British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Moving to Canada: Adult Nurse and Mentail Health Nurse (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/moving-canada-adult-nurse-mentail-health-nurse-869345/)

BackbackingBaby Dec 17th 2015 10:25 pm

Moving to Canada: Adult Nurse and Mentail Health Nurse

Hello

We are looking for a plan with regards to looking to move to Canada in 2018. We are a young family 25 + 28 with a 9 month old baby. I am a registered nurse (Adult) and my partner is a registered nurse (Mental Health). We both hold a current UK registration and studied a BN (Hons) degree programme. I have a acute medical nursing background and my partner has acute inpatient background. We don't really know where to start? Especially with regards to my partners area of nursing. Is this recognised in Canada? Alberta to be specific? Can he just register? Struggling to find information. I understand mine is more straight forward with just an nclex exam and registration. If anyone could help that would be lovely! Thanks!

christmasoompa Dec 18th 2015 8:21 am

Re: Moving to Canada: Adult Nurse and Mentail Health Nurse

Originally Posted by BackbackingBaby (Post 11816595)
Hello

We are looking for a plan with regards to looking to move to Canada in 2018. We are a young family 25 + 28 with a 9 month old baby. I am a registered nurse (Adult) and my partner is a registered nurse (Mental Health). We both hold a current UK registration and studied a BN (Hons) degree programme. I have a acute medical nursing background and my partner has acute inpatient background. We don't really know where to start? Especially with regards to my partners area of nursing. Is this recognised in Canada? Alberta to be specific? Can he just register? Struggling to find information. I understand mine is more straight forward with just an nclex exam and registration. If anyone could help that would be lovely! Thanks!

Hi, and welcome to BE.

Not sure anything about getting registered to work as a nurse in Canada is 'straightforward' from what I understand! :lol:

Have a search for posts, particularly by forum member TiryTory who has been going through the process herself for the past year or so, and has shared lots of valuable info.

Are you both degree trained? And do you have a visa route in mind, will you need a job offer to get a visa?

Good luck with it.

Tirytory Dec 18th 2015 4:15 pm

Hello and welcome...

So the first steps for yourself and your husband are the same. You will both need to apply to NNAS to get your qualifications assessed. Current processing time is 102 days apparently or averages at that on receipt of a complete application.

About Us — NNAS / SNEI

Once NNAS have assessed you, your information goes forward to the relevant provincial nursing board. So here's where it gets more difficult. A Canadian RN has undertaken a four year Baccalaureate which includes Paediatrics and Midwifery. The UK three year degree with only minimum requirement paeds and midwifery does not generally meet their criteria of an equivalent nursing education. Therefore it's highly unlikely you will be able to just sit the NCLEX. What's more likely is that you will need to sit the SEC assessment where the board evaluates your knowledge and makes recommendations based on how you do- this could mean you go forward to the NCLEX or that you need to do further courses.

SEC assessment | CARNA

I'm truthfully not sure if the equivalent applies to your husband but I do know that generally trying to get qualifications transferred to Canada is hard going so I imagine it's pretty similar.

Alongside this you need to consider how you will get PR and so you need to consider the requirements for Express Entry also and whether you can score enough points to get selected to apply for PR.

Other things to mention... Alberta's economy is not good at the moment and as with all other economies, public sector always takes a hit so you might find jobs difficult to come by. I note that BC is actively recruiting Nurses from the UK apparently so that might be worth investigating if you don't have a specific reason for choosing Alberta.

Also your initial nursing career here will be hard going. Your first job will probably be casual hours, then you might move on to temporary contract- part time then permanent- this is called seniority and it's rubbish. It really isn't the same as applying for a job in the UK and getting it based on merit. You'll be last in line for holidays, good shifts etc. This is just the reality of the situation.

Personally I wouldn't move from the NHS- you don't know how great it is! But if you do want to, make sure you read anything and everything you can get your hands on and go in with your eyes wide open.

