Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Thinking of moving to Nova Scotia / New Brunswick

Thinking of moving to Nova Scotia / New Brunswick

Old Mar 13th 2017, 5:26 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking of moving to Nova Scotia / New Brunswick

Originally Posted by Kentonmag
I moved from Newcastle upon Tyne to the Niagara Region 26 years ago and my job in Canada takes me to all of the Provinces, some for longer durations than others. If there is one Province I would hold above any other it would be Nova Scotia, the people are so genuine and their friendliness is 2nd to none. Halifax is my absolute favorite city for a vibrant social scene and bars and clubs that are jumping most nights of the week, and not just with the under 35 crowd. Anywhere West of Quebec if your over 35 an evening in Swiss Chalet is about as exciting as it seems to get in the social scene, apart from the endless family garden BBQ's YAWN.
Sure everyone has different lifestyles however I feel the East Coast lifestyle, outlook and friendship is more akin to what you maybe accustomed to in the UK.
On the downside the weather on the East Coast is pretty rotten and very seldom have I been over there and seen much Summery weather before June. You being from the UK North, you're probably used to average weather anyway.
Good luck with your move, and hopefully I haven't raised to many hackles by my personal views of the social habits of the rest of Canada, West of Quebec....lol
Totally agree with all of this. Spring sucks in NS!!!
Old Mar 14th 2017, 10:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by feralbob
I have to say a couple of the comments about PEI shutting down and not having jobs are a bit off the mark. Me and the family are still here It would certainly help if you could say a bit more about what you actually do.

For example IT covers a whole bunch. Here in PEI what you might not know is that we have a big EA game studio - maybe a 100 people strong that does great work. So if you tell us a bit more, might be able to suggest employment opportunities.

B
Here is a relevant article about PEI

PEI’s only strip club closes because patrons, dancers all related | The Manatee
Old Mar 14th 2017, 11:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged

Now that is VERY funny!!

A Canadian buddy of mine (originally from NB) will be able to emphasise with this I am sure
Old Mar 14th 2017, 4:05 pm
Just Joined

Wella1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Loraine 1
Hi guys,

It's been an age since I was on here (though I have been reading other posts regularly). We're finally at the stage where we can put our application in and we're hoping to move to either Nova Scotia or New Brunswick (possible even PEI if we like it). We've planned a long trip in September to do a recce of both.
We don't have children and work in Finance while my other half works in IT. We're pretty open minded about the whole thing really
Anyone have any thoughts or opinions on either of these provinces?
We moved to NS (South Shore) almost 5 years ago (well in 4 weeks time) and we're just putting plans in place to move back to the UK. We obtained or PR via NSPNP but I'm not sure if this route is still available. It depends on what you want out of life, so I don't want to reel off all of the negativities about living here but the grass is not greener! (even in the summer) lol. We don't have children and are mid/late 30's, we both found jobs ok, albeit not in our recognized fields to begin with, but the lifestyle/culture is far from what we imagined. We don't regret making the move as we would have always wondered if not, but in the last year have really seen the light.
Old Mar 15th 2017, 1:13 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wella1
We moved to NS (South Shore) almost 5 years ago (well in 4 weeks time) and we're just putting plans in place to move back to the UK. We obtained or PR via NSPNP but I'm not sure if this route is still available. It depends on what you want out of life, so I don't want to reel off all of the negativities about living here but the grass is not greener! (even in the summer) lol. We don't have children and are mid/late 30's, we both found jobs ok, albeit not in our recognized fields to begin with, but the lifestyle/culture is far from what we imagined. We don't regret making the move as we would have always wondered if not, but in the last year have really seen the light.
You don't fancy checking out another province?
Old Mar 15th 2017, 3:55 pm
Just Joined

Hi, no we don't. My husband and I sat separately and wrote a pro's/con's list and when we compared them they virtually the same. This is not a decision we made overnight, but one that has been solidified since two recent trips back to the UK. There is no comparison with A LOT of things. It's sucking the life right out of us.
In order to move to another province it would mean the same financially and the organization with regards to removals, finding a property, jobs etc etc.
Old Mar 15th 2017, 5:33 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, no we don't. My husband and I sat separately and wrote a pro's/con's list and when we compared them they virtually the same. This is not a decision we made overnight, but one that has been solidified since two recent trips back to the UK. There is no comparison with A LOT of things. It's sucking the life right out of us.
In order to move to another province it would mean the same financially and the organization with regards to removals, finding a property, jobs etc etc.
This makes my heart hurt for you. Have you taken a look at the Moving back to the UK forum? You will find lots of people feeling similar that will be supportive and helpful.
Old Mar 15th 2017, 5:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. We all only have one life. You have to do what's right for both of you and go where your hearts tell you to go.
Enjoy the next chapter 😊
Old Mar 16th 2017, 1:30 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

It's sucking the life right out of us.
Hi Wella, and welcome to our forum...which is an incredibly positive place, but honest too, and I think there are a number of us on here who can understand your feelings.

Very best of luck...wherever it might take you!
Old Mar 16th 2017, 8:53 am
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

We have been living in NB since November 2005 and I have to admit, I love living here. We moved for many reasons (no more hour+ long commuting being a major pain). My morning commute is about 15 minutes

There are downsides to living in a smaller city and it can take a while to build up a network of friends. Fredericton is a clique city with the Government, University and old frederictonians cliques.

We live just outside Fredericton, if you have any questions more than happy to help and if you need Resume circulated to IT companies again I am more than happy to help.

David
Old Mar 16th 2017, 8:56 am
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

FYI Manatee is a spoof news outlet so don't believe everything you read. When you live on an island with only 100,000 people there is a high degree of probability most of the people are related
Old Mar 16th 2017, 12:20 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dave+Jules
FYI Manatee is a spoof news outlet...
And a surprisingly good one too.

Nice to see you again.

Did you fall foul of the Mysterons?
Old Mar 16th 2017, 1:31 pm
Happy in NB

Originally Posted by BristolUK
And a surprisingly good one too.

Nice to see you again.

Did you fall foul of the Mysterons?
Yes those pesky mysterons have been twitchy single the beagle landed(crashed) in their back yard
Old Mar 16th 2017, 4:03 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MillieF
Hi Wella, and welcome to our forum...which is an incredibly positive place, but honest too, and I think there are a number of us on here who can understand your feelings.

Thank you. If we were retired then maybe it would be the place, but we still have a lot of living to do and there's nothing to get excited about here.
Old Mar 16th 2017, 4:04 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MillieF

Thank you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.