Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Six years and done

Six years and done

Old Aug 5th 2017, 1:46 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Six years and done

Originally Posted by cxx
In some ways I find the Canadians are worse for this, especially when it comes to toys in the garage. Everyone around us seems to have to have the SUV, ATV, snowmobile, boat, cottage / cabin / RV, etc. and most of it is financed by using houses as ATMs.
Canada has so many toys.. we live in Cottage Country and it's pretty much the par here. I'm not sure it is a keeping up with the Jones thing though, it's just the variance of the landscape and weather which has generated it. As for how people finance it I have never asked so couldn't comment.
Old Aug 5th 2017, 1:56 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Judging by these latest comments then the OP may well have chosen badly province wise, he should have headed West to the promised land
Old Aug 5th 2017, 1:59 am
cxx
BE Enthusiast

cxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
I think that you will find that anywhere in the world- well, maybe not Ethiopia- just different toys depending where you live. Keeping up with the Jones is an expression derived from the UK which does imply that it does frequently happen in the Uk. Worse in Canada? I'm not so sure about that.
It may just be a local thing but around our way the toys tend to stay in the garage or on the driveway, so they're never actually used, but the garage doors are left open so people walking / driving past can see them.
Old Aug 5th 2017, 2:02 am
cxx
BE Enthusiast

cxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory

Canada has so many toys.. we live in Cottage Country and it's pretty much the par here. I'm not sure it is a keeping up with the Jones thing though, it's just the variance of the landscape and weather which has generated it. As for how people finance it I have never asked so couldn't comment.
One of our neighbours, who I actively try to avoid, delights in telling me who's getting divorced, who's in debt, etc. Not sure how she knows, or how much is true, but if she's even a quarter right then we live in one dubious neighbourhood!!
Old Aug 5th 2017, 2:10 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Well, Southern Ontario is the armpit of Canada. Toronto is, effectively, a mid-size American rust belt city just with a more vibrant financial services sector and a bit more diversity. "Centre of the universe" it is not.

I would encourage you to give another region in Canada a look before going back to the UK. By that - I don't mean another suburb in Toronto or the Golden Horseshoe. Don't default into Vancouver just because so many English-speaking expats decide that Canada is Toronto, Vancouver or bust.

The prairies are underrated, as are places like Calgary and St John's. Montreal is one of the world's greatest cities - but unless you can speak French you will be unable to access that part of it. If your profession will allow it - look at even smaller towns than Winnipeg or Halifax.

Montreal and Vancouver are two of the world's great cities . . . Toronto is not. Canada is not a country for urban-philes. I would advise to look at places where you can have a lifestyle change to something more outdoorsy (this is why Canadians have all those "toys"), and perhaps you will have a different outcome.

But if it's really not working . . . go back to the UK.
Old Aug 5th 2017, 5:36 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheBear
We moved to Canada 6 years ago. I have a very well paid job, we have a great home, and live in a nice area, but we are done with Canada...or more specifically Canadians. I've met people who moved here 30 years ago, raised a family etc and still struggle socially.

The nicest thing I can say about Canadians is that they are polite (until they get behind the wheel of their financed SUV).

I live for my long weekends back in the UK where you can have a real conversation. Canadians are dull as dishwater.

If you are thinking of coming, take it from someone who believed 100% that the grass was greener...it isn't. Family, friends and a country populated by people capable of intelligent conversation is worth more than a MacMansion and a shiny new SUV.
Canadian culture is like a Morrison's supermarket, it's okay, you can get everything you need to survive and it's middle of the road in terms of affordability but it's as dull as naff. If you had other places to shop, you wouldn't choose to go there.

Last edited by Oink; Aug 5th 2017 at 6:10 am.
Old Aug 5th 2017, 6:50 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheBear
Barrie has changed a fair bit since then. Population has quadrupled for starters! However, it is an odd mix of rednecks, breading commuter types and well-healed middle class. It will improve as the new express trainline is completed. Aesthetically speaking it is streets ahead of most dormitory towns, or places like Hamilton, but it is still lagging a bit in the stock of humans able to converse about topics beyond the borders of Simcoe county.
Oh dear...

Old Aug 5th 2017, 2:51 pm
cxx
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Oink
Canadian culture is like a Morrison's supermarket, it's okay, you can get everything you need to survive and it's middle of the road in terms of affordability but it's as dull as naff. If you had other places to shop, you wouldn't choose to go there.
So true (although I never had a problem with Morrisons).
Old Aug 5th 2017, 3:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

In Gibraltar there is only one supermarket: Morrisons.
Old Aug 5th 2017, 3:24 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snowy560
In Gibraltar there is only one supermarket: Morrisons.
Both places are hardly inspiring.
Old Aug 5th 2017, 3:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Just spent a week there and loved every minute but I have relatives there and we went to Spain a few times. Sorry thread drift!
Old Aug 5th 2017, 7:15 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I've been through the prairies and frankly, I don't see what people see in that region. I just saw flat, boring landscape with not much visual appeal.

Calgary is okay, and I didn't mind Edmonton when I lived there, but for SK and MB, I don't think I could live in either, just not appealing at all. I would give Calgary a go again, but last I checked rents were still pretty high.

Originally Posted by carcajou
Well, Southern Ontario is the armpit of Canada. Toronto is, effectively, a mid-size American rust belt city just with a more vibrant financial services sector and a bit more diversity. "Centre of the universe" it is not.

I would encourage you to give another region in Canada a look before going back to the UK. By that - I don't mean another suburb in Toronto or the Golden Horseshoe. Don't default into Vancouver just because so many English-speaking expats decide that Canada is Toronto, Vancouver or bust.

The prairies are underrated, as are places like Calgary and St John's. Montreal is one of the world's greatest cities - but unless you can speak French you will be unable to access that part of it. If your profession will allow it - look at even smaller towns than Winnipeg or Halifax.

Montreal and Vancouver are two of the world's great cities . . . Toronto is not. Canada is not a country for urban-philes. I would advise to look at places where you can have a lifestyle change to something more outdoorsy (this is why Canadians have all those "toys"), and perhaps you will have a different outcome.

But if it's really not working . . . go back to the UK.
Old Aug 5th 2017, 7:21 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I've been through the prairies and frankly, I don't see what people see in that region. I just saw flat, boring landscape with not much visual appeal.

Calgary is okay, and I didn't mind Edmonton when I lived there, but for SK and MB, I don't think I could live in either, just not appealing at all. I would give Calgary a go again, but last I checked rents were still pretty high.
I have to agree with you JS, the equivelant would be living in Sleaford or Swineshead in the Uk- Google (Earth) it and you will see what I mean. There is a reason that property in these areas is cheaper.
Old Aug 5th 2017, 10:39 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I've been through the prairies and frankly, I don't see what people see in that region. I just saw flat, boring landscape with not much visual appeal....
Great for cycling though.
Old Aug 6th 2017, 4:50 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Not an issue if the parents live for 7 years after the gift
It is however pro rated for each year up to the 7 years.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.