Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Favourite Job Hunting Resources/sites

Favourite Job Hunting Resources/sites

Old Apr 19th 2017, 11:22 am
Forum Regular

Cornfedapache is a name known to allCornfedapache is a name known to allCornfedapache is a name known to allCornfedapache is a name known to allCornfedapache is a name known to allCornfedapache is a name known to allCornfedapache is a name known to allCornfedapache is a name known to allCornfedapache is a name known to allCornfedapache is a name known to allCornfedapache is a name known to all
Default Favourite Job Hunting Resources/sites

Hi everyone

Happy Spring

Hopefully a quick question... What are your favourite sites for job hunting from the UK to get that job offer needed to enter the pool/get the points?

I've been recommended Glassdoor, which seems OK. I've had a look at Job Bank, but it seems to be only for those in EE stream (can I enter that stream even if I don't have a job offer yet - the website isn't totally clear to my eye on that point)...

Aside from finding and approaching individual firms (which I'm also doing), are there any good job boards that you'd recommend?

Thank you!
Old Apr 19th 2017, 11:28 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Favourite Job Hunting Resources/sites

Originally Posted by Cornfedapache
I've had a look at Job Bank, but it seems to be only for those in EE stream (can I enter that stream even if I don't have a job offer yet - the website isn't totally clear to my eye on that point)...
Depends. Are you eligible to apply as a FSW? If so, then your CRS score isn't relevant just to enter the pool, so yes, you can. What's your CRS score? I assume you know the points level has dropped quite considerably recently?

If you tell people what you do, then they might be able to give you relevant job websites, but tbh, your best bet is just to get out there and job hunt in person, particularly when trying to convince an employer to go to the cost and hassle of hiring you on a LMIA/TWP.

Best of luck.
Old Apr 19th 2017, 11:30 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

P.S. Just wanted to say that your posts are always chirpy, polite and cheerful so thank you for that. If I had a business in Canada doing whatever it is you do, I'd snap you up just on that basis alone!
Old Apr 19th 2017, 12:16 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

www.careerbeacon.com + Linked In.
Old Apr 19th 2017, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

Cornfedapache is a name known to allCornfedapache is a name known to allCornfedapache is a name known to allCornfedapache is a name known to allCornfedapache is a name known to allCornfedapache is a name known to allCornfedapache is a name known to allCornfedapache is a name known to allCornfedapache is a name known to allCornfedapache is a name known to allCornfedapache is a name known to all

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Depends. Are you eligible to apply as a FSW? If so, then your CRS score isn't relevant just to enter the pool, so yes, you can. What's your CRS score? I assume you know the points level has dropped quite considerably recently?

If you tell people what you do, then they might be able to give you relevant job websites, but tbh, your best bet is just to get out there and job hunt in person, particularly when trying to convince an employer to go to the cost and hassle of hiring you on a LMIA/TWP.

Best of luck.
Oh I've been watching those tumbling points.......

I've recently left my job as a Head of Communications (think marketing & PR) to start up as a freelance in business marketing & branding, while I get all of the Big Move Information sorted and in place.

i'm seriously going to have to start making better notes on all of the different streams, because I'm getting myself really confused again...

If the EE tool says that I'm not eligible, is FSW still a route? According to the website (Determine your eligibility – Federal skilled workers), EE manages FSW.
Following that through, the Come To Canada tool (Do you want to come to Canada as a skilled immigrant?) says that I do not appear to be eligible for entry (I said that i don't have a valid job offer, which I don't. Going through the tool again and saying YES gives me a Yes).
It does however say that I can create an EE profile - should I do that at this point 9i.e. without a job offer)? Will that unlock the option to get the info needed to create the job seeker's code for the job bank?

thank you
PS I do try to always sound chirpy - I really appreciate all of the help I get here (even if i do think that I end up asking similar questions and getting myself into a tangle!)
Old Apr 19th 2017, 12:56 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
I'll check out Career Beacon - thanks!
(Already have a number of LI searches up and running )

Thank you
Old Apr 19th 2017, 2:19 pm
Sasstronaut

livinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in NYC so *not* Canada but up till recently was job hunting like crazy so hopefully I can help

From my perspective, LinkedIn + Premium job seeker membership (insights into applicants, featured applications and InMail credits to reach out to recruiters) works wonders! Indeed.com is also great - I'm pretty sure Indeed covers the GTA.

This is super important when seeing an advertised job that lists the actual recruiter so you can reach out. Some recruiters even go as far as to list their email address on their profile, I'd reach out to them directly through that.

I started reaching out directly to recruiters over LinkedIn and it was vastly better in getting results than just apply online and pray.

Re: Glassdoor - I've only really used that site to get insight on interview questions and culture, Whilst I know they do list jobs, I've never used it for that.

