Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

driving licence exchange ontario

driving licence exchange ontario

Old Sep 15th 2017, 6:40 pm
Just Joined

rwgs811 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question driving licence exchange ontario

Does anyone know how long you can drive as a PR in Ontario before needing to exchange. I've seen everything from 60 days to 6 months mentioned.

Also, when they do the exchange, do they put the date you passed (from the UK on there), or is it the date you actually exchange. If the latter, is there any way of proving how long you have actually been driving as wouldn't the insurance companies then just see you as a brand new driver? I'm not talking about NCB here. I can't see it included on any example copies I've seen - on the UK one for instance, it's on the back.

Or for insurance purposes, can you just tell them the date you passed your UK test?

Last edited by rwgs811; Sep 15th 2017 at 6:54 pm.
Old Sep 15th 2017, 10:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: driving licence exchange ontario

https://www.ontario.ca/document/offi...rivers-licence

60 days.
Old Sep 15th 2017, 11:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

evets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rwgs811

Also, when they do the exchange, do they put the date you passed (from the UK on there), or is it the date you actually exchange. If the latter, is there any way of proving how long you have actually been driving as wouldn't the insurance companies then just see you as a brand new driver? I'm not talking about NCB here. I can't see it included on any example copies I've seen - on the UK one for instance, it's on the back.

Or for insurance purposes, can you just tell them the date you passed your UK test?
They put the date as of the day of the exchange.

Take photocopies of your UK license and the paper section if you have it, as that contains the details of how long you have had your UK license.
Note: You have to surrender your UK license, and my own experience of changing license and years of experience are pretty much moot in Ontario.

Insurance companies in Ontario WILL see you as a newly passed driver and do not care how long you have had your license in the UK. 2 points to note here:
- If you have no claims bonus in the UK, at least 3 years, then you need to contact your insurance company and ask them to provide a letter, wording is very specific as they do not accept the standard letter that your insurance company issues. Check out the wiki section which has page which covers this.

- Consider doing the basic drivers education program, costs around $500 but gives you around 3 years Ontario driving experience to put forward to your insurance company. This was advised by my insurance broker and showed me the overall saving which paid meant it paid for itself in the first year.

Finally, if you have not already checked car insurance quotes, make sure you are sitting down with a large stiff drink! Also combine your car and contents/tenants insurance, does take a large chunk of your car ins.
Old Sep 16th 2017, 3:06 am
Just Joined

Question Re: driving licence exchange ontario

Originally Posted by evets

Take photocopies of your UK license and the paper section if you have it, as that contains the details of how long you have had your UK license.
Note: You have to surrender your UK license, and my own experience of changing license and years of experience are pretty much moot in Ontario.

Insurance companies in Ontario WILL see you as a newly passed driver and do not care how long you have had your license in the UK. 2 points to note here:
- If you have no claims bonus in the UK, at least 3 years, then you need to contact your insurance company and ask them to provide a letter, wording is very specific as they do not accept the standard letter that your insurance company issues. Check out the wiki section which has page which covers this.

- Consider doing the basic drivers education program, costs around $500 but gives you around 3 years Ontario driving experience to put forward to your insurance company. This was advised by my insurance broker and showed me the overall saving which paid meant it paid for itself in the first year. In the UK, I was paying £500 which is about half that and for a much smaller/cheaper car, so it seems about fair to me, although I will look for another quote elsewhere before I make a decision.

Finally, if you have not already checked car insurance quotes, make sure you are sitting down with a large stiff drink! Also combine your car and contents/tenants insurance, does take a large chunk of your car ins.
Thanks for the advice. I've actually been quoted just under $2k for a 2015 SUV. My first quote was almost $3k which was more like the horror stories I've read on here. Does $2k sound good considering they didn't even take in account my UK experience? Not sure how much more it would go down buy if I did manage to get them to include it?
Old Sep 16th 2017, 6:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

evets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rwgs811
Thanks for the advice. I've actually been quoted just under $2k for a 2015 SUV. My first quote was almost $3k which was more like the horror stories I've read on here. Does $2k sound good considering they didn't even take in account my UK experience? Not sure how much more it would go down buy if I did manage to get them to include it?
WOW $2k sounds way way better than my insurance which is nearly double that for a compact SUV. I personally think that is an awesome insurance rate for your 1st time.
Old Sep 17th 2017, 11:16 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by evets

Insurance companies in Ontario WILL see you as a newly passed driver and do not care how long you have had your license in the UK.
2 points to note here:

- Consider doing the basic drivers education program, costs around $500 but gives you around 3 years Ontario driving experience to put forward to your insurance company. This was advised by my insurance broker and showed me the overall saving which paid meant it paid for itself in the first year.

Johnsons, TD Meloche Monnex and several others will take UK experience into consideration.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/canad...ntario-902858/

Old Sep 18th 2017, 2:33 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Johnsons, TD Meloche Monnex and several others will take UK experience into consideration.

Is that the same as normal TD or a different company entirely. The quote I got was from TD, although they weren't taking into my UK experience, I think...