Silverdragon102 Dec 18th 2015 9:36 pm

Getting assessed as a RN in Canada is not straight forward as you would think. As mentioned you would both have to go through NNAS and then provincially through the provincial college of RN. Psychiatric RMN is recognised in a few provinces and you can find info here About Us | RPNC

Most UK nurses do struggle to get registered in Canada due to requiring both clinical and theory hours in Paeds, Mental Health, Obstetric and Adult. As mentioned you may have to do some form of assessment and many we have seen posting back that they need to do courses costing $$

Be sure that this is what you want and read up thoroughly on what you want to do and whether the risk is worth it. Nursing in most provinces is heavily involved with the union and seniority rules and for most getting a job even casual is a hurdle

scrubbedexpat091 Dec 18th 2015 11:43 pm

Starting in April 2016 BC is apparently going to streamline and make it easier for foreign nurses to come here and work. Probably helps the province is nearing critical shortage in nurses, especially in specialty nursing.

Apparently the province is actively recruiting in the UK, Ireland and US.

They haven't given too many specifics yet as to how they are simplifying the process, but might be worth looking into if you are willing to come to BC.

""By simplifying the process, it can help internationally educated practitioners enter the work force faster based on their skills, education and experience."

B.C. facing critical nurse shortage, says BCNU - BC | Globalnews.ca

BC has separate nursing for mental health and no mention of psychiatric nurses being included in the new process.

I can't find much of the specifics of the new program, so I suppose the gov't hasn't fully announced them yet.

The nursing schools in BC are at capacity, and cannot train enough people to meet the future demands, so no choice but to go elsewhere.

Keep an eye out in the coming months to see what BC announces.

I wonder if I should go to California, get training, and try to go through the new process? It's far more competitive and difficult to get into a nursing program in BC and I likely never would, but California is a different story, it's not competitive based at most schools but first come first serve type thing, provided you meet the minimum entry requirements, but you don't need a near 4.0 GPA like in BC and the competitive based system. I know a fellow who has a 3.8 GPA and wasn't accepted into the program for psych nursing, and he also has an existing bachelors degree. Average is something like 3.9 something at the moment at some schools.

telgar32 Dec 29th 2015 5:53 pm

Hi, its interesting reading on here. I am currently going through the NNAS process which seems to be taking forever. I applied in May 2015 and am still waiting for one document (which they have confirmed they have received) to be put on my account. Then I believe they have all the necessary documents they require to give me an NNAS report. Does anyone know how long this takes? Its interesting how Tirytory you say you'd stay with the NHS! I can't wait to get away from the NHS at the moment!! I am looking at nursing in Nova Scoatia. Does anyone know what this province is like with regard to training requirements please? I am an adult nurse with a degree in adult nursing in the UK at the moment. Also, is it possible to work as a health care assistant part time whilst you complete any training at college and then go to an RN post once you are fully licenced? Just trying to figure out the options with regard to becoming a licensed nurse in Canada. I have heard that any theory can be completed online here in the Uk and you can come to Canada to do the practical, not sure how true this is however. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Silverdragon102 Dec 29th 2015 6:25 pm

I suspect you will be asked to attend some form of assessment which can be from 3 to 5 days usually in Halifax. We use certified care assistants here in N.S so you will need to contact them to see if you can get the OK to work or need to do the course and/or exam. You may want to consider applying to the college of LPN and pass their exam and work as a LPN whilst going through the RN process.

Where abouts are you looking to live? Work is being advertised but unions are big and you are probably looking at working as a casual before part time due to how things are done here with union involvement

telgar32 Dec 29th 2015 7:03 pm

Thanks for that SilverDragon. I am looking at working in Halifax. I will look into the idea of being an LPN whilst going through the RN process. The issue here is whether it would be financially viable to do it that way. Do you know what the average wage is for an LPN by any chance. And when you say casual hours how many hours a week does this entail?

