Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Going back to canada

Going back to canada

Old Sep 1st 2015, 2:09 pm
Just Joined

deborah24 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Going back to canada

we are wanting to go back to novascotia after 2years back in the uk,we are permanent residents but our card has expired.my question is about taxes when we go back ,we left in october 2013 and contacted HR block in the march to do our taxes in 2014 but the never done them so do you think we will have a big tax bill when we return.i read that we will have to be quick about our move back so we keep our residency
Old Sep 1st 2015, 2:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going back to canada

You can do your tax return now and find out how much you might owe.

There are many online/software resources; I use studiotax after a recommendation from another BE member.
http://www.studiotax.com/en/?page=1

As far as returning to Canada as PRs is concerned, do you meet the 730 days in 5 years residency obligation? Counting backwards from the day you (will) apply to renew your PR card (s)?

Last edited by Shirtback; Sep 1st 2015 at 2:19 pm. Reason: Added link
Old Sep 1st 2015, 2:17 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by deborah24
contacted HR block in the march to do our taxes in 2014 but the never done them so do you think we will have a big tax bill when we return.
That depends on whether you owed any taxes. Without posting your financials on here, we cannot tell you.

Personally I avoid H & R Block. If you can prove they were supposed to file for you and failed to do so, you may have a claim on them for interest and penalties. If you cannot prove this and owe taxes, there will be interest and penalties on any late filing and payment. Depending on your circumstances, you may even be due a refund.

It'll be a nice surprise for you when you get to Canada. Be sure to be proactive on this, if CRA come after you, they can be quite unforgiving.
Old Sep 1st 2015, 2:54 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

A little premature I know but an advanced "welcome back to Nova Scotia"
Old Sep 1st 2015, 3:31 pm
Just Joined

deborah24 is an unknown quantity at this point

thank you for all the replies ,we are still not sure what way to do this.we became permanent residents in june 2009 and left canada in october 2013 for family reasons our PR cards expired on july2014 we miss canada so much.i do not think we have got time to mess about so i think maybe apply for PR travel document but as i said in previous post do not know how long it takes to get this and then apply for new PR card as soon as we get back to nova scotia
Old Sep 1st 2015, 3:40 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Why not just contact the CRA and ask them what your situation is? You might owe them, they might owe you.
Old Sep 1st 2015, 3:46 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
Why not just contact the CRA and ask them what your situation is? You might owe them, they might owe you.
CRA won't tell you over the phone, or by letter without tax returns being filed.

Register for a GC Key Access My Service Canada Account - Service Canada

This may help.
Old Sep 1st 2015, 5:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by deborah24
thank you for all the replies ,we are still not sure what way to do this.we became permanent residents in june 2009 and left canada in october 2013 for family reasons our PR cards expired on july2014 we miss canada so much.i do not think we have got time to mess about so i think maybe apply for PR travel document but as i said in previous post do not know how long it takes to get this and then apply for new PR card as soon as we get back to nova scotia
It looks as if you are very close to missing the minimum # of days to meet the RO, if you left in October 2013, and if you dither much longer. Without further info, I'd say you need to get your skates on & get yourselves back to Canada ASAP. A PRTD application can & should be reasonably fast for a British citizen, via the London consulate, *if* you meet the RO.

Imagine you apply for a PRTD today: count backwards from today: do you have 730 days present in Canada, in the last 5 years?. NOT from the day you arrived in Canada. Take the date in October 2013 that you left Canada, and do the same.

Originally Posted by Aviator
CRA won't tell you over the phone, or by letter without tax returns being filed.

Register for a GC Key Access My Service Canada Account - Service Canada

This may help.
+1. And tbh, your putative tax problems are irrelevant to your returning to Canada project, if you don't get your skates on.