Reload this Page >

School cost for 4 kids

School cost for 4 kids

Old Nov 9th 2014, 5:05 pm
Just Joined

fordhjn is on a distinguished road
Default School cost for 4 kids

Hi
I have the possibility of a job offer in Canada but have 4 children aged 6,9,12,14
Could anyone give me a realistic cost of education per year per child
As this will be my biggest factor in deciding
Any help would be great full
Thanks Steve
Old Nov 9th 2014, 5:26 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: School cost for 4 kids

Originally Posted by fordhjn
Hi
I have the possibility of a job offer in Canada but have 4 children aged 6,9,12,14
Thanks Steve
Welcome to BE!

How exciting!

Unless you are planning on putting your children into private school, schooling costs nothing in Canada except the cost of books, buses etc.

You can read more here: Canadian Schooling : British Expat Wiki and http://britishexpats.com/wiki/School...Expat_Children

You don't have to apply for study permits if you are here on a TWP but you may want to ask for one at the port of entry.

Last edited by Siouxie; Nov 9th 2014 at 5:29 pm.
Old Nov 9th 2014, 5:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Works just like in the UK.
You pay for school trips and that's it. Buses are free (where we are in Ontario and where we were in NS anyway).
You get a list of stationary to purchase at the beginning of the year that lasts for the whole year.
Some schools do lunches , others you have to send them in with sandwiches...
No school uniform so you have to buy them more clothes! lol

Think I covered everything
Old Nov 9th 2014, 7:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fordhjn
Hi
Thanks Steve
Where are you planning to live? Unlike what posters have said above, school is not "free" in many parts of Alberta. School fees are required in Calgary and surrounds every September and will vary depending upon the school authority and the courses the child chooses to take.

This year, the school fees for my two children (11 and 14) totalled around $400. This is in addition to fees for trips etc.
Old Nov 9th 2014, 7:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

And even the trip fees they emphasise heavily that if you can't afford it they will pay.
Old Nov 9th 2014, 8:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Where are you planning to live? Unlike what posters have said above, school is not "free" in many parts of Alberta. School fees are required in Calgary and surrounds every September and will vary depending upon the school authority and the courses the child chooses to take.

This year, the school fees for my two children (11 and 14) totalled around $400. This is in addition to fees for trips etc.
$400 for the year? Well I suppose that still isn't exactly expensive...

As I mentioned previously I can only comment for NS ans my little part of Ontario
Old Nov 9th 2014, 10:15 pm
Forum Regular

nfitz has much to be proud ofnfitz has much to be proud ofnfitz has much to be proud ofnfitz has much to be proud ofnfitz has much to be proud ofnfitz has much to be proud ofnfitz has much to be proud ofnfitz has much to be proud ofnfitz has much to be proud ofnfitz has much to be proud ofnfitz has much to be proud of

I had no idea that education wasn't free in Alberta. Very surprising, given that here it's all free, paper and pens included. Children are not allowed to bring their own school supplies (in primary school at least). Most of the trips don't have a charge, other than a loony here and there.
Old Nov 9th 2014, 10:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by nfitz
I had no idea that education wasn't free in Alberta. Very surprising, given that here it's all free, paper and pens included. Children are not allowed to bring their own school supplies (in primary school at least). Most of the trips don't have a charge, other than a loony here and there.
That's interesting. We're in Simcoe County and we have to supply pens, paper and so on!
Old Nov 9th 2014, 11:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
That's interesting. We're in Simcoe County and we have to supply pens, paper and so on!
Yeah we technically do too here, but the teachers will give them some if they don't have it. In highschool OTOH they don't give a <snipped> you're "unprepared" , you're "unprepared" . That's it.

Last edited by Siouxie; Nov 10th 2014 at 5:04 am. Reason: It's a family forum, please mind your language, thanks.
Old Nov 9th 2014, 11:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Gozit
Yeah we technically do too here, but the teachers will give them some if they don't have it. In highschool OTOH they don't give a <snipped>, you're "unprepared" , you're "unprepared" . That's it.
Yes, that sounds about right...but then by the time you go to high school you should be able to organize yourself!

Last edited by Siouxie; Nov 10th 2014 at 5:04 am. Reason: adjusted quote
Old Nov 10th 2014, 1:33 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, that sounds about right...but then by the time you go to high school you should be able to organize yourself!
I'm thinking yours are not teenagers yet

To the OP, there are school fees -google the school division of where your going to find out how much. Buses are free -if you are far enough away and going to the right school, In some cases buses to sc hool of choice will also be free. As has been mentioned you will probsbly have to supply paper, pens pencils, glue, tissues, duotangs (folders) and a whole list of other things too, high school kids will have to pay locker fees (minimal) parking etc school books in high school is where it gets spendy, I think the worst semester was around $400 but that was because it was all brand new books, you get credit on retuned books.

You will probably have a choice of Public, Christian, Catholic and French Immersion Schools.
Old Nov 10th 2014, 1:38 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
I'm thinking yours are not teenagers yet

To the OP, there are school fees -google the school division of where your going to find out how much. Buses are free -if you are far enough away and going to the right school, In some cases buses to sc hool of choice will also be free. As has been mentioned you will probsbly have to supply paper, pens pencils, glue, tissues, duotangs (folders) and a whole list of other things too, high school kids will have to pay locker fees (minimal) parking etc school books in high school is where it gets spendy, I think the worst semester was around $400 but that was because it was all brand new books, you get credit on retuned books.

You will probably have a choice of Public, Christian, Catholic and French Immersion Schools.
DandN has the entire age range of children/adults to comment from experience on
Old Nov 10th 2014, 1:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ability to organise oneself doesn't change the circumstance of some kids parents not being able to afford to purchase supplies every year, though
Old Nov 10th 2014, 2:05 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
DandN has the entire age range of children/adults to comment from experience on
Then they should know, just because they are in High School it doesnt mean automatic organisation skills
Old Nov 10th 2014, 2:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Then they should know, just because they are in High School it doesnt mean automatic organisation skills
Which is why I said they should be able to rather than they can...

As Tirytory said, I have the whole spectrum... 23, 21, 15 and 9! lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.