Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Construction companies in Vancouver?

Construction companies in Vancouver?

Old Apr 23rd 2014, 4:08 pm
Just Joined

Haryandlouie1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Construction companies in Vancouver?

Does anybody know of any Construction Companies hiring in Vancouver or elsewhere in BC?
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 4:16 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Construction companies in Vancouver?

Google companies, go on recruitment websites, find recruiters fort he construction industry, look at job boards (monster, indeed, workopolis, etc), search LinkedIn, etc etc etc.
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 4:21 pm
Just Joined

Done all of that! My husband is currently in Vancouver but cant seem to get past a lot of the recruitment agencies, even when applying for jobs that are a lot lower than his current position. He has sent loads of emails but gets no reply or just can not get to speak to the person in charge of hiring - feeling very disheartened at the moment!
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 4:30 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Does he have right to work, or will he need a work permit?
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 5:07 pm
Just Joined

He needs a work permit. We originally had an offer on the table a few months back but my son had been very poorly and we couldn't no longer commit to it. Now everything is fine (we were all packed and ready to go before my son got ill) and are now trying to get another job offer. We have our hearts set on Moving to Canada but everything just seems to be against us! My husband had a very good job here and has great experience in his field and has travelled back to Canada to see if he can get another offer.
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 5:22 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Haryandlouie1
He needs a work permit. We originally had an offer on the table a few months back but my son had been very poorly and we couldn't no longer commit to it. Now everything is fine (we were all packed and ready to go before my son got ill) and are now trying to get another job offer. We have our hearts set on Moving to Canada but everything just seems to be against us! My husband had a very good job here and has great experience in his field and has travelled back to Canada to see if he can get another offer.
If he's not in Canada already then he'll struggle to get a job from overseas, particularly without a work permit - that will be his biggest hurdle. Is he in Canada, or is he applying from the UK?
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 5:28 pm
Just Joined

He is currently in Canada looking for work. He has been out there for nearly two weeks- coming home Saturday. We found work in Vancouver when we were over there previously, but this trip is proving to be more difficult.
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 6:03 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Haryandlouie1
He is currently in Canada looking for work. He has been out there for nearly two weeks- coming home Saturday. We found work in Vancouver when we were over there previously, but this trip is proving to be more difficult.
Not sure what to say.

When my husband was searching from the UK (granted he had his PR but hadn't moved yet), he spent ages beforehand contacting recruitment agencies, and then saying "I will be in Toronto from x to y, I have my flights booked, and will be available in those two weeks for interviews." It gave the recruiters time to actually organise getting the interviews etc all lined up, then when my husband showed up he had the interviews ready to go. If he had spent those two weeks trying to get the interviews lined up in person it would have been a much more bleak outlook.
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 6:14 pm
Just Joined

We did exactly that before we went. He has seen a couple of recruitment agents and they are trying to get him something but it seems that not having the Canadian experience is proving to be the problem. There is another recruitment agent which has jobs that would be ideal but she won't even see him. It's all so frustrating when he has had years of construction management experience & qualifications but just can't get a job in Canada.
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 6:17 pm
Concierge

Are you sure that the construction industry is looking for foreign workers? If they have buckets of Canadians who are willing and able to do the job then that might explain it. My husband had one recruiter who told him that for banking he won't speak to anyone who doesn't have right to work already simply because there are buckets of Canadians applying, so they don't need to consider foreign workers.

(Sorry I know I'm not helping your positivity much!)
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 7:08 pm
Forum Regular

happyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond repute

Is there any reason why he's approaching recruitment agencies and not the companies direct ?