Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Returning to the UK

Returning to the UK

Old Oct 26th 2014, 4:23 pm
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returning to the UK

What's this 'rule' about no drinking within 24h of work? I can understand for pilots or surgeon or other public at risk roles, but is it more widespread than that?
Old Oct 26th 2014, 4:29 pm
Just Joined

Aqua_matt is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
I'm not sure it's really anyone else's job to educate you, but go on, what do you want to know? I don't think what you say is nonsense, but considering the size of Canada and the diversity of the UK and Europe, I think for every UK Nanny state example you'll likely find someone on here with a similar Canadian example.
yes your correct there will be similarities, differences, pros and cons. but that's why I'm here..not really asking to be educated in anything specific...just yet.lol.just referencing the fact the reason most of us are on here to learn. I still have long way to go and have briefly touched the tip of the iceberg.
I'm all for research and getting stuck in.

going back to why I think it's a 'nanny state' when it comes to kids. is that there are so many restrictions here of what they can and can't do. whether it be in schools,outside activities etc
maybe this is still the case in Canada, but swings and roundabouts.
Old Oct 26th 2014, 4:39 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aqua_matt
yes your correct there will be similarities, differences, pros and cons. but that's why I'm here..not really asking to be educated in anything specific...just yet.lol.just referencing the fact the reason most of us are on here to learn. I still have long way to go and have briefly touched the tip of the iceberg.

going back to why I think it's a 'nanny state' when it comes to kids. is that there are so many restrictions here of what they can and can't do. whether it be in schools,outside activities etc
Probably the best way to educate yourself about the process of getting here is to have a really good read of the Wiki section. It's the fourth tab from the left on the blue bar above. It contains a wealth of knowledge and should answer most of your questions.
Old Oct 26th 2014, 4:41 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
What's this 'rule' about no drinking within 24h of work? I can understand for pilots or surgeon or other public at risk roles, but is it more widespread than that?
AFAIK this sort of restriction is limited to "public at risk" roles.
Old Oct 26th 2014, 4:50 pm
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Simon Legree
AFAIK this sort of restriction is limited to "public at risk" roles.
Phew!
Old Oct 26th 2014, 5:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

On BE we have an alternative saying to the grass on the other side of the fence etc...'same sh*t...different bucket' and it's very true.
Old Oct 26th 2014, 5:30 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Was 12 hours everywhere I have worked, but only the safety sensitive jobs (all aviation related) really enforced the rule, the other employers really didn't care as long as you didn't come to work drunk, smelling like booze or drinking on the job, although at my last hotel we did have a guy who couldn't resist vodka in his coffee, but he eventually got fired for drinking on the job.

Unless one has an above average income and can afford the Vancouver lifestyle, I'd say pretty much anywhere in the developed countries would be better. Vancouver and the lower mainland are nice, but without a decent income, you can't enjoy or take part of the lifestyle for the most part, so in the end might be better off elsewhere.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Oct 26th 2014 at 5:32 pm.
Old Oct 26th 2014, 6:53 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I think my recent favourite though was the thread from a forum member in which we learnt that government employees aren't allowed to wear scent/perfume to work.
That is not uncommon, our businesses are all 'scent/perfume free' Many folks have allergies, myself included, some scents trigger quite unpleasant consequences. I have had to leave or move in a theatre or restaurant because of some pretty horrible perfumes.

One quite ridiculous bylaw we have is having to get a permit to have a bonfire. Outdoor burning is restricted to 2 two month periods in a year and we have to get a permit for each period.
Old Oct 26th 2014, 7:08 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Simon Legree
Rules like no alcohol for 24 hours prior to starting work is hardly "nanny state" stuff. How would you feel if I showed up to take you on a flight reeking of alcohol ? Not too thrilled I suspect. Rules like that are generally for the protection of the public.
Air regs only require flight crews not to consume alcohol 8 hours prior to flying. One cannot be under the influence though.
Old Oct 26th 2014, 8:22 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

I take it you have children in the UK then? I haven't found having children in Canada any different to having children in the UK. I have no experience of these restrictions that apply to those poor old Brit kids. There are many things that are lovely about Canada but honestly it's not that different. I imagine if you live in a city then it's a very similar experience indeed and if you live rurally then you have to travel a lot further to get your children to activities that were round the corner in the UK.
Old Oct 26th 2014, 8:28 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
One quite ridiculous bylaw we have is having to get a permit to have a bonfire. Outdoor burning is restricted to 2 two month periods in a year and we have to get a permit for each period.

I don't see it as ridiculous, as far as I am concerned outdoor burning should be banned altogether along with fireplaces when it comes to non-rural regions.

The smoke from my neighbors fireplace sets off my respiratory issues just as bad as any other pollutant. Winter is down right miserable because of all the smoke in the air.
Old Oct 26th 2014, 8:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

like what?

I have 2 children and I can't think of any 'restrictions' on them that wouldn't exist in Canada, so I'd love a couple of examples of what you mean by this?
Old Oct 26th 2014, 9:23 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
like what?

I have 2 children and I can't think of any 'restrictions' on them that wouldn't exist in Canada, so I'd love a couple of examples of what you mean by this?
1) They're not supposed to smoke MaryJane.

