Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving to Canada: Adult Nurse and Mentail Health Nurse

Moving to Canada: Adult Nurse and Mentail Health Nurse

Old Jan 8th 2016, 10:16 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Canada: Adult Nurse and Mentail Health Nurse

Originally Posted by ricky31290
Being a mechanical engineer there is a chance we could survive off my wage alone but if she could get a job pretty quick it would make things a whole lot easier. As the process is so long we have no issue waiting to see what's released in April.

Fingers crossed eh!
You mean the process of getting registered to work as a nurse I assume? Because the visa side of things can be 4 months or so, quite quick really (depending on the visa route you're taking/qualify for).

Could be worth contacting the relevant nursing registration body in BC to see if they know of these changes and if they will happen.

Good luck, let's hope it's positive news for you in April.
Old Jan 8th 2016, 10:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

The only real way to get any answers is applying to the college and going through the process and see what they have to say. Unfortunatley it is a long and expensive process
Old Jan 8th 2016, 10:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Because the NNAS is a requirement of all provinces except Quebec I do not see that requirements being excluded but here is a link to the college of BC website https://www.crnbc.ca/Registration/RN...s/Default.aspx
Old Jan 8th 2016, 3:01 pm
Just Joined

Kirstyaa is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of Nurse managers gaining Canadian registration? Is there any difference in the NNAS process vs those those wanting to work in a clinical capacity?
Old Jan 8th 2016, 3:57 pm
Just Joined

ricky31290 is an unknown quantity at this point

The main issue we have is not so much the time, it's to spend all that time and money on getting registered and then having the difficulty of getting full time employment!

I'm hoping this new scheme will maybe give a path to a full time job at the end of a given process. At least we know the hassle will be worth it in the end.
Old Jan 8th 2016, 3:59 pm
Just Joined

ricky31290 is an unknown quantity at this point

Also, if Quebec don't require the same registration, why are all the nurses not going there. Quebec is somewhere I've never looked into but I take it it has its own challenges?
Old Jan 8th 2016, 5:47 pm
Forum Regular

charlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kirstyaa
Hi there,

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of Nurse managers gaining Canadian registration? Is there any difference in the NNAS process vs those those wanting to work in a clinical capacity?
It wouldn't make any difference, the requirement is the same if RN is needed for the job.
Old Jan 8th 2016, 5:56 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kirstyaa
Hi there,

No, post registration experience and education seem to count for little when applying for registration. It would be your husband's initial education they would be scrutinizing.

The main issue we have is not so much the time, it's to spend all that time and money on getting registered and then having the difficulty of getting full time employment!

I'm hoping this new scheme will maybe give a path to a full time job at the end of a given process. At least we know the hassle will be worth it in the end.
What new scheme?

Also, if Quebec don't require the same registration, why are all the nurses not going there. Quebec is somewhere I've never looked into but I take it it has its own challenges?
If you speak fluent French- enough to be able to work, then applying to Quebec might be an option for you.

Briefly, I've answered a few threads lately with in depth answers but I'm writing my RPN exam next Wednesday and am in the throes of final studying so I haven't got time to write in depth answers again but they are out there to read!
Old Jan 8th 2016, 6:33 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
What new scheme?
BC announced a few months back they are going to streamline the process for foreign trained nurses to work here more easily.

Specific details havent been releases as far as I know. At the time of announcement they said April 2016.

BC has a severe nursing shortage and cant fill the positions with BC trained nurses and many are in specialized nursing like surgery so a new nurse would qualify anyhow.

They have been actively recruiting according to BC govt in UK, Ireland and the US for nurses.

While specifics have not been released govt says the new program will speed up the process so foreign nurses can work here quicker.

Launch is in April so probably wont be til closer to April exact details come out.

Govt just says streamlined process so nurses can work faster.

At current training rate at BC colleges assuming no current nurses retire or quit, the shortage would take over a decade to fix. The schools are maxed out on how many nurses they can produce.

Some hospitals have been cancelling surgeries due to mot having nurses available.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/british-columbia/b-c-nursing-shortage-crisis-1.3354089

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jan 8th 2016 at 6:47 pm.
Old Jan 8th 2016, 6:42 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
BC announced a few months back they are going to streamline the process for foreign trained nurses to work here more easily.

Specific details havent been releases as far as I know. At the time of announcement they said April 2016.

BC has a severe nursing shortage and cant fill the positions with BC trained nurses and many are in specialized nursing like surgery so a new nurse would qualify anyhow.

They have been actively recruiting according to BC govt in UK, Ireland and the US for nurses.

While specifics have not been released govt says the new program will speed up the process so foreign nurses can work here quicker.

Launch is in April so probably wont be til closer to April exact details come out.

Govt just says streamlined process so nurses can work faster.

At current training rate at BC colleges assuming no current nurses retire or quit, the shortage would take over a decade to fix. The schools are maxed out on how many nurses they can produce.

Some hospitals have been cancelling surgeries due to mot having nurses available.
I couldn't see anything official when I briefly googled it, only Union sources which invariably always claim to be short staffed. I did see an article about surgery being cancelled but it said it wasn't because of lack of nurses more that they needed nurses trained in that area.

If's it the case it will be interesting to see what they do to help overseas nurses. I assume that they can't just skip nurses initial registration?or secondary registration with province so how they intend to speed it up I don't know. I wonder if it's one of those right hand/left hand situations going on
Old Jan 8th 2016, 6:49 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

The CBC article quotes the govt who says they are streamlining the process and recruiting overseas.

I would not expect specific details until April when its supposed to start.

I couldn't see anything official when I briefly googled it, only Union sources which invariably always claim to be short staffed. I did see an article about surgery being cancelled but it said it wasn't because of lack of nurses more that they needed nurses trained in that area.

If's it the case it will be interesting to see what they do to help overseas nurses. I assume that they can't just skip nurses initial registration?or secondary registration with province so how they intend to speed it up I don't know. I wonder if it's one of those right hand/left hand situations going on
Old Jan 8th 2016, 7:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Quebec require fluency in French and if I remember rightly going to another province afterwards to register is still costly and expensive. Plus nursing in Quebec is the lowest paid in Canada.

Another thing to add at the moment there is no national licence so requirements may change from province to province, may change in the future who knows

Last edited by Silverdragon102; Jan 8th 2016 at 7:09 pm.
Old Jan 9th 2016, 3:13 am
Account Closed

May be of interest to some. BC recently made some changes to nursing regulations and scope of practice for each.

Psychiatric Nurse

Licensed Practical Nurse

Registered Nursing.

https://www.crnbc.ca/crnbc/Announcem..._approved.aspx
Old Jan 13th 2016, 8:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Briefly, I've answered a few threads lately with in depth answers but I'm writing my RPN exam next Wednesday and am in the throes of final studying so I haven't got time to write in depth answers again but they are out there to read!

Good luck today
Old Jan 13th 2016, 6:11 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

:
Originally Posted by Silverdragon102
Good luck today
Thank you!

It's done and what a relief! Time will tell how it went obviously but I feel like it was ok. The first three people and only people I talked to were resitting it and not Canadian trained so who knows- I did feel a tad anxious after that and decided not to talk to anyone else

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.