFL (my opinion only), and hockey is way better than either (once again my opinion only). :D

Some even learn to like Baseball and Basketball too. :rolleyes:

Cheers
Steve

Biiiiink Nov 26th 2005 9:09 pm

I'm sure I've seen rugby whilst flicking up the channels on Fox World Sports Canada... didn't pay enough attention to tell you *what* though! And if you're desperate, there seems like a decent selection to watch online here via subscription --> http://www.mediazone.com/channel/rugby/jsp/index.jsp

scrubbedexpat074 Nov 27th 2005 3:10 am

Originally Posted by Tiggy

France vs South Africa was on today and I've seen 6 nations on Fox once. No league rugby though I don't think.

hot wasabi peas Nov 27th 2005 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by Hangman
and hockey is way better than either (once again my opinion only). :D

No Steve, it's not just an opinion, it's a fact! :D

us3andthedog Nov 27th 2005 7:50 pm

Talking of sport........................We took our Son (age 8) to a Ice Hockey match at Telford a few weeks ago just so he can see the national sport in Canada, and he,s hooked we found NASN channel 416 on sky the next day and it shows all the NHL match,sfrom the weekend. He,s turned into a Calgary Flames fan. His first love will always be football playing for his youth team and Manchester United though.

hot wasabi peas Nov 27th 2005 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by us3andthedog
Talking of sport........................We took our Son (age 8) to a Ice Hockey match at Telford a few weeks ago just so he can see the national sport in Canada, and he,s hooked we found NASN channel 416 on sky the next day and it shows all the NHL match,sfrom the weekend. He,s turned into a Calgary Flames fan.

My deepest of sympathies... though it could have been worse; he turned into a Leaves fan. :scared: :D

DavidL Nov 27th 2005 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
My deepest of sympathies... though it could have been worse; he turned into a Leaves fan. :scared: :D

hey whats up with been a "LEAFS" fan........didn't know they were called Toronto Maples Leaves.......*S*..........

hot wasabi peas Nov 27th 2005 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by DavidL
hey whats up with been a "LEAFS" fan........didn't know they were called Toronto Maples Leaves.......*S*..........

I'm bound by participation in alt.sports.hockey.nhl.vanc-canucks and other ritualistic Vancouver Canuck fan activity to use 'Leaves' and not 'Leafs'. Actually I neglected to insult Tie Domi while mentioning the Leaves and so will be whipped. :D

Steve_P Nov 27th 2005 9:17 pm

I'm bound by participation in alt.sports.hockey.nhl.vanc-canucks and other ritualistic Vancouver Canuck fan activity to use 'Leaves' and not 'Leafs'. Actually I neglected to insult Tie Domi while mentioning the Leaves and so will be whipped. :D

Now you see in our house we know Toronto as the "Make Me Laughs" :D:D

And with all due respect to HWP Vancouver are known as the "Cannots" :rolleyes:

Tangram Nov 28th 2005 7:58 am

No Steve, it's not just an opinion, it's a fact! :D

Wish I could take that karma back for your teeth now ;)

Can't imagine anyone thinking Basketball was better than RU.....never mind ice hockey :D

hot wasabi peas Nov 28th 2005 9:11 am

Originally Posted by Hangman
And with all due respect to HWP Vancouver are known as the "Cannots" :rolleyes:

Yeah... tell me about it! :o :mad: :(

:D

hot wasabi peas Nov 28th 2005 9:35 am

Originally Posted by Tangram

Can't imagine anyone thinking Basketball was better than RU.....never mind ice hockey :D

Well... na, na, na-na, na! :p :D

I suspect I'd like rugby union more than basketball only because I like a lot of blood and gore in sports :) but hockey is perfection: speed, flow, creative play, violence and aggression, humour, it's on ice, vulcanized pucks (whatever vulcanized is! but hey, it sounds cool!), etc...

Just look at this recent gem of a penalty shot that Iginla posted in the hockey thread in the Locker Room forum:

http://www.badongo.com/vid.php?file=...ik.mpg&s=black

CalgaryBlade Nov 28th 2005 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by Tangram

If you don't like hockey, you'll be watching quite a lot of cr*p TV :)

Having seen both, I like hockey way better. But then again I'm not from Bath.

Basketball is just one big shoe advertisement.

Tangram Nov 28th 2005 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by CalgaryBlade
If you don't like hockey, you'll be watching quite a lot of cr*p TV :)

Having seen both, I like hockey way better. But then again I'm not from Bath.

Basketball is just one big shoe advertisement.

LOL I like the last part. We are more film watchers when it comes to nights in in front of the TV, not sports. When in a bar, I don't mind what sport is playing on the TV.