Hope this helps!
Old Apr 19th 2017, 4:21 pm
Forum Regular

Ebonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond repute

As someone who has been job hunting for awhile, I'll second the nomination of Indeed (in Canada it's indeed.ca) and LinkedIn. If you go to the 'advanced' screen for Indeed, you can set up multiple searches for different keywords, with different radii around areas you're interested in (so you can set up a search for 50 km radius around Vancouver, and a 100 km radius around Saskatoon for example), and can specify only new listings that have appeared since your last visit to the site (so you don't have to go through postings you've already seen)

One thing to keep in mind regarding job searching in North America, is that it's not unusual for there to be a very long time between when the posting is published, and when you may be contacted by the company. It's not unusual for a company to post a position, and then collect resumes for a month before even looking at them. If you're not selected for an interview, then most likely you'll simply not hear back from the agency. It's uncommon to receive a call/email from a company/agency saying that you weren't selected - usually it's simply silence.
Old Apr 19th 2017, 5:01 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

i got my current job through a posting on indeed.ca , so I'd third that
for non profits also charityvillage
Old Apr 20th 2017, 7:53 am
Forum Regular

Thank you so much everyone - I REALLY appreciate the advice and insight

I'll check out Indeed - i've come across it before but wasn't sure if it was like Monster/similar where job posts seem to get left forever and the search is a bit"wonky". But based on your feedback - I'm in

Have magnificent days everyone!
Old Apr 20th 2017, 10:22 am
SUPER MODERATOR

If the EE tool says that I'm not eligible, is FSW still a route? According to the website (Determine your eligibility – Federal skilled workers), EE manages FSW.
Following that through, the Come To Canada tool (Do you want to come to Canada as a skilled immigrant?) says that I do not appear to be eligible for entry (I said that i don't have a valid job offer, which I don't. Going through the tool again and saying YES gives me a Yes).
It does however say that I can create an EE profile - should I do that at this point 9i.e. without a job offer)? Will that unlock the option to get the info needed to create the job seeker's code for the job bank?
EE and FSW come under the same thing, so if it says you're not eligible then no, FSW isn't an option at all and you can't even enter the pool.

Sounds like you're just not scoring enough to qualify as a FSW without a job offer, personal question but are you perhaps a tad older (over 30-35ish), and do you not have much post-secondary education? If so, you probably just don't score 67 so that's why it's saying you're not eligible for EE.
Old Apr 20th 2017, 10:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Indeed...
Old Apr 21st 2017, 9:15 am
Forum Regular

EE and FSW come under the same thing, so if it says you're not eligible then no, FSW isn't an option at all and you can't even enter the pool.

Sounds like you're just not scoring enough to qualify as a FSW without a job offer, personal question but are you perhaps a tad older (over 30-35ish), and do you not have much post-secondary education? If so, you probably just don't score 67 so that's why it's saying you're not eligible for EE.
I am indeed 35 and don't have a degree
(17 years of slog and a few international awards don't count for many points...)

Do you have a link to the points calculator to hand? All I can seem to find at the moment is the main EE pool calculator (the hundreds of points one) rather than the FSW one...
From memory, I get about 64 points, I think, on the FSW calculator without a job offer...
Old Apr 21st 2017, 9:56 am
SUPER MODERATOR

I am indeed 35 and don't have a degree
(17 years of slog and a few international awards don't count for many points...)

Do you have a link to the points calculator to hand? All I can seem to find at the moment is the main EE pool calculator (the hundreds of points one) rather than the FSW one...
From memory, I get about 64 points, I think, on the FSW calculator without a job offer...
Ah, that'll be it then. You're unfortunately not eligible as you don't meet the 67 points requirement. Here you go - Six selection factors – Federal skilled workers

So your only option would be to go over on a LMIA/TWP, and then apply for PR after, as you'd get the extra points for arranged employment then.

Best of luck.
Old Apr 22nd 2017, 4:35 pm
Forum Regular

Ah, that'll be it then. You're unfortunately not eligible as you don't meet the 67 points requirement. Here you go - Six selection factors – Federal skilled workers

So your only option would be to go over on a LMIA/TWP, and then apply for PR after, as you'd get the extra points for arranged employment then.

Best of luck.
Ah-ha - thanks for that!

Quick mental maths: for me with no degree or job offer, 62. (get that job offer and home & dry as that's 10 points?)
My other half - once he finishes his OU degree and assuming that the ECA says that it's equivalent to a 3 year course - and without a job offer: 72.

So I checked on the Come To Canada tool for my OH and even with no job offer, computer says Yes.

I seem to remember once upon a time that it was possible for the partner of the principle applicant to come over and then get a job once in the country. Is that still the case? Could my OH go through EE for PR, get the ITA and I come over as his partner, then get a job?
Or has this changed?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.