Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Looking for advice regarding a potential family move to Canada

Looking for advice regarding a potential family move to Canada

Old Jul 3rd 2015, 3:14 am
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking for advice regarding a potential family move to Canada

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Honestly, to avoid the risk of winter weather including many days that are 10°C or colder and/or substantial amounts of snow, you have to be so far south of the US-Canadian border that you are closer to the Gulf of Mexico than Canada. ...... By which time you are facing summer temperatures that commonly reach well over 30°C, and 35+°C temperatures are not uncommon.

Worse given the "continental" weather patterns that North America experiences, it is very common to experience bitterly cold and/or heavy snow in the winter AND high summer temperatures in the same location.

Your last sentence describes Southern Ontario to a 'T'. We can get down to -20c or below in the winter, with wind chill making it feel worse, and in the summer we can easily get up into the low 30c range with the humidity making it feel much warmer than that (which will happen later this week if I am remembering last night's forecast correctly).
Old Jul 3rd 2015, 11:42 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Worse given the "continental" weather patterns that North America experiences, it is very common to experience bitterly cold and/or heavy snow in the winter AND high summer temperatures in the same location.
Originally Posted by colchar
Your last sentence describes Southern Ontario to a 'T'. We can get down to -20c or below in the winter, with wind chill making it feel worse, and in the summer we can easily get up into the low 30c range with the humidity making it feel much warmer than that
NB too. Quebec too. I always imagined much of Canada to be very similar judging by posts on this forum.

I remember the odd 'sticky' day back in the UK and thinking how uncomfortable it was. But nothing was like leaving a store here on a humid day and having your glasses steam up when going outside.
Old Jul 3rd 2015, 12:59 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

I knew a few people in university who moved out there from Ontario and they all love it, none of them are ever coming back. I also knew people from the Maritimes in grad school and they couldn't wait to get out of Ontario and back down east.

I think I want to get out of Ontario and would easily choose the Maritimes were it not for the winters. Victoria is my other option but the cost of living will be much higher there than in the Maritimes.
This is nice to read on here. I hear it all the time in day to day, but on here it doesnt seem to be a popular opinion....sadly
Old Jul 3rd 2015, 1:00 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
NB too. Quebec too. I always imagined much of Canada to be very similar judging by posts on this forum.

I remember the odd 'sticky' day back in the UK and thinking how uncomfortable it was. But nothing was like leaving a store here on a humid day and having your glasses steam up when going outside.
we get that a lot too here in NS, very humid summers - I love them
Old Jul 3rd 2015, 4:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK

The one I hate is getting into my car, taking my sunglasses out of the glove box, and having them burn when I put them on.
Old Jul 3rd 2015, 4:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Howefamily
This is nice to read on here. I hear it all the time in day to day, but on here it doesnt seem to be a popular opinion....sadly

The Maritimes are beautiful and Maritimers (I will resist the urge to call all Maritimers Newfies ) are great people, just great people.

As I said, the Maritimes and Victoria are my two options if I leave Ontario (well those or go back to Britain but I am not sure I could do that). Both are beautiful but Victoria will be more expensive while having better weather.
Old Jul 3rd 2015, 5:40 pm
Happy

The Maritimes are beautiful and Maritimers (I will resist the urge to call all Maritimers Newfies ) are great people, just great people.

As I said, the Maritimes and Victoria are my two options if I leave Ontario (well those or go back to Britain but I am not sure I could do that). Both are beautiful but Victoria will be more expensive while having better weather.
I couldnt go back to the UK, no way
Old Jul 8th 2015, 4:35 am
Forum Regular

gemmab1979 is a splendid one to beholdgemmab1979 is a splendid one to beholdgemmab1979 is a splendid one to beholdgemmab1979 is a splendid one to beholdgemmab1979 is a splendid one to beholdgemmab1979 is a splendid one to beholdgemmab1979 is a splendid one to beholdgemmab1979 is a splendid one to beholdgemmab1979 is a splendid one to beholdgemmab1979 is a splendid one to beholdgemmab1979 is a splendid one to behold

Schooling system is different here in Alberta in that they start later and finish later. The qualifying year runs from sep 1st to march 1st (will be brought forward even more in 2018 to dec 31st) so children born after that will drop back a school year. Kindergarten age 5 and then grade 1 aged 6. I'm overall not impressed with it, my summer born sons will be 2 years behind their peers in the UK but I guess if we are staying here (just got copr) it's all relative. For me personally having 3 kids 5, 3 abd 11 months it feels like eternity away till they are all in full time school and I can get back to work, I'm going to be past it by that time I don't believe this is the same for every province though and I guess it's not a deal breaker just something to get used to.