Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Oakville/Toronto/GTA

Oakville/Toronto/GTA

Old Aug 8th 2005, 1:35 pm
Yorkshire meets Vegas

Pretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oakville/Toronto/GTA

Originally Posted by crosswire
Eeee bah gum good old yorkshire lassie eh.. Thats where we are from, East Yorkshire. What part were you from?? ....
I grew up and lived in Horsforth until I was 18. I was in London for the eight years prior to moving to Canada.
Old Aug 8th 2005, 2:12 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sarah Farrand
Having recently broken the Tank (Cistern) for my en suite, I don't really think you would want to employ me as a bathroom fitter. Thanks for the offer though
How in the name of god do you break a cistern? What were you doing in there?
Old Aug 8th 2005, 3:17 pm
Yorkshire meets Vegas

Pretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
How in the name of god do you break a cistern? What were you doing in there?
It's a long story... do you really want to hear it?
Old Aug 8th 2005, 3:19 pm

It's a long story... do you really want to hear it?
Go for it!

Any pics?
Old Aug 8th 2005, 3:28 pm
Yorkshire meets Vegas

Go for it!

Any pics?
No pictures unfortunately. But it was rather an episode.

Canadian toilets aren't wired exactly the same way that UK ones are, and I noticed that mine kept leaking water into the pan for some reason. In my hamfisted attempt to stop the water leaking from the clapper, I broke off the extension pipe.

This meant that I had to replace the whole clapper system (all that had happened was that the cord had got twisted.

So, some time later I got a new clapper system for it from Canadian Tire, and set too fitting the new one in my Cistern.

All was well and good until after I had put everything back together. I then realised that the cistern was leaking where I had rescrewed everything back together.

Rather than taking the sensible approach and applying some plumbers flux or the like over the screws, I elected to tighten them further, causing one of them to produce a large and very leaky crack that extended all the way up the cistern.

Thusly does a simple fault of a twisted cord lead to needing to replace the whole toilet unit. By a plumber naturally...

Now my doorbell isn't working either, and I'm loathed to take it apart to find out what's going wrong....
Old Aug 8th 2005, 3:45 pm

No pictures unfortunately. But it was rather an episode.

Canadian toilets aren't wired exactly the same way that UK ones are, and I noticed that mine kept leaking water into the pan for some reason. In my hamfisted attempt to stop the water leaking from the clapper, I broke off the extension pipe.

This meant that I had to replace the whole clapper system (all that had happened was that the cord had got twisted.

So, some time later I got a new clapper system for it from Canadian Tire, and set too fitting the new one in my Cistern.

All was well and good until after I had put everything back together. I then realised that the cistern was leaking where I had rescrewed everything back together.

Rather than taking the sensible approach and applying some plumbers flux or the like over the screws, I elected to tighten them further, causing one of them to produce a large and very leaky crack that extended all the way up the cistern.

Thusly does a simple fault of a twisted cord lead to needing to replace the whole toilet unit. By a plumber naturally...

Now my doorbell isn't working either, and I'm loathed to take it apart to find out what's going wrong....
Overtightening. You know, I'd have put money on your saying that. It's pretty much the only way there is to knacker a Canadian lav. The same applies to the bolts holding down the pedestal, by the way.

You sound like an ideal candidate for the Black & Decker home repair manual (available at Home Depot). Very useful book.
Old Aug 12th 2005, 8:26 pm
Forum Regular

crosswire is an unknown quantity at this point

Overtightening. You know, I'd have put money on your saying that. It's pretty much the only way there is to knacker a Canadian lav. The same applies to the bolts holding down the pedestal, by the way.

You sound like an ideal candidate for the Black & Decker home repair manual (available at Home Depot). Very useful book.
Patsy, videos should be done soon, im just transferring them to HD then to DVD, let me know if you still want them
Old Aug 12th 2005, 8:28 pm

Patsy, videos should be done soon, im just transferring them to HD then to DVD, let me know if you still want them
Old Aug 12th 2005, 8:55 pm
Forum Regular

I know I know......I should have made myself clear...

Either the DVD of Oakville or.......
Old Aug 12th 2005, 9:02 pm

I know I know......I should have made myself clear...

Either the DVD of Oakville or.......

Still utterly confused. Your message was aimed at Patsy.
Old Aug 12th 2005, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

Still utterly confused. Your message was aimed at Patsy.
I know..Solly and all that..Just me being lazy!..I should have pm'ed her, that would have been easier eh!
Old Aug 13th 2005, 2:29 am
Yorkshire meets Vegas

I know..Solly and all that..Just me being lazy!..I should have pm'ed her, that would have been easier eh!
And there I was thinking this was evidence of a secret toilet fetish
Old Aug 13th 2005, 10:46 am
Forum Regular

And there I was thinking this was evidence of a secret toilet fetish
Ooo Sarah, what are you implying..