Reload this Page >

Registering a domain name in Canada

Registering a domain name in Canada

Old Jan 12th 2015, 12:59 am
Forum Regular

dominiqueincanada is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Registering a domain name in Canada

Hey.

I've been living in Canada for two and a half years and have a valid work permit to March 2016; I have applied for permanent residency which is currently being processed.

I want to register a Canadian (.ca) domain name but on researching this they have limitations on who is able to register a domain name. Would I come under the category of "permanent resident" which is defined in the CIRA documents as:

Permanent resident. A permanent resident as defined in the immigration and Refugee Protection Act, (Canada) S.C. 2001, c. 27, as amended from time to time, who is ordinarily resident in Canada (as defined below) and of the age of majority under the laws of the province or territory in Canada in which he or she resides or last resided;(amended June 5, 2003)
Where:

“ordinarily resident in Canada” means an individual who resides in Canada for
more than 183 days in the twelve month period immediately preceding the date of the applicable application for registration of the .ca domain name or sub-domain name and in each twelve month period thereafter for the duration of the domain name registration
From these notes, it seems as if I am able to register a domain name but I'd really appreciate some guidance on this.

Thanks,

Dominique
Old Jan 12th 2015, 2:27 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Registering a domain name in Canada

You are not a 'permanent' resident if you are on a 'temporary' work permit.

To register a .CA domain name an applicant must have a connection to Canada, through one of the following categories:
  • Canadian Citizen
  • Permanent resident
  • Legal representative
  • Corporation
  • Trust
  • Partnership
  • Association
  • Trade union
  • Political party
  • Educational institution
  • Library, Archive or Museum
  • Hospital
  • Her Majesty the Queen
  • Indian band
  • Aboriginal Peoples
  • Government
  • Trade-mark registered in Canada
  • Official marks
Right now you don't meet the criteria unless you register a corporation and go though that route.
Old Jan 12th 2015, 3:10 am
Forum Regular

dominiqueincanada is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for clarifying Aviator! Guess I'll have to wait.
Old Jan 13th 2015, 2:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Err you can buy a .ca domain off any domain registration website for about $20. I use www.hover.com for my domains. I don't really think it would be an issue. It says you have to have a connection to Canada. You live here. There's your connection

Is there a criminal offense associated with registering a .ca domain when you "aren't supposed to" ?

I've registered .co.uk domains and i've never been to the UK and am not a UK citizen. Hasn't been a problem.
Old Jan 13th 2015, 3:12 pm
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Photoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed. You'd be the first person in internet history to actually look at/be concerned with the peculiar residency requirements for a .ca domain.
Old Jan 13th 2015, 3:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
Err you can buy a .ca domain off any domain registration website for about $20. I use www.hover.com for my domains. I don't really think it would be an issue. It says you have to have a connection to Canada. You live here. There's your connection

Is there a criminal offense associated with registering a .ca domain when you "aren't supposed to" ?

I've registered .co.uk domains and i've never been to the UK and am not a UK citizen. Hasn't been a problem.
I have driven my vehicle in excess of speed limits every day for the past 20 years. I have never received a speeding ticket, therefore what I am doing is perfectly legal
Old Jan 13th 2015, 3:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Photoplex
Agreed. You'd be the first person in internet history to actually look at/be concerned with the peculiar residency requirements for a .ca domain.
Yep. +1

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I have driven my vehicle in excess of speed limits every day for the past 20 years. I have never received a speeding ticket, therefore what I am doing is perfectly legal
Old Jan 14th 2015, 9:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Wombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit

Advice from a teenager who drives without a licence and without insurance on public roads......just to out things in context.

Yes if you register you will likely get away with it.
Old Jan 14th 2015, 12:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Wombat7
Advice from a teenager who drives without a licence and without insurance on public roads......just to out things in context.

Yes if you register you will likely get away with it.
So you agree with me, yet you're taking a jab at me for no seemingly relevant reason to this thread? You must have alot of time on your hands to be following me around the forums just to take the piss at me for doing something you believe is wrong.