Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Best time to leave the UK for Canada?

Best time to leave the UK for Canada?

Old Nov 20th 2011, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

cherryj has a brilliant futurecherryj has a brilliant futurecherryj has a brilliant futurecherryj has a brilliant futurecherryj has a brilliant futurecherryj has a brilliant future
Default Best time to leave the UK for Canada?

Me & my husband have the IEC visa, and must enter Canada by July 2012.
We are currently deciding when to leave the UK and at the moment, it's looking like March or June (for various reasons)

I suspect it's probably much the same, but are there any benefits of leaving sooner/later, perhaps relating to the UK tax year? E.g. are we best to leave before the end of the 11/12 tax year, or after, or does it really not make any difference?

Thanks in advance for any advice
Old Nov 20th 2011, 3:36 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best time to leave the UK for Canada?

Originally Posted by cherryj
We are currently deciding when to leave the UK and at the moment, it's looking like March or June (for various reasons)

I suspect it's probably much the same, but are there any benefits of leaving sooner/later, perhaps relating to the UK tax year? E.g. are we best to leave before the end of the 11/12 tax year, or after, or does it really not make any difference?

If will be much warmer in June than March. Other than that no advantages I can think of.
Old Nov 20th 2011, 4:49 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

If you come in June there's a possibility that the icing-hockey season might be almost nearly just about finished soon.
Old Nov 20th 2011, 5:02 pm

TheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond repute

June would be preferable for anyone with school age children as the move would coincide with the end of the school year and they could start afresh in the new one in September. In that way, they wouldn't be starting a new school a couple of months before the end of a year. Not sure that this applies to you or not though.

All the best with your move!
Old Nov 20th 2011, 6:02 pm
Corn Nibbler

cornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud of

Check how much time you'll have left on your visas if you travel in June.

Leave enough time in your plans that you can reschedule if something prevents you from travelling. That might push you towards March, or at least earlier in June.
Old Nov 20th 2011, 6:13 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

12:50pm
Old Nov 20th 2011, 6:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
12:50pm
I think about 10.30am would be better, so you arrive in daylight. If it's June.
Old Nov 20th 2011, 9:26 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m
I think about 10.30am would be better, so you arrive in daylight. If it's June.
It'd get you into Vancouver for around 2pm. That way you can have a sleep in before heading to the airport and then arrive just in time for afternoon tea :sunglasses:
Old Nov 20th 2011, 9:29 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Disadvantage of arriving between now and April: deadly cold and snow.
Disadvantage of arriving after that point: unbearable heat and disease carrying mosquitoes.
Old Nov 20th 2011, 9:32 pm
Beep

Originally Posted by Editha
Disadvantage of arriving between now and April: deadly cold and snow.
Disadvantage of arriving after that point: unbearable heat and disease carrying mosquitoes.
What if they're flying to the West Coast?
Old Nov 20th 2011, 9:34 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

What if they're flying to the West Coast?
Lucky them, if they are.
Old Nov 21st 2011, 12:42 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

It'd get you into Vancouver for around 2pm. That way you can have a sleep in before heading to the airport and then arrive just in time for afternoon tea :sunglasses:
If they arrive in Toronto between 4 and 7pm they can make the $5 drinks at Jilly's on Queen and Broadview.
Old Nov 21st 2011, 12:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Tax could be an issue. In Canada it's by calendar year. I arrived in Canada late in the tax year (September) and I got a nasty shock on my first tax return. I owed money because of some confusion about my entitlement to the personal exemption. It might be beneficial to consult a tax professional in the UK before deciding when to leave. As someone else said, the school year is usually the biggest issue for anyone with kids.
Old Nov 21st 2011, 10:37 pm
BTJ
Occasionally Useful

BTJ is on a distinguished road

Well correct me if I'm wrong but you get to use your entire personal tax allowance in the UK even if you leave during the tax year. Thus provided you earn less than ~£8k between April and June you should get all you income tax back, which is nice. And you don't subsequently have to pay this to the Canadians.