Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Should I try somewhere else???

Should I try somewhere else???

Old Sep 16th 2010, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

Pvt Chuff is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Should I try somewhere else???

Hi Iaink, Yes indeed! I did try just after I posted!! Seriously though, please don't get me wrong, I love it here, just find it really hard being away from family - yes, that old chestnut. We went through the where shall we live dilemma to, and we considered AB and NS too, and neither would have worked for us and we felt BC would - and it does for the most part. I guess I am just having a bad day . . .
Like the other posters have said, it is all about the pros and cons . . .
Old Sep 17th 2010, 12:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Lamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond repute

I know exactly how you feel as I have been coming to Calgary on and off for twenty years with work and 2 vacations in the mountains. Always enjoyed my visits.

Wife is from St Johns, NFLD, didnt think I could settle there so we looked at a few places. Halifax NS appealed straight away (coast probably) and just felt right.

By default I was offered a location in Calgary with my work just as I was about to leave, all moving, relocating package etc. Was far to good to give up in time of a recession and with a little one on the way.

Been here two years now, like it but dont love it (love mountains, outdoors, skiing etc), just something missing. With a new baby, hardly any friends, new life etc it certainly hasn't been easy, but I still dont think thats the be all and end all of the feeling.

With work I got sent to Halifax for 10 days earlier in the year, felt like home soon as I landed and didnt want to leave.

Now for the dilemma, I want to be a policeman, lots of opportunity in Calgary, bigger force, expansion, more recruiting, very UK friendly. Halifax, very slim chance, one in one out, I am about to apply for both, if I get in to the Calgary force do you think my outlook will change?

Should I give up on it move to Halifax and just do something else?

42 years old and feel like a crossroad in life, wont be going back to the UK though.

Your thoughts to alleviate a confused mind!!!!!!!
Old Sep 17th 2010, 1:10 am
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Go where the work is in your field. No work, no $$$ = no fun.
Old Sep 17th 2010, 3:02 pm
Forum Regular

---mlm--- is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone for your advice. We have decided to look into either Nova Scotia or Prince Edward Island. We will do lots of research on both and take a trip out when we get the funds. Perhaps my heart wasn't in it, the wrong time an all. I'm just starting my last year of my adult nursing course at uni, we had not long had a little puppy dog who i MISSED desperately and when we got back from calgary my son was having a eye operation, so maybe it wasn't the best time to go???? Who knows????
Old Sep 17th 2010, 5:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

snowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ---mlm---
Thanks everyone for your advice. We have decided to look into either Nova Scotia or Prince Edward Island. We will do lots of research on both and take a trip out when we get the funds. Perhaps my heart wasn't in it, the wrong time an all. I'm just starting my last year of my adult nursing course at uni, we had not long had a little puppy dog who i MISSED desperately and when we got back from calgary my son was having a eye operation, so maybe it wasn't the best time to go???? Who knows????
Have you made a list of the things you wish to find in a new life in canada? if you haven't, I would do so.
Canada is a very diverse country and has something to offer many people. Although, it does lack a few things which we have in spades in the UK, this can sometimes be things that you didn't really notice until you don't have them anymore, then you miss sorely.

I cant say that I would choose to live in Calgary either, btw
Old Sep 18th 2010, 5:09 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Australia?
Old Sep 19th 2010, 12:54 pm
Forum Regular

GandH has a brilliant futureGandH has a brilliant futureGandH has a brilliant futureGandH has a brilliant futureGandH has a brilliant futureGandH has a brilliant futureGandH has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ---mlm---
We've been to both PEI and Nova Scotia on vacation and both were great, but we reckoned that PEI was just too small to emigrate to. Nova Scotia felt much better to emigrate to, in that gut feeling sort of way.

If you're doing Nova Scotia and PEI why not add on New Brunswick as well. We went from Nova Scotia to PEI by ferry and then to New Brunswick by the bridge.

Hope all goes well for you.

Last edited by GandH; Sep 19th 2010 at 12:55 pm. Reason: typo