Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Making the move from London to Toronto

Making the move from London to Toronto

Old Dec 27th 2017, 10:56 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Making the move from London to Toronto

Originally Posted by bats
That's not our experience but even so sick leave pay here is dire compared to the UK as it maternity leave.
Maternity leave depends on the employer. My daughter has had her job for about five years and has spent two of them on maternity leave. Of course she's an employee of the federal government and took the position specifically for the time off. Contractors are at the other extreme, the only pay is for hours billed and there are no benefits.
Old Dec 27th 2017, 11:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
That's not our experience but even so sick leave pay here is dire compared to the UK as it maternity leave. Also there's this concept of seniority which means that those who have been employed there the longest get first choice of vacation dates. Newcomers take what's left.
My daughter had 12 months mat leave in Toronto. I thought that was pretty standard in Ontario.

https://www.canada.ca/en/services/be...-parental.html
Old Dec 28th 2017, 1:23 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
My daughter had 12 months mat leave in Toronto. I thought that was pretty standard in Ontario.

https://www.canada.ca/en/services/be...-parental.html
I believe that everyone in Canada is entitled to 12months maternity leave or a split between maternity and paternity leave. However few employers pay for much of that, particularly in the private sector. So taking mat leave essentially is the same as going on EI. Not sure how that compares with the UK.
Old Dec 28th 2017, 1:28 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Oh I'm not doing too well with my comments today. Maternity leave is a year isn't it in both countries but I'm under the impression that the pay is better in the UK. Isn't it EI here after a short while? Women also seem to work much closer to delivery date too, ie the day before.