Silverdragon102 Dec 29th 2015 10:53 pm

LPN pay will be better than care assistant. Look at LPN as the old Enrolled Nurse of the UK. Their scope is large and I know of someone who needs to do courses for RN but went through the LPN route and met requirements and passed exam. NSNU is one union that deals with the hospital and if you check out page 117 of the collective agreement here it will give you an idea of pay http://www.nsnu.ca/site/media/nsnu/N...02012-2014.pdf

Casual hours means casual so it will vary and a lot of the time you are called on the day to cover shifts. Also because of how the unions work jobs are offered internally and via seniority before going externally

telgar32 Jan 1st 2016 7:56 pm

Thanks Silverdragon. Once I have my NNAS report the college will tell me what training I need to do. Next I have to decide what sort of permit to apply for. Do you have any advice regarding this? Also I'm not sure whether to apply for the Express entry or Provincial Nominee programme.
Happy New year! I hope this year is good one and I get over there!

Siouxie Jan 1st 2016 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by telgar32 (Post 11825769)
Thanks Silverdragon. Once I have my NNAS report the college will tell me what training I need to do. Next I have to decide what sort of permit to apply for. Do you have any advice regarding this? Also I'm not sure whether to apply for the Express entry or Provincial Nominee programme.

I believe you would need a job offer to go the Provincial Nominee route as the NS 'In demand' Express Entry Nominee route is closed at present.

https://novascotiaimmigration.com/mo...killed-worker/

Do you meet the criteria and have enough points to likely be selected on the 'normal' Express Entry route?

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...=express-entry / http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...ly-factors.asp

:)

Silverdragon102 Jan 1st 2016 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by telgar32 (Post 11825769)

Coming to the tail end of citizenship and a lot of things have changed with work permits but you may find it hard to find a hospital in Halifax willing to go the permit route unless you have something special to offer. I would wait and see what the college says once your NNAS is complete and sent however I wouldn't be surprised if they want assessment doing.

ricky31290 Jan 7th 2016 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 11817321)
Starting in April 2016 BC is apparently going to streamline and make it easier for foreign nurses to come here and work. Probably helps the province is nearing critical shortage in nurses, especially in specialty nursing.

Apparently the province is actively recruiting in the UK, Ireland and US.

They haven't given too many specifics yet as to how they are simplifying the process, but might be worth looking into if you are willing to come to BC.

""By simplifying the process, it can help internationally educated practitioners enter the work force faster based on their skills, education and experience."

B.C. facing critical nurse shortage, says BCNU - BC | Globalnews.ca

BC has separate nursing for mental health and no mention of psychiatric nurses being included in the new process.

I can't find much of the specifics of the new program, so I suppose the gov't hasn't fully announced them yet.

The nursing schools in BC are at capacity, and cannot train enough people to meet the future demands, so no choice but to go elsewhere.

Keep an eye out in the coming months to see what BC announces.

I wonder if I should go to California, get training, and try to go through the new process? It's far more competitive and difficult to get into a nursing program in BC and I likely never would, but California is a different story, it's not competitive based at most schools but first come first serve type thing, provided you meet the minimum entry requirements, but you don't need a near 4.0 GPA like in BC and the competitive based system. I know a fellow who has a 3.8 GPA and wasn't accepted into the program for psych nursing, and he also has an existing bachelors degree. Average is something like 3.9 something at the moment at some schools.

Has anybody any more info on this? My wife was hoping to work as a nurse in BC but the more we read the more difficult it seems and we are beginning to be put off!

christmasoompa Jan 8th 2016 9:10 am

Originally Posted by ricky31290 (Post 11831069)
Has anybody any more info on this? My wife was hoping to work as a nurse in BC but the more we read the more difficult it seems and we are beginning to be put off!

In all honesty, emigrating isn't for the faint hearted anyway - the visa hassles, the tens of thousands it all costs, the stress of moving to an unfamiliar country etc. Granted, it's tougher for nurses than most, but just think of it as one more hurdle to cross - hopefully your love of Canada will make it all worthwhile in the end! :fingers crossed:

But until there's an official announcement about the above, I wouldn't pin too much on it. Do have a look at the nursing threads and perhaps start your own thread with any questions, we've got quite a few nurses on the forums that are super helpful.

Best of luck with it all.

ricky31290 Jan 8th 2016 10:13 am

Being a mechanical engineer there is a chance we could survive off my wage alone but if she could get a job pretty quick it would make things a whole lot easier. As the process is so long we have no issue waiting to see what's released in April.

Fingers crossed eh!