Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How to go about finding work and moving to Canada as a newly qualified social worker

How to go about finding work and moving to Canada as a newly qualified social worker

Old Oct 18th 2017, 7:50 am
Just Joined

Sarahd1977 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How to go about finding work and moving to Canada as a newly qualified social worker

Hi I’m in need of some advice. I would love to relocate my family to Canada and work as a social worker. I have recently qualified and have no clue how to go about finding work, sponsorship or anything Any advice would be very appreciated. Thanks
Old Oct 18th 2017, 8:45 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to go about finding work and moving to Canada as a newly qualified social wor

Hi, and welcome to BE.

Do you definitely need a job offer/sponsorship? Or do you qualify for a visa without one? If you do need one, then I'm not sure you'd find it that easy without any work experience tbh.

I've got a vague recollection that social workers need a masters in SW in Canada for most jobs, but a quick forum search should bring up some relevant threads.

Good luck.
Old Oct 18th 2017, 6:47 pm
Just Joined

Sarahd1977 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How to go about finding work and moving to Canada as a newly qualified social wor

Hi Christmasoompa,

Many thanks for your reply. Can I get a visa without a job offer first? I have got a degree in SW and from looking online it appears that Canada’s masters are equivalent to a degree over here?! Do you think it’s a good idea to maybe visit the Canadian embassy to enquire further?
Old Oct 18th 2017, 8:07 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Nope, don't visit the embassy, you can't just turn up there & they don't give out advice I'm afraid. If you did want advice on visas, an immi lawyers is the place to go, or just start a new thread in the immi section of the forum and the good folks there will help you out. You can get a visa without a job offer if you score enough, start with the Wiki & CIC website to work out your scores & eligibility, or look at temporary visas such as the IEC.

And I don't think the masters/degree thing is the right way round, Canadian degrees are 4 years long, so a UK degree would be highly unlikely to be equivalent to a Canadian masters imo. But a quick search for threads from other social workers should tell you, and give you info on how to go about getting licensed to work in Canada too.

Good luck.
Old Oct 18th 2017, 8:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Sarah

welcome

Why not do as Christmasoompa suggested, do a quick forum search search for threads relevant to your interests?

You can then formulate questions based on knowledge of what the situation really is. The Embassy won't be able to help you very much unless you do have some prior knowledge ...... including which province you would be interested in.

You should be aware that the PROVINCES in Canada are responsible for regulating many professions, such as teaching, nursing, social work, etc etc

I would not be surprised to find out that the UK bachelor's requires some upgrading to match a Canadian one ........... the Canadian degree is a 4 year programme. Or that you would need experience before being accepted by the professional association.

Try looking at the site for the British Columbia College of Social Workers

http://www.bccollegeofsocialworkers....ation-process/

Repeat for other provinces

Last edited by scilly; Oct 18th 2017 at 8:11 pm.
Old Oct 20th 2017, 12:41 am
Forum Regular

pontcanna has a reputation beyond reputepontcanna has a reputation beyond reputepontcanna has a reputation beyond reputepontcanna has a reputation beyond reputepontcanna has a reputation beyond reputepontcanna has a reputation beyond reputepontcanna has a reputation beyond reputepontcanna has a reputation beyond reputepontcanna has a reputation beyond reputepontcanna has a reputation beyond reputepontcanna has a reputation beyond repute

I did the same in reverse many years ago and had to submit my credentials to the UK CCETSW (I think that was the acronym) to have my Canadian (BSW) degree confirmed as equivalent for employment purposes to the UK CQSW. I think that's all out of date now and I endorse the suggestion to get ahold of the relevant provincial association of social workers for advice. A job swap might be another possibility (something I did with a Probation Officer from South Wales).