Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

The truth about winter in Canada.

The truth about winter in Canada.

Old Mar 22nd 2014, 9:08 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The truth about winter in Canada.

Originally Posted by MillieF
I like the word 'effing' Shirtback....makes a nice sort of sound....we have an 'effing' snowstorm now, got stuck in a total whiteout on the Trans Canada this afternoon, minus effing 20 tomorrow night and another 15 cms of effing snow on Wednesday. I'm not an 'effing' sort of woman...but I'm quickly becoming one.
Its quite drizzly here.
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 9:38 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

20 minutes digging to get out to the street. This is becoming quite inconvenient.
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 9:48 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Yes Novo,the birds retuned for spring...their little internal clocks told them to do so...and now their little bodies litter the place, lots of little dead bodies in my back frozen garden....they came home too soon.
What kind of birds? Seems a bit odd, they don't usually fly back in March.
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 9:57 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gozitanguygoinghome99xx
Finally someone understands that just cos I was born and bred here doesn't mean I have to "love" or at least "tolerate" winter. Or be "used to it." It affects everyone, born and bred or not.
As I said a bit further back, I notice that a lot of people in Canada have mental coping mechanisms to get through winter. Lots of stories about how it isn't as bad as the winter of year X. Or endless conversations about hockey. Or some endless string of humuorous anecdotes about when such and such happened, e.g. something froze to something or they fell into a snowdrift, etc.

Or one of the more bemusing to me is that it's a "winter sports paradise", yes, let's see you engage in winter sports in -25 (or lower).

You should "embrace" winter is another one. Yes, let me go outside and embrace it. If the door isn't frozen shut.

It just is what it is. Don't let it warp your mind.
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 10:24 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
As I said a bit further back, I notice that a lot of people in Canada have mental coping mechanisms to get through winter. Lots of stories about how it isn't as bad as the winter of year X. Or endless conversations about hockey. Or some endless string of humuorous anecdotes about when such and such happened, e.g. something froze to something or they fell into a snowdrift, etc.

Or one of the more bemusing to me is that it's a "winter sports paradise", yes, let's see you engage in winter sports in -25 (or lower).

You should "embrace" winter is another one. Yes, let me go outside and embrace it. If the door isn't frozen shut.

It just is what it is. Don't let it warp your mind.
"Embracing winter" means enjoying log fires, stews, heavy reds, Yorkshire puddings and cognac. It certainly doesn't mean going outside, that's for April.

There is, btw, windborne snow passing the windows horizontally. It's the kind of weather in which the dogs have to be prodded and bullied to step outside. People should know better.

Last edited by dbd33; Mar 22nd 2014 at 10:27 am.
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 11:42 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
"Embracing winter" means enjoying log fires, stews, heavy reds, Yorkshire puddings and cognac. It certainly doesn't mean going outside, that's for April.

There is, btw, windborne snow passing the windows horizontally. It's the kind of weather in which the dogs have to be prodded and bullied to step outside. People should know better.
This was roughly the forecast for here today too, but thankfully Environment Canada got it wrong (for once). Instead of the predicted 10-15 cm overnight, I awoke to merely 2. What's more the sun came out in the afternoon and that 2 is no more.

It has been quite windy though.
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 11:48 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

The weather forecast was for freezing rain, and sure enough it was an ice day.
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 11:53 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
The weather forecast was for freezing rain, and sure enough it was an ice day.
Astonishing. I'll tell Harper that his latest round of cuts at EC haven't done the job.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2...ightening.html
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 12:25 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

At least it's a dry cold.
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 12:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not an 'effing' sort of woman...but I'm quickly becoming one.
March blizzards can have that effect! Viz this afternoon, where I found myself loudly, and vocally, reviewing my "effing" sort of vocabulary, in various languages.

It's probably my coping mechanism (TM Steve_)

SB
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 12:44 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Of the umpteen different words for snow in Inuktitut approx 1/4 mean effing snow.
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 12:46 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Living on Vancouver Island, I can't decide whether I feel a bit guilty when I hear all these reports of extreme cold and snow - or a bit smug. Part of me is a bit envious of the experience you guys in the East must have, and at the same time relieved. I think we've had about 3 weeks of snow all winter - and even that was only a foot or so; bit mamby pamby by your standards.
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 12:49 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
Living on Vancouver Island, I can't decide whether I feel a bit guilty when I hear all these reports of extreme cold and snow - or a bit smug. Part of me is a bit envious of the experience you guys in the East must have, and at the same time relieved. I think we've had about 3 weeks of snow all winter - and even that was only a foot or so; bit mamby pamby by your standards.
I don't think you should feel either guilty or smug. Having said that, I'd prefer to live in e.g. New Zealand than on Vancouver Island.
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 12:54 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I don't think you should feel either guilty or smug. Having said that, I'd prefer to live in e.g. New Zealand than on Vancouver Island.
Funnily enough, when my brother and his family visited us last year he agreed with you (they live in NZ). His only major criticism of NZ is that it's such a chuffing long way to anywhere else.
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 12:58 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
Funnily enough, when my brother and his family visited us last year he agreed with you (they live in NZ). His only major criticism of NZ is that it's such a chuffing long way to anywhere else.
Yes. Wherever I've lived in the world, both NZ and Vancouver Island have been distant places to visit. No doubt both worthy of a visit, but both very far down my priority list of places to visit next.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.