Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Blood Pressure

Blood Pressure

Old Sep 20th 2005, 7:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

SAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Blood Pressure

Hello All,

Just had medicals only to find my blood pressure was above the recommended levels. I have returned home and taken it again only to find it well within limits.

It appears it was just nerves or "white coat syndrome" as the doctor called it.

The level was high enough to justify having to visit a cardiologist for further tests.

Has anyone else had these additional tests and what is likely to happen next?

Will CHC reject based on a raised blood pressure although healthy in every other area?

SAW 04
Old Sep 20th 2005, 7:19 pm
Forum Regular

brit_in_fizroy will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Blood Pressure

Originally Posted by SAW 04
Hello All,

Just had medicals only to find my blood pressure was above the recommended levels. I have returned home and taken it again only to find it well within limits.

It appears it was just nerves or "white coat syndrome" as the doctor called it.

The level was high enough to justify having to visit a cardiologist for further tests.

Has anyone else had these additional tests and what is likely to happen next?

Will CHC reject based on a raised blood pressure although healthy in every other area?

SAW 04
Had the same problem, I had the additional tests and I had no problems with PR even though the BP was still high.
Old Sep 20th 2005, 7:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

SAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that, Ive been told to cut out caffeine, salt and alcohol
for ten days until they test it again. Its going to be a hell of a piss up at the end of ten days!

Originally Posted by brit_in_fizroy
Had the same problem, I had the additional tests and I had no problems with PR even though the BP was still high.
Old Sep 20th 2005, 7:52 pm
Forum Regular

fi_broon has much to be proud offi_broon has much to be proud offi_broon has much to be proud offi_broon has much to be proud offi_broon has much to be proud offi_broon has much to be proud offi_broon has much to be proud offi_broon has much to be proud offi_broon has much to be proud offi_broon has much to be proud offi_broon has much to be proud of

My husband had exactly the same. He went to see a cardiologist the next day (we called a BUPA hospital and stressed that we needed to see a cardiologist immediately). The DMP we saw requested an ECG and creatinine serum test.

The cardiologist took 3 BP readings, all within normal levels. The ECG was normal and we got the bloods back within 48hours, again normal. We got a report from the cardiologist to send to the DMP.

I think it probably only added a week or so to our timeline. Try not to worry about it (hubby was devestated). He cut out caffeine & nicotine for 24hrs prior to visiting the cardiologist (only to light up the minute he was all clear ).

If you have any questions, just give me a shout. Good luck.

Fi
Old Sep 20th 2005, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

PK_CA has a brilliant futurePK_CA has a brilliant futurePK_CA has a brilliant futurePK_CA has a brilliant futurePK_CA has a brilliant futurePK_CA has a brilliant future

Hi SAW 04,
My BP was also elevated during the medical tests--- but I got my PPR almost within a month after the medical test, as all other tests were normal. CIC did not ask for any additional tests though before my PPR I was also worried and expecting additional tests request from CIC.
About my BP, the DMP only advised me to consult a general physician, who put me on a couple of tablets.
Old Sep 21st 2005, 3:30 am
Cowtown

I hit the gym for a month or so before the medical, cleaned up my habits and passed the tests with no problems, although I had extra tests as a result of a childhood ilnness.

Then I got to Canada and saw loads of 300 pound people in velour lounge suits ... my first thought was eh??

It's actually an interesting fact that immigrants have a health advantage over the Canadian born - we have less problems resulting from obesity, etc - I wonder why?

The bad news is that your kids will be just as unhealthy as somebody born in Canada

Old Sep 21st 2005, 1:11 pm
Forum Regular

skigordi has a brilliant futureskigordi has a brilliant futureskigordi has a brilliant futureskigordi has a brilliant futureskigordi has a brilliant futureskigordi has a brilliant future

YOUR kids will only be as unhealthy (diet and lifestyle wise) as YOU bring them up to be.

Obesity in the UK is rising very fast and is well on te way to catching North America so I wouldn't be too smug!

Originally Posted by Cowtown
I hit the gym for a month or so before the medical, cleaned up my habits and passed the tests with no problems, although I had extra tests as a result of a childhood ilnness.

Then I got to Canada and saw loads of 300 pound people in velour lounge suits ... my first thought was eh??

It's actually an interesting fact that immigrants have a health advantage over the Canadian born - we have less problems resulting from obesity, etc - I wonder why?

The bad news is that your kids will be just as unhealthy as somebody born in Canada
Old Sep 21st 2005, 1:56 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

My blood pressure has just improved beyond belief not that I know a hugely important courier package will be with me soon.

I have to say I'm quite impressed. It was sent Monday afternoon (UK time). The UPS tracking shows that this morning it went from Kentucky to Hamilton ON, to Ottawa and is now out for delivery. All that in four hours.
Old Sep 21st 2005, 2:04 pm
Cowtown

Originally Posted by skigordi
YOUR kids will only be as unhealthy (diet and lifestyle wise) as YOU bring them up to be.
I wasn't citing personal cases, I was quoting a stats canada report into immigrant health - two of the key findings were that the longer you spent in Canada, the unhealthier you became and that immigrant children were actually healthier than Canadian born children.

As for MY kids, they've been involved in every sport available so far, we limit the amount of TV thay get to see and we don't feed them candy, chips or donuts

Originally Posted by skigordi
Obesity in the UK is rising very fast and is well on te way to catching North America so I wouldn't be too smug!
I don't live in the UK, so I wouldn't know ... I'm more concerned about my own kids potential for obesity caused by the high fat, nutrient free McDiet that the north american media pushes at them

Old Sep 30th 2005, 12:02 pm
Forum Regular

peterb is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Hope this helps and reduces your blood pressure.

I have taken medication for my blood pressure for the last 10 years. I also take statins.

My pressure was fine at the medical, but they were fully informed of my condition. I too had an ECG and then had to go for a heart scan.

No problem we were stiil granted PR status. I understand the grounds are whether your condition will cost the govt more than about $3500 p.a. as this is your so called budget in the Health Service system If not then you are not considered a drain on their services and still OK to go.

Good Luck, and breath deeply and slowly!

Peterb
Old Sep 30th 2005, 12:16 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Cowtown
As for MY kids, they've been involved in every sport available so far......
On the subject of which, my stepson has just announced that he's been picked for the school football team, as quarterback. He's not very big. I hope for his sake he's fast. That's done wonders for his mother's blood pressure.
Old Sep 30th 2005, 12:39 pm
Just Joined

GlosMaple is an unknown quantity at this point

I too was diagnosed with slightly elevated blood pressure whilst working in the US. This also just happened to be before I had to go for my medicals.

I volunteered the condition advised them of the drugs used to control the condition and didn't hear anything ............other than a few months later here's your PRC and welcome to Canada.

So don't worry I'm sure everything will be just fine with your application.

Regarding the elevation in blood pressure, just keep an eye on it.........it is termed the "silent killer" if it is left untreated. But as you say it seems to be a case of BP brought on by men in white coats!!!

Good Luck