Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Thinking of moving to Nova Scotia / New Brunswick

Thinking of moving to Nova Scotia / New Brunswick

Old Feb 28th 2017, 3:09 pm
Forum Regular

Loraine 1 has a reputation beyond reputeLoraine 1 has a reputation beyond reputeLoraine 1 has a reputation beyond reputeLoraine 1 has a reputation beyond reputeLoraine 1 has a reputation beyond reputeLoraine 1 has a reputation beyond reputeLoraine 1 has a reputation beyond reputeLoraine 1 has a reputation beyond reputeLoraine 1 has a reputation beyond reputeLoraine 1 has a reputation beyond reputeLoraine 1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Thinking of moving to Nova Scotia / New Brunswick

Hi guys,

It's been an age since I was on here (though I have been reading other posts regularly). We're finally at the stage where we can put our application in and we're hoping to move to either Nova Scotia or New Brunswick (possible even PEI if we like it). We've planned a long trip in September to do a recce of both.
We don't have children and work in Finance while my other half works in IT. We're pretty open minded about the whole thing really
Anyone have any thoughts or opinions on either of these provinces?
Old Feb 28th 2017, 3:13 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking of moving to Nova Scotia / New Brunswick

Will you need a job offer/sponsoring employer to get a visa, or are you scoring enough on the CRS without one? That might affect the answers you're given.

A search of the forum will bring up loads of relevant threads to get you started, and no doubt those in NS or NB will be along to give you some good advice shortly.

Best of luck.
Old Feb 28th 2017, 3:34 pm
Forum Regular

Loraine 1 has a reputation beyond reputeLoraine 1 has a reputation beyond reputeLoraine 1 has a reputation beyond reputeLoraine 1 has a reputation beyond reputeLoraine 1 has a reputation beyond reputeLoraine 1 has a reputation beyond reputeLoraine 1 has a reputation beyond reputeLoraine 1 has a reputation beyond reputeLoraine 1 has a reputation beyond reputeLoraine 1 has a reputation beyond reputeLoraine 1 has a reputation beyond repute

We've seen representatives from both NS and NB who said we qualify for Provincial Nomination
Old Feb 28th 2017, 3:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Loraine 1
We've seen representatives from both NS and NB who said we qualify for Provincial Nomination
Yep, either way you'd probably need a job offer though (NS does have a general EE stream for those without job offers and employer support, but it's closed at the mo, NB is prioritising those with job offers/already working in the province).

So you might be better off applying via EE directly if you score enough, but at least then you could go to whichever province you preferred, rather than which of the two you find a job offer in.

Best of luck with it.
Old Feb 28th 2017, 3:44 pm
Forum Regular

We went to a Living Abroad event last year and New Brunswick rep told us that they would give us 300 points towards our application which (from what I understand) would be enough to get PN. I might be getting confused though!
Old Feb 28th 2017, 3:47 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

We went to a Living Abroad event last year and New Brunswick rep told us that they would give us 300 points towards our application which (from what I understand) would be enough to get PN. I might be getting confused though!
A provincial nomination would give you 600 points towards your PR application via EE - but it's getting the provincial nomination that can be the tricky bit! As above, NB have a backlog so are prioritising those already working in the province or who have job offers, so you could apply but might need a job offer to be in with a chance.

So I would just double check your score on the CRS without PNP to see if you can apply on your own without requiring provincial nomination. Then you would also have the freedom to live wherever you choose, and it would be quicker too - preferable for most people, but of course not always possible!
Old Feb 28th 2017, 3:49 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you - I'll speak to hubby tonight as he's done all the research and knows more than me.

I'd still be very interested to see what people think of the maritime provinces though
Old Feb 28th 2017, 3:53 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

I'd still be very interested to see what people think of the maritime provinces though
Absolutely - I've only been to NS once and never visited NB or PEI so can't really help with that I'm afraid! But I just thought it might make a difference if you needed a job offer, then it might mean that PEI isn't going to be as suitable and you should focus on NS instead for instance (I've no idea - just an example).

So it may be that it helps others tailor their advice to you if they know if you need a sponsoring employer or not.

Good luck, hopefully those in NS/NB/PEI will be along shortly, hope the existing threads on the forum help get you started in the meantime.
Old Feb 28th 2017, 3:56 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you - I'll speak to hubby tonight as he's done all the research and knows more than me.

PEI, lovely to look at in the summer, not much work, bleak in winter.
NS, lovely to look at, not much work.
NB, not much work.
Old Feb 28th 2017, 4:18 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Canada’s best (and worst) cities for finding work right now
January 14, 2016

Want to make a career move? Literally. A new regional labour market report from BMO has ranked Canadian cities according to their levels of job and population growth to determine the best spots for finding work. Here’s a look at the ten towns that topped the list.

1. Guelph, Ontario
2. Regina, Saskatchewan
3. Quebec City, Quebec
4. Moncton, New Brunswick (funny that )
5. Vancouver, British Columbia
6. Edmonton, Alberta
7. Toronto, Ontario
8. Kingston, Ontario
9. London, Ontario
10. Winnipeg, Manitoba
On the flip side, the lowest ranked cities in Canada for finding a job are:
Kelowna, BC (unemployment 6.7 per cent),
Saint John, NB (unemployment 7.7 per cent),
Peterborough, ON (unemployment 7.6 per cent),
Windsor, ON (unemployment 9.7 per cent), and
Sudbury, ON (unemployment 8.4 per cent).
Old Feb 28th 2017, 6:02 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Number 5 blew my mind.

There may be lots of jobs but if one cannot afford a place to park the car in which one is obliged to live then having a job is of little value.
Old Feb 28th 2017, 7:00 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

This relatively recent thread may be of interest.

and this one
Old Mar 1st 2017, 3:20 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Love living in NS and havent had any trouble finding work in the 6 years we have been here although it took a while to get a job I really wanted in 2014 but was specific about the role I wanted in a specific company so I narrowed that all by myself.
The job I have now I got in 3 weeks.
It does depend on what you do (sometimes) and it does depend on your network (very often)

What are you looking for?
Old Mar 1st 2017, 7:48 pm
cxx
BE Enthusiast

cxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond repute

From things I've read recently NB are crying out for IT people so it shouldn't be too difficult for your OH to get a job.
PEI is nice in the summer but pretty much shuts down for the rest of the year, and there's not a lot of big companies so finding jobs would be difficult,
NB is scarily backward and resistant to change but houses are cheap and if you can get a good job you could live well.
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 2:17 am
BE Forum Addict

pennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond repute

We have lived in the Moncton area of New Brunswick for the last ten years.
There is unemployment in every province.
Moncton has grown a fair bit in that time.

I don't think you would have any more problem with employment here than many other places.

I think the bigger centres in Nova Scotia are similar.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.