Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving a car from ON to SK

Moving a car from ON to SK

Old Jun 18th 2008, 6:05 pm
rolling uphill

edsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud of
Default Moving a car from ON to SK

We're giving my sister-in-law our car after many, many troubles trying to get driving experience credited (long story). I want to drive the car from Ontario to Saskatchewan, where my sister-in-law is. I want the car to be insured when I drive.

The problem is that the car is parked off-road, and is currently without insurance. My sister-in-law cannot get SGI to cover the car, as it's not in Saskatchewan. When I've tried looking for other insurance using a Saskatchewan postcode, insurers aren't interested. The reason why I didn't at first look for insurance using my/my wife's details is that our premiums are astronomical (due to Ontario not recognising my wife's driving experience prior to October last year).

Am I going to have to bite the bullet and get some stupidly high rate *just* to cover the car while I drive it to Saskatchewan (which will take less than a week)? Or should I consider getting someone to put it on a trailer/train?
Old Jun 18th 2008, 6:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving a car from ON to SK

To be honest, I suspect you'll find it's cheaper to ship the car than to insure it; though possibly you could insure it, drive over and then cancel the policy to get a partial refund?
Old Jun 18th 2008, 11:14 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving a car from ON to SK

I know here (Alberta) you can get an In transit permit, you should check into that!

http://www.servicealberta.ca/572.cfm

Intransit Permit
To move an unregistered vehicle from one location to another in Canada, you must provide proof of ownership if the vehicle is being moved outside of Alberta, proof of valid insurance, and a description of the vehicle including the make, year and serial number. A time-limited permit may be issued to permit the movement of the vehicle without registration. For fee information, see registry agent's Product Catalogue (pdf). Permits are not valid outside of Canada

Hope that helps!