Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Different requirements for BC & Alberta Nurse Bridging?

Different requirements for BC & Alberta Nurse Bridging?

Old Dec 10th 2017, 10:09 pm
Just Joined

Shelley Bean is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Different requirements for BC & Alberta Nurse Bridging?

I know there's lots of nurses on here so just wondered if anyone else has come up against this? My husband has applied to both BC and Alberta for Psychiatric Nursing Licensure...

BC picked up on deficits with Medical / Surgical nursing and referred him to the John Collins bridging course. All seems fine and straightforward.

We thought Alberta would say the same but then they found various other issues and want him to do courses through Douglas College as well as the John Collins course. The extra courses are just straightforward psychiatric nursing courses, not even med/surgical.

I know they're different provinces and requirements can vary but I thought it would be more standard than that? We are OK to stick with BC but the discrepancy concerned us a little as they both got the same NNAS report so it made us worry that BC could have missed something and may come back with more requirements later on too. Hmmm.

Just wondered if anyone out there had any insight, thanks so much.
Old Dec 11th 2017, 2:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Yorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Different requirements for BC & Alberta Nurse Bridging?

Education in Canada is a business, I am sure your husband will have all the experience and knowledge to be an excellent professional, but the local college, licensing body and all the other agencies have to take their cut of cash from new immigrants, it is nothing short of a racket! Once he has done the required courses, he should be de-skilled enough to make the transition smoothly, once he has finally found an employer prepared to take on a foreign graduate nurse without any Canadian experience.

I hope you are taking this post seriously, I'm not kidding.