Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Prescription from Canada?

Prescription from Canada?

Old Mar 24th 2016, 2:51 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Prescription from Canada?

May need to research and check US Customs is still intercepting sripts from Canada in the mail if found.

They were at one point for humans at least.

One thing I have always wondered is if the antibiotics sold for fish in pet stores is any different. Usually erythromycin or tetracycline. (spelling?)
Old Mar 24th 2016, 2:59 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Is this the same stuff?

Its got the name in this post but no idea if its the same o different.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Flonase-Allergy-Relief-0.54-fl-oz-120-metered-sprays/39456749
Old Mar 24th 2016, 3:11 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Is this the same stuff?

Its got the name in this post but no idea if its the same o different.

Flonase Allergy Relief Nasal Spray, 0.54 fl oz - Walmart.com
No, that is a steroid nasal spray, not an inhaler- for the lungs. You can buy the nose spray over the counter, the inhaler needs a prescription

It's a good thing that horses don't get asthma/allergies so much isn't it?-what with all the hay and straw- giving a horse an inhaler would take some doing!
Old Mar 24th 2016, 6:01 am
Account Closed

I knew you would know the answer.....

Horse might eat thw inhaler....lol

Until this post I had no idea a cat could use one.

Never occured to me either vets could write a rx, always thought they just had it all in the office.. Lol. Anything Ive ever had for a pet the vet had in the office.

Well minus fish, anythinf needed for them can be bought OTC at a pet store.

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
No, that is a steroid nasal spray, not an inhaler- for the lungs. You can buy the nose spray over the counter, the inhaler needs a prescription

It's a good thing that horses don't get asthma/allergies so much isn't it?-what with all the hay and straw- giving a horse an inhaler would take some doing!
Old Mar 24th 2016, 7:07 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

May need to research and check US Customs is still intercepting sripts from Canada in the mail if found.

They were at one point for humans at least.

One thing I have always wondered is if the antibiotics sold for fish in pet stores is any different. Usually erythromycin or tetracycline. (spelling?)
Yes, I would think so but I'm no vet. I presume any fish medication is either soluble or floaty?
Old Mar 24th 2016, 7:23 am
Account Closed

Usually soluble, but I have seen some medicated flakes but generally you just add the medication to the water and one should set up a hospital tank as treating the entire main tank isnt good.

Luckily fish when provided with clean water and low stress environment rarely become ill.

Marine fish are more suseptible to illness but a lot come from the ocean and well they are more fragile then most freshwater who are thousands of generations if not more removed from their wild counter parts and mass produced in Asia and Florida fish farms.

But more and more species of marine fish are succesfully bred in captivity every year so one day hopefully few wi be wild caught.

Yes, I would think so but I'm no vet. I presume any fish medication is either soluble or floaty?
Old Mar 24th 2016, 7:43 am
I need a walk

Usually soluble, but I have seen some medicated flakes but generally you just add the medication to the water and one should set up a hospital tank as treating the entire main tank isnt good.

Luckily fish when provided with clean water and low stress environment rarely become ill.

Marine fish are more suseptible to illness but a lot come from the ocean and well they are more fragile then most freshwater who are thousands of generations if not more removed from their wild counter parts and mass produced in Asia and Florida fish farms.

But more and more species of marine fish are succesfully bred in captivity every year so one day hopefully few wi be wild caught.
Interesting- thanks! i agree- capturing any wild creature for pets is never a good thing IMO
Old Mar 24th 2016, 1:02 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Why on earth would a U.S Pharmacy reject a prescription from a Dr S.Tinky Pup? I have to say that I was furious!
Yes, but by complaining here you are barking up the wrong tree.

Old Mar 24th 2016, 3:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

loubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond repute

I will be interested if you manage it- I am a physician licences in Canada, I faxed a prescription to a U.S. pharmacy for a patient for meds that they were on and that they really needed (anti-depressants) and they wouldn't accept it - it would be ironic if you succeed getting a Px approved sent up to Canada by an American vet for a cat, great for you but I have to say somewhat irritating for me
I'll update the thread next week as I'm going to the UK today and cat will stay on the tablets until I can source an inhaler.

Thanks for all the advice and links so far.
Old Mar 24th 2016, 3:58 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I know of a horse recently being prescribed Tramadol (sp?). The owner checked the price of the drug here, in Canada, and in Michigan, where she was going for the weekend and where she usually picks up veterinary prescriptions. She then remembered being prescribed Tramadol for herself in Mexico and that she still had a big bag of pills. After checking with the vet, she fed them to the horse. $100 if they're for horses here, $10 if they're for people in Mexico.

I'd investigate the cost of inhalers to the south, not up here.
Old Mar 24th 2016, 5:47 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Never occured to me either vets could write a rx, always thought they just had it all in the office.. Lol. Anything Ive ever had for a pet the vet had in the office.

Well minus fish, anythinf needed for them can be bought OTC at a pet store.
A dog of mine needed a drug for an inoperable tumour. I got the prescription from my vet and took it to the local pharmacy where the drug was 50% less expensive - this was on the vets advice. It saved a lot of money over 3 years.
Old Mar 24th 2016, 6:00 pm
Account Closed

Makes sense. We have never needed anything major for Charlee just a couple pain pills after her spaying but the cost was only 10 or 12 dollars for the pills.

Thinking of it, my dads mastiff is on human dose of some sort of med for arthritis and I think my dad say he gets the pills from Costco. Totally forgot about that.

Does make sense a vet could prescribe stuff and they could be filled at a human pharmacy since so many meds are approved for both human and vetrinary use.

Now Charlee being 9 pounds a human pharmacy may not even have a dose small enough, with her pain meds I had to cut the pill into 4 quarters as the smallest dose was still too much for her.

Ditti with gracol and benedryl if needed but of course both are otc.

Originally Posted by R I C H
A dog of mine needed a drug for an inoperable tumour. I got the prescription from my vet and took it to the local pharmacy where the drug was 50% less expensive - this was on the vets advice. It saved a lot of money over 3 years.