2) People would ridicule them if they spoke about Iced Hockey.
Old Oct 27th 2014, 1:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
I take it you have children in the UK then? I haven't found having children in Canada any different to having children in the UK. I have no experience of these restrictions that apply to those poor old Brit kids. There are many things that are lovely about Canada but honestly it's not that different. I imagine if you live in a city then it's a very similar experience indeed and if you live rurally then you have to travel a lot further to get your children to activities that were round the corner in the UK.
We've had kids born in Canada (2 daughters), the UK (1 son) and the US (1 daughter). We have found differences between Canada/US and the UK although this might just be anecdotal.

Hospitals - the hospitals where our kids were born in Canada were excellent. Very clean and the staff were brilliant. Our first was born in Toronto and it was not an easy birth but the staff handled it very well. Our son was born at Northwick Park Hospital in London and the place was a shambles. Even the toilet doors were hanging off including the one for the public bathroom in the main corridor. The staff did their best but they were obviously under great stress and this affected their performance. My wife is a nurse and she did sympathize with them. My son was in difficulties after birth (he had been born with the umbilical cord around his neck). He needed a shot of some drug but the nurse couldn't find the drug and then also couldn't find a syringe. It was a nightmare. I wasn't surprised to read about serious issues at Northwick Park maternity unit in subsequent years (e.g. higher mortality rates for mothers and infants). Google it for yourself if interested.

Schools - in Canada, the school system is easy to understand. Where you live pretty much dictates which schools your kids will go to. In the UK, it's not as simple. We lived in London at the time that we were trying to enroll our oldest in a decent local school. Again, a nightmare. It was one of the last few straws that broke the camel's back for us in terms of staying in the UK.

Recreational Facilities - there are many things I could say about recreational facilities in the UK in general. We got so fed up going to playgrounds (all over the country) only to find broken glass, litter, dog poop, graffiti, etc. I had to inspect everywhere before I could allow the kids to play. Then there were the foul-mouthed chavs who had nothing better to do than hang out at playgrounds/parks and get up to no good because there was nothing better for them to do.

General view on children - we just didn't find the UK to be as child-friendly as Canada. Attitudes towards children are just different. I remember my wife and kids stopping off at a pub restaurant in the early afternoon somewhere on the way from London to Brighton. We wanted to get some lunch but we were told that the kids weren't welcome.

Now obviously some of this stuff may also happen in Canada but it certainly seems to be more common in the UK. At least in our experience.

Last edited by MarylandNed; Oct 27th 2014 at 2:01 pm.
Old Oct 27th 2014, 1:50 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
We've had kids born in Canada (2 daughters), the UK (1 son) and the US (1 daughter). We have found differences between Canada/US and the UK although this might just be anecdotal.

Hospitals - the hospitals where our kids were born in Canada were excellent. Very clean and the staff were brilliant. Our first was born in Toronto and it was not an easy birth but the staff handled it very well. Our son was born at Northpark Park Hospital in London and the place was a shambles. Even the toilet doors were hanging off including the one for the public bathroom in the main corridor. The staff did their best but they were obviously under great stress and this affected their performance. My wife is a nurse and she did sympathize with them. My son was in difficulties after birth (he had been born with the umbilical cord around his neck). He needed a shot of some drug but the nurse couldn't find the drug and then also couldn't find a syringe. It was a nightmare. I wasn't surprised to read about serious issues at Northwick Park maternity unit in subsequent years (e.g. higher mortality rates for mothers and infants). Google it for yourself if interested.

Schools - in Canada, the school system is easy to understand. Where you live pretty much dictates which schools your kids will go to. In the UK, it's not as simple. We lived in London at the time that we were trying to enroll our oldest in a decent local school. Again, a nightmare. It was one of the last few straws that broke the camel's back for us in terms of staying in the UK.

Recreational Facilities - there are many things I could say about recreational facilities in the UK in general. We got so fed up going to playgrounds (all over the country) only to find broken glass, litter, dog poop, graffiti, etc. I had to inspect everywhere before I could allow the kids to play. Then there were the foul-mouthed chavs who had nothing better to do than hang out at playgrounds/parks and get up to no good because there was nothing better for them to do.

General view on children - we just didn't find the UK to be as child-friendly as Canada. Attitudes towards children are just different. I remember my wife and kids stopping off at a pub restaurant in the early afternoon somewhere on the way from London to Brighton. We wanted to get some lunch but we were told that the kids weren't welcome.

Now obviously some of this stuff may also happen in Canada but it certainly seems to be more common in the UK. At least in our experience.

I guess that's just area though and it's easier to move area than it is to move country. My son has a lot more outdoor space here but that's simply because of where we chose to live in the UK as opposed to here. We could have provided that same environment by moving rurally. The parks thing you mentioned again didn't apply in my area. They were all very well kept and no "chav's" (I hate that word-disrespectful in itself) as you say.

Ironically we moved because of my husbands job as a GP...he is now frantically missing the UK system as this one is nowhere near as good. The green is starting to wear off and he can see where all the faults lie. I don't deny that you may have had a bad experience and I'm a nurse too and had two great hospital births so my point is that both countries are essentially the same - well they are not because the UK health system is better (not my words and I can provide a